Another AxeFxII Video at Tone Merchants-Mike Young

Is that buzz there when you are plugged into other equipment or just from the AxeFX (I know that it'd be tough to check as there is no headphone output). Have you tried using the ground lift on the back because it really sounds like it'd be a ground loop issue if it's not effecting tube amps which wouldn't be plugged into another device directly.

Yep done the groundlift, unplugged every single PowerPoint in the house etc etc, as mentioned in previous post doesn't seem to happen with other amps. Been through all this on the forum before, I just have to accept it unfortunately.

Yep. That's what you're hearing in the video. For my ears, the EAW is very neutral and very transparent. It doesn't get in the way. It has power for days and can handle anything I throw at it. It's also built like a tank. The one downside is that it's big and it's heavy...but so am I. :lol

I found a used pair at a really good price and felt like I couldn't pass them up. Would have gone for the NT29's if I'd found them first...a bit smaller and lighter, but am very happy with the NT59's.

Another strong positive attribute is their broad soundstage (not sure that's the right term). What I'm trying to say is that you don't get the feeling you're playing through a small floor monitor that's barking at you from the corner or at your feet. It's very satisfying and pretty much put my ears at ease. I'm used to my primary monitor source being a floor wedge with my 2X12 off to the side behind me. I was afraid I was going to miss that. I don't.

Very nice...

+1 about the playing and the beautiful tones.

If it could sound that good or close recording through USB on the same settings and played back through good monitors THAT would be amazing.

The tones here are so good that it's almost silly to compare them to anything, meaning for what they are they are just about perfect and yes , they remind me of EJs multi amp rig.

The cleans are really great because they have a beautiful sustain and are clean but still sound full and rich- I'm not waiting for the gain to kick in- just enjoying them on their own.

So again would these tones be close to this rich with a good pair of Studio Monitors - do you think ?

Also - I'm a non owner ( yet ) - are these tones achieved by just the Amp Parameters and Cab IRs without requiring parametric EQ and other parts of the Menu ? The reason I ask is I seem to remember the "recipes" for some of the great tones on the Ultra were fairly complex- the ease of dialing in great tones on this one - will make the unit irresistible for many.

And then there's the fact that the whole tube Vs. Axe thing could be flipped backwards- where people will hear Axe 2 tones on albums and the Web that are difficult or impossible to achieve with tube amps- that's going to a tough one to swallow......

Last edited:
+1 about the playing and the beautiful tones.

If it could sound that good or close recording through USB on the same settings and played back through good monitors THAT would be amazing.

The tones here are so good that it's almost silly to compare them to anything, meaning for what they are they are just about perfect and yes , they remind me of EJs multi amp rig.

The cleans are really great because they have a beautiful sustain and are clean but still sound full and rich- I'm not waiting for the gain to kick in- just enjoying them on their own.

So again would these tones be close to this rich with a good pair of Studio Monitors - do you think ?

Also - I'm a non owner ( yet ) - are these tones achieved by just the Amp Parameters and Cab IRs without requiring parametric EQ and other parts of the Menu ?

Same through studio monitors? IMO, yes. I believe the NT59's are pretty flat. Caveat: This is per numerous testimonials online and EAW's published specs. I know of no qualified 3rd party verification of this so it is non-engineer opinion only, not authoritative. That out of the way...when they showed up used, I bought them specifically because I thought they were likely among the flattest live sound speakers I could get (also after having auditioned them twice in the seller's garage...to the point of nearly exasperating him :) ). Of course, you're getting a lot of the room on the video, but the core tone is from what I would call a fairly true FRFR solution.

All of the patches were set right before I played - in other words, very little setup time. I would simply tweak drive and tone, give a nod to Mark, and he would "role tape". All of the patches had the same delay with various mix ratios (the highest being the volume swell patch). The volume swell patch had some delay modulation added (too much, as it turns out IMO) and some reverb as well (I forget which one). Nothing else - no compression, no eq, or other effects. So essentially yes, amp model and cab IR. Interesting...it just occurred to me that I never changed the mic setting. I have no idea if there was a mic selected or not. That's going to bug me...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I started with the "Sultans" preset, defeated all the effects except for delay or reverb as the case may be, selected an amp and IR and went from there. If there was a mic selected, it's likely the one that is set in that patch.

Last edited:
Mike, enjoyed your playing and the tones you were producing out of that rig. Sweet!
Also, thanks for your impressions on the II. Were those comparisons of the II and the Ultra based after playing through Firmware 11 on Gen1?
'cause I've noticed improvements to how the Axe(Gen1) responds to my playing attack,volume rolled back..etc.

Mike, enjoyed your playing and the tones you were producing out of that rig. Sweet!
Also, thanks for your impressions on the II. Were those comparisons of the II and the Ultra based after playing through Firmware 11 on Gen1?
'cause I've noticed improvements to how the Axe(Gen1) responds to my playing attack,volume rolled back..etc.

My Ultra's still at 10.05. I do need to get on that.

Mark and Mike:

Thanks much for this.

Incredibly playing and tones Mike. Be proud!

And I think this shows more than ever that your FRFR solution MATTERS quite a bit.

One of these days I'd like to see (hear?) a side by side with the Ultra or Standard vs the Axe II. Same amp model, same cab, maybe an A/B box to toggle just to try and get an idea of the differences in the new algorithm's...

Oh yeah, and Mike, Firmware 11 really does make a difference in the things you described (I totally understood the 'flubby' comment...it doesn't seem like the right word, but it affected the high end too.) I feel like MUCH of that is solved with 11.

Ron

Mike- thank you for your response to my questions.

If Axe 2 will get close to this with Mackie or Adam or whatever type of Monitors in the studio or home and sound close to this through the USB and played back, that's a great, and new era kind of IMO.

One of my recording tricks for " direct " is to Mic the Monitors and mix the direct and mic'ed sound, not sure whether that would be necessary with Axe Fx 2-

BUT- we can hear the results of micing a full range monitor system AFTER using a Cab IR on your demo, so it's a workable solution, even though it's going to be "new" for many.- Like an established recording engineer saying - "You want me to Mic a full range Monitor AFTER you use a Cab IR ?".

One of the amazing things about your demo with the Axe Fx2 is how smooth and even the harmonics are on the chords with the gain/crunch setting-awesome- I'd never even guess that it was a modeler or simulation- and most tube amps won't do it this well either, sorry to say.

Last edited:
Mike- thank you for your response to my questions.

If Axe 2 will get close to this with Mackie or Adam or whatever type of Monitors in the studio or home and sound close to this through the USB and played back, that's a great, and new era kind of IMO.

One of my recording tricks for " direct " is to Mic the Monitors and mix the direct and mic'ed sound, not sure whether that would be necessary with Axe Fx 2-

BUT- we can hear the results of micing a full range monitor system AFTER using a Cab IR on your demo, so it's a workable solution, even though it's going to be "new" for many.

One of the amazing things about your demo with the Axe Fx2 is how smooth and even the harmonics are on the chords with the gain/crunch setting-awesome- I'd never even guess that it was a modeler or simulation- and most tube amps won't do it this well either, sorry to say.

I've only done a little bit of recording with this...all of it direct. I use a pair of Event Project Studio 8's. The Ultra sounded pretty good direct, but I'm definitely a novice at the "recording engineer" thing. I'm anxious to hear the II direct on a recording at home. I'm pretty confident it'll be very satisfying.

Yeah, I'm with you on the smooth and even harmonics on chords. Even complex chords sounded good. I played through a pre-rocktron Egnater TOL 100 for over 10 years before getting the Ultra and was very happy with that amp - particularly with it's rendering of complex chords even at high gain settings. Very smooth. It seems to me that the II can came closer to the TOL than the Ultra. I still miss some of the nuances in the Egnater's tone on each of the 4 channels. Would love to have those channels modeled HINT HINT. I still have it Cliff. :)

I also still have the THD 2X12 with THD Longhorns...

Mike

Last edited:
I've only done a little bit of recording with this...all of it direct. I use a pair of Event Project Studio 8's. The Ultra sounded pretty good direct, but I'm definitely a novice at the "recording engineer" thing. I'm anxious to hear the II direct on a recording at home. I'm pretty confident it'll be very satisfying.

Yeah, I'm with you on the smooth and even harmonics on chords. Even complex chords sounded good. I played through a pre-rocktron Egnater TOL 100 for over 10 years before getting the Ultra and was very happy with that amp - particularly with it's rendering of complex chords even at high gain settings. Very smooth. It seems to me that the II can came closer to the TOL than the Ultra. I still miss some of the nuances in the Egnater's tone on each of the 4 channels. Would love to have those channels modeled HINT HINT. I still have it Cliff. :)

I also still have the THD 2X12 with THD Longhorns...

Mike

I used to have the passive Event 20-20s and they were not very flat, a little bass shy BUT I always thought they would be a good mini PA speaker because they could get so loud, at high volumes the bass filled out but I don't do anything at loud volume.

You might try a line out from the Egnator into the Axe and just use the Cab IRs and EFX ( Cab IRs love tube inputs ) but with the Axe 2 you may get there anyway.

The TOL Amps probably had a similar preamp to the Egnator IE 4, which I've never played but is supposed to be one of the best preamps ever for guitar.

You can see how when recording "direct" you might want to use a MIC as well on the monitors, judging by how great the tones are on the Edirol Recording-( you mix in a little or a lot of the miced sound with "direct" sound , works even at very low volumes when you get it right).

Either way the AXE 2 looks like it is really something- you can't argue with beautiful harmonic structure like that - tubes or not ........

You have a beautiful touch on the guitar Mike so I'm sure we'd like to hear more when you're ready.

Last edited:
Yep done the groundlift, unplugged every single PowerPoint in the house etc etc, as mentioned in previous post doesn't seem to happen with other amps. Been through all this on the forum before, I just have to accept it unfortunately.

I have the same problem. Things can get noisy, even with humbuckers. My P90's with gain are terrible. I tried shutting off every circuit breaker but one, and I still had problems. I can drive 15 minutes to church and my P90's are quiet. I must be near a large electromagnetic source.

Terry.

I have the same problem. Things can get noisy, even with humbuckers. My P90's with gain are terrible. I tried shutting off every circuit breaker but one, and I still had problems. I can drive 15 minutes to church and my P90's are quiet. I must be near a large electromagnetic source.

Terry.

Yeah it's a pain in the butt huh.
Wish there were some way to overcome this

Just listened to Mike's video again.... just plain wow... Mike, I'm pretty sure you are suppose to move to Seattle and teach me some of your chops... Love the tone, love the phrasing. Easily my favorite AxeII video so far... and that's quite a compliment given those submitted... You are one of the primary reasons I'm now (depressingly low) on the AxeII waiting list....

Thanks man :)

As far as Seattle goes, well...unlikely unless you're a fabulously wealthy benefactor looking for a court musician. :lol

Back
Top Bottom