Another AxeFx II first day impression

Man you guys...this is so not hype. I can snag pretty much any tone I'd ever need right out of the box. Rectos, Marks, Marshalls, monster delays, echoes, ambient swells, whatever. I probably sat there for 12 hours yesterday just playing. I can't remember the last time I did that. This thing is awesome.

This thing is a game changer!
Dig in man... is limitless!!
AND... don't forget to try the IRs power!!! Mindblowing!!

Tone for years, buddy. It's all in the IR's. In the cab block, set Lo cut to 100Hz, add 25-35% Room, and you'd be hard-pressed to find something you don't like.

Fender Champ into a 4x12 Greenbacks was a pleasant surprise for me.

Also, you might check Fremen's presets- he has some really cool routing techniques for delays, verbs, etc. Mark Day's presets are really good about letting the amp's tone "pop," even with fx engaged.

I've been using the Axe Fx since the Ultra. Bought the II as soon as it was released. I am still astounded at just how good it sounds. I'm using FRFR monitors and regularly stop and shake my head at the impossibility of the reality that there are no glowing tubes, power transformers, capacitors, or mic'd up vintage cabs behind a curtain. I could go on and on…

An interesting note - I used to do all sorts of things to get the sound I wanted: plexiglass barriers, angling the amp just right, lots of delay, etc. I am more an more enamored with just an amp and cab setup - dry and in your face - especially the plexi. I find I'm learning more about vintage amps with this thing than I would if I had the actual amps.

Reading this thread I just realised that I used the Axe FX as if it is a real amp.
I pick the amp and then just twiddle the EQ around until it sounds better than just good.
Chuck in an OD, add a reverb and maybe a delay and you have maybe 80% of eventualities covered.

Holy shit.

More later.

My (bedroom shredder) rig prior to incorporating the Axe-FX a few weeks ago was the following: (1) Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 + (2) Soldano HR 25+ + (3) modified Mesa 3ch Dual Rectifier. To my switchable rig, I added the Axe-FX. I simply love it. It is leaps and bounds better than my old school POD and my most recent TC Electronic G-System (not an amp & cab modeler to be sure). The user exchange is outstanding as well. I simply nailed the Dimebag Cemetery Gates sound in a matter of minutes and am completely sold on the uniqueness of this device along with the associated products (MFC 101, Axe-Edit software, etc.). It's a brilliant system. While I am never going to get rid of my analog amps (call it nostalgia or whatever), the Axe-Fx--and note, I'm still a newbie in terms of exploring this box--has taken prominence. I find myself drawn to it every time I pick up the guitar, relegating my other (more expensive) amps and pedals to the back burner.

Cliff, if you're ever looking for accredited investors...ping me! Lol. But seriously. No jokes.

This guy gets it. Just because a Champ has an 8" speaker doesn't mean you can't try it through a 4x12. Sometimes you might be surprised.

I can remember back before the II we were mixing the oval with other cabs to come up with some really interesting sounds.

My (bedroom shredder) rig prior to incorporating the Axe-FX a few weeks ago was the following: (1) Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 + (2) Soldano HR 25+ + (3) modified Mesa 3ch Dual Rectifier. To my switchable rig, I added the Axe-FX. I simply love it. It is leaps and bounds better than my old school POD and my most recent TC Electronic G-System (not an amp & cab modeler to be sure). The user exchange is outstanding as well. I simply nailed the Dimebag Cemetery Gates sound in a matter of minutes and am completely sold on the uniqueness of this device along with the associated products (MFC 101, Axe-Edit software, etc.). It's a brilliant system. While I am never going to get rid of my analog amps (call it nostalgia or whatever), the Axe-Fx--and note, I'm still a newbie in terms of exploring this box--has taken prominence. I find myself drawn to it every time I pick up the guitar, relegating my other (more expensive) amps and pedals to the back burner.

Cliff, if you're ever looking for accredited investors...ping me! Lol. But seriously. No jokes.

Dude, did you share the Cemetery Gates preset? I want that one!

Back
Top Bottom