Another Axe-Fx III Story

JoKeR III

Fractal Fanatic
Had a guy I'm mentoring over to talk shop a bit, young kid and pretty good player, and he eventually spotted the one guitar he ogles every time he's over. I handed it to him and let him plug into my Axe-Fx III and play away. He asked for a Vox tone - done, already had a preset for that. Then he wanted more of a Rock tone. Toss in the Brit #34 and a Lerxst cab (I know, not traditional but I like it for Marshalls), instant gratification. Then he wanted an ambient Matchless. Again, had a basic preset that just needed some Plex Verb and one of the 'cloud' reverbs. Then he showed me a YouTube video with a uniqueish tone with a riff he wanted to learn, I had the Axe III dialed in pretty close in about 2 minutes.

All he could do is shake his head in amusement which turned to bewilderment when he realized he was playing through studio monitors. Almost have him convinced to ditch his 65 Amps and Strymon setup but the amp and pedalboard are still "too cool". Hey, he's only 17 so there's still time, but by 18 I should have him converted. The versatility and ease of creating any tone out there simply makes the Axe III by far the coolest piece of guitar gear on the planet. Might be a slight exaggeration but hey, I'm a guitar player and it's true in my little world.

Back
Top Bottom