Annoying transient plectrum sound

Alarto

Inspired
I recently took notice of annoying transient plectrum sound that is pretty prominent in my crunch and lead presets. It is not that well-known high bitch chirp or metallic sound but kind of friction-like really unmusical sound. It "ignites" when I hit a string, is pretty loud and then disappears immediately following the expected sound. Very very hard to describe it :) I thought it could be microphonic pups but no - it's not even near of that. I have played with similar strings and plectrums for years. Then I remembered that the "Pick Attack" parameter was removed. And yes, it is very possible that it started after Ares updates but I'm not blaming that, not so sure at all. I don't mess with any special parameters, just Capt Hook amp & effects -> Matrix -> Zilla 212. Any ideas?

Turn down the 'definition' control as well, I like some of those pick.noises so I normally turn it up a bit!

Thank you both! In addition to the normal picking, I just went through my guitar with Logic Pro's EQ analyzer for all possible weird noises I can create :) Could not find any particular cause or frequency this way. Need to check with Axe tomorrow.

A suggestion, which you may already know.

The Looper can be really helpful for this. Try playing a brief passage, using a technique that enhances the pick noise you are trying to reduce. Then, play back the loop, while trying PEQ, Definition control, and other parameters that you think might address the issue.

Read old stuff + wiki and found out that pick attack contains all frequencies which I also experienced my self with EQ analyzer. Gate/Expander, Supply Sag and B+ Time Constant could help. Pick Attack is good, I just need find a way to make it better.

I just checked. Axe-edit v3.14.5, and it's right there on the "Dynamics" tab.
Hmmm... I was pretty sure it was removed. Maybe I'm thinking of the Axe Fx III. Sorry for confusion.

What FW version are you on just out of curiosity? I've been on Axe Fx III for quite a while so it all starts to blend together :)

Here are my presets. I don't use Cab IRs in these presets. Exp pedals controls Wah and Amp boost. My setup is Axe Fx 2 (Mark I), FW = Ares 2.0 => Matrix GT1000FX => Zilla Modern 212 with Celestion Alnico Creams.

Yes, the Pick Attack parameter is still there, both in Axe-Edit and Axe UI, but it does not affect the sound.

Thank you in advance if you find something or can suggest more ideas! Now that I have the device at home, I don't believe I can find satisfactory results simply because you must play LOUD :) But I will try every possible solution next Monday... Anyway, let's discuss! Thanks!

Attachments

• CLEAN.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
  • RHYTHM.syx
  • CRUNCH.syx
  • LEAD1.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
  • LEAD2.syx
I have had this very problem with all the Axe FXs I have owned. My original II Plus did this and it was replaced due to a different issue. The replacement did it. I upgraded to the 3 and it does it as well. I prefer to run the AXE with a power amp into a cab with cab sims off. I had the problem with every power amp I purchased, Matrix, Quilter, and SD Power Stage 700. It does not do it as much when I run it into a friends Freidman FRFR cab with cab sims on. I have a post on here about it and have tried everything everyone suggested. I have noticed with Firmware 14 there is a new know on the setup I/O screen called Input 1 Gain. Cranking this up helps somewhat but does not make it go away. It does not matter what amp model I use or IR. Happens on default preset High Gain amps. Nothing else I own acts like this. I would love to get this worked out but I am thinking the AXE is just not made to be used with a power amp and cab. But hard to believe as I know Metallica uses these with the Matrix. When I play at band volumn the gain on the high end is some how affected, like it has less gain and starts to sound shrill and harsh with un-natruaul artifacts in the sound. At room volumn, I love it, nice and warm sounding. No, it is not the fletcher munson effect I am experiencing. I plugged into a used Kemper this past weekend and when I turned it up, IT DID NOT act like this. So I bought a Kemper that arrives tomorrow. If someone has a fix for this please tell me.

Back
Top Bottom