Annoying side-tone (dissonant interval) with some amps

Roman K

Hello!

I recently bought AX8, and seems there is a problem - a strange dissonant side-tone when using some of the amps. It sounds like a dissonant interval to the note you take. It is not very loud, but enough to ruin the tone.
I attach sound file to show it.

Right now I found this problem the most while using Plexi 100W HIGH, 1959 SLP Treble, but many other amps also have this side-tone, just in smaller amount.
The dissonant side-tone becomes louder with more gain and especially when using neck pickup.
I am pretty sure that the problem is inside the amp block, because when I remove it from the chain, the annoying side-tone disappears, even if I keep engaged an overdrive pedal, which gives a lot of distortion.

Please, help me!
Maybe there are some settings to remove this effect??
I like the sounds of AX8, but this problem is very frustrating!

Hello!

I recently bought AX8, and seems there is a problem - a strange dissonant side-tone when using some of the amps. It sounds like a dissonant interval to the note you take. It is not very loud, but enough to ruin the tone.
I attach sound file to show it.

Right now I found this problem the most while using Plexi 100W HIGH, 1959 SLP Treble, but many other amps also have this side-tone, just in smaller amount.
The dissonant side-tone becomes louder with more gain and especially when using neck pickup.
I am pretty sure that the problem is inside the amp block, because when I remove it from the chain, the annoying side-tone disappears, even if I keep engaged an overdrive pedal, which gives a lot of distortion.

Please, help me!
Maybe there are some settings to remove this effect??
I like the sounds of AX8, but this problem is very frustrating!

No bug. The ghost notes are there in the real amps. To get rid of them you can set the power supply type in the amp block to DC.

Last edited:
No bug. The ghost notes are there in the real amps. To get rid of them you can set the power supply type in the amp block to DC.
No kidding! That's really good to know. That side tone has run me away from a few amps... I couldn't even figure out where to start to dial it out. Now I know!

find yourself a (real) vintage Plexi, dime it, take cover, and listen to the beautiful ghost notes it produces! I just love to which detail the Axe reproduces those anomalies that make certain tube amps so full of character...

The way it is done in a real amp is to raise the "B+ Time Constant" or reduce the "Mains Impedance (Sag)". Raising the time constant will make the amp "slower" and reducing the impedance will make the amp "stiffer". It's all about tradeoffs. Part of the appeal of those old Plexis is the fast response and bouncy feel. The side-effect of this is ghost notes.

Back
Top Bottom