Annoying problem; bug? Wah block content (NOT resolved)

In the Wah Control's modifier menu, turn off PC RST, then bypass the Wah block, and save the preset.
This solves it for me.
Okay - I’ll try that when I get home. So when you unplugged your EV and turned the Axe back on, the Wah was defaulted to off? That’s promising. Thanks!

@yek - nope; didn't work. Can you post the preset as it's configured for you? The PC Reset set to "On" gives me the same results; with no cable connected, the Wah Block is on and fully engaged.

Edit: wait... it seems if I change presets and then return to one with the Wah, then it's off. I guess that'll do. Still kinda janky, but definitely much preferable to simply switch presets a couple times when I turn the Axe on than to have to add/delete/configure blocks.

Edit 2: Nevermind; it works only for that exact preset. The same wah block on other presets is now behaving weirdly. I'm gonna see if I can copy/paste the "working" Wah block into other presets. Ugh. What a mess.

Last edited:
You need to make sure the wah is stored as bypassed in all scenes you plan to use. In the one you posted, FracTool shows it's engaged in scenes 2-7. It's easier to do this with PC RST on because you have control over the actual bypass state after loading the preset.

@Bakerman - Sorry, it doesn't work. I changed the control in the block to "External 2," left the initial value of External 2 at 0%, and changed External 2's control to be FC1 Pedal 1. It just doesn't work. When you turn the Axe III off, unplug the cable, then turn it on, the Wah block continues to default to on and full :(
It looks like you might have not tried the last step I mentioned: "It may or may not be necessary to switch the Ext Ctrl assignment from FC 1 Pedal 1 to "none" when the pedal is absent."

I'm pretty sure that will work if Yek's suggestion doesn't work consistently for some reason. You still have to store the wah bypassed in all scenes, so check that first.

Modifier changes will only affect the current preset. All your other affected presets will need to be updated as well.
Yeah, I'm tracking that lol.

It looks like you might have not tried the last step I mentioned: "It may or may not be necessary to switch the Ext Ctrl assignment from FC 1 Pedal 1 to "none" when the pedal is absent."
I'm not interested in anything that involves changing settings based on what's plugged in. I think Yek's advice worked; I just have to load the initial preset, then change presets, then change back (since with the PC Reset, it doesn't seem to count powering on as a PC). If that's as good as it gets, I'll take it. I would hope they would address this in an update at some point. If you have things that require an expression pedal, and the expression pedal is not plugged in, it should sense it and default to an assigned setting. I very much appreciate you taking the time to help!

I think Yek's advice worked; I just have to load the initial preset, then change presets, then change back (since with the PC Reset, it doesn't seem to count powering on as a PC). If that's as good as it gets, I'll take it.

One last thing you could try is setting this Ext Ctrl's init. value to 100%. This will avoid the 1st preset engaged block issue on the Axe II at least. I described the reason in item #3 here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wah-wont-turn-off-dang-it.128835/post-1570718

I would hope they would address this in an update at some point. If you have things that require an expression pedal, and the expression pedal is not plugged in, it should sense it and default to an assigned setting.

It works exactly like that now. The initial value setting is exactly for the purpose of not having an expression pedal plugged in. You just have to make sure it is configured correctly. Many of the factory presets are setup with auto-engage on a wah block and none of them default to on when no pedal is plugged in or configured.

It works exactly like that now. The initial value setting is exactly for the purpose of not having an expression pedal plugged in. You just have to make sure it is configured correctly. Many of the factory presets are setup with auto-engage on a wah block and none of them default to on when no pedal is plugged in or configured.

With the factory presets it's because they're using SPD style autoengage. This won't cause the block to engage if the pedal/value is static at 100%. With POS autoengage options (and off value below 50%) you need to enable PC Reset when the source is an actual pedal jack that registers as 100% when there's no pedal connected.

In all these examples the init. value doesn't really matter once you've switched to another preset after booting.

Back
Top Bottom