Annoying problem; bug? Wah block content (NOT resolved)

Ugly Bunny

Power User
EDIT: Still not fixed :(

-----OP--------
Okay, so this is driving me nuts.

If I put a wah block in my preset, then assign my EV1 to control it, then take my rig to practice but leave the EV1 at home, the wah block now defaults to "on." At the beginning of practice I have to go through ALL my presets that I'll be using throughout the evening and delete the wah block, then add it back in when I get home to practice at home. I used to think I was just accidentally saving it in the on position, since my cat occasionally lays on it.

Is there any way to make it so the block doesn't default to "on" when the EV1 isn't plugged in? Thanks!

Last edited:

If I put a wah block in my preset, then assign my EV1 to control it, then take my rig to practice but leave the EV1 at home, the wah block now defaults to "on." At the beginning of practice I have to go through ALL my presets that I'll be using throughout the evening and delete the wah block, then add it back in when I get home to practice at home. I used to think I was just accidentally saving it in the on position, since my cat occasionally lays on it.

Is there any way to make it so the block doesn't default to "on" when the EV1 isn't plugged in? Thanks!
How do you connect the EV1 to the Axe? How do you engage the wah?

Bring the EV1 to rehearsal. It's not that big!

There is also the PC Reset (Manual Page 56) I'm not sure if this only works when there is controller connected or if one is missing then the initial value setting of the external controller wins? I'd hope PC Reset would be the winner in that case. One thing with the PC Reset is that value needs to be changed via the hardware... you can set it to on in AxeEdit but apparently not actually set what the value is. I was messing with this last week and I could not find a way to set the value aside from the hardware. I posed a question to the forum a week or so ago but got not response... https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/pc-reset-value-can-it-be-set-via-axe-edit.163143/

Are the EV's smaller than the Boss 500s? Thos things are huge tanks. I use them but Im interested in the EV's for an all Fractal board.

I appreciate it; I would literally have never found that otherwise :D
EDIT: And, of course, it's the ONE external controller that's defaulted to 100% :laughing:

Are you mad? It's the biggest expression pedal I've ever seen in my life lol! That, and the bad my FC goes in is pretty small lol.
I have 3 Boss 500's & An EV1. I'm over 65 years old & have no problem taking them to rehearsal LAMO!
And, yes, the EV's & Boss 500's are about the same size but the 500's might weigh a little more. Mine are attached to a pedal board & I don't feel like prying one off to compare the weight.

Last edited:
UPDATE: changing the default position per the manual as suggested by @yek didn't work. There are no other possible options that might affect the default value of the wah block that I can see. It works fine when the EV1 is plugged into pedal 1 on my FC6, but as soon as I go to practice and don't bring my EV1, it defaults to wah fully engaged.

Any further suggestions?

On the Axe-FX II if you either enable PC Reset or use a "SPD" autoengage type, the wah should stay off even when an unused pedal port is read as 100%. You might need to ensure the wah is saved in bypass state by leaving and returning to the preset after adjusting, which should allow front panel bypass control.

Otherwise: Do you have the FC pedal port assigned as an External Control, with the Ext Ctrl selected as modifier source? I thought someone here confirmed the Ext Ctrl initial value setting (should be 0% in this case) gets used with this approach. Even if it didn't, all you'd need to at at most is set the Ext Ctrl to "none" or some random CC# so the init. value can be used. (I'm not sure if the III reflects init. value adjustments immediately. If you don't do this before powering down when you know the pedal won't be there next time, you might have to adjust then restart. On the Axe II a restart isn't required.)

@Bakerman thanks, but none of that solved my problem.

Anyone else? I can't possibly be the only one who has a Wah block controlled by the EV1 who doesn't take it everywhere I take the Axe... Regardless, the Wah block should default to "off" if there is no expression pedal connected. This is quite frustrating; I'd sincerely appreciate some help from someone who can for sure help me fix it; @FractalAudio, @yek , @2112 ? Please? Anybody?

You could wire up a "stunt pedal" dummy plug. Take a 1/4 TRS plug and solder a 10k resistor across the ring and sleeve connectors and then short the tip connector to the sleeve connector. If you position it right, you can screw the plug barrel back on. That will appears to the FC like an expression pedal that is permanently at the heel down position. It's easy to carry along, and easily swapped out for the real pedal with no need to change your presets at all.

What is your source for the wah control modifier? Is it "FC 1 Pedal 1" or an External Control?

I think if you carefully follow the steps in my second paragraph above, it will work. Set the wah control source to "Ext Ctrl n". Set Ext Ctrl n to "FC 1 Pedal 1" in the I/O menu. Make sure Ext Ctrl n has its initial value set to 0%. It may or may not be necessary to switch the Ext Ctrl assignment from FC 1 Pedal 1 to "none" when the pedal is absent.

I can probably try this on an Axe III sometime this weekend and take a quick video if nobody is able to verify whether this works in the next 24 hours or so.

Using the External Controller as the source works just like it does in the II. If there's no pedal plugged in, it uses the initial value setting in the MIDI/Remote menu. I just verified this on my III running 12.14 and FC12. Many of the factory presets are setup with a wah block set to auto-engage with speed medium on External 1 controller. You don't have to change the external controller assignment if the pedal is absent. It still uses the initial value as expected.

Also, if you use the speed settings for auto engage instead of the position settings, it will also not auto engage regardless of the initial value setting. The speed settings require the value to change at a minimum rate before auto engage kicks in. When no pedal is plugged in the value doesn't change at all. It stays at the initial value setting and therefore does not trigger autoengage.

You can also use the position setting for autoengage, but you have to make sure your initial value setting is beyond the range of the off value set for autoengage like Bakerman said above.

Last edited:
@Bakerman - Sorry, it doesn't work. I changed the control in the block to "External 2," left the initial value of External 2 at 0%, and changed External 2's control to be FC1 Pedal 1. It just doesn't work. When you turn the Axe III off, unplug the cable, then turn it on, the Wah block continues to default to on and full :(

In the Wah Control's modifier menu, turn off PC RST, then bypass the Wah block, and save the preset.
This solves it for me.

Back
Top Bottom