Announcing the OwnHammer High Gain Essentials

Any plans on having some Vintage 30s put in the Marshall cab for HGE Libraries? Saw there was quite a few new Marshall options on the site this week.

About plans... Would be a Mesa Rectifier Traditional 4x12" with stock speakers (ENG V30) IR in the near (or not so near) future?
That cab deserves to be in the High Gain Essentials for sure. I would buy that in a blink, and some other forumites too.

For the record, that cab is the old named Mesa Stiletto Cab ;)

I have roughly 55 different kinds of speakers and 20 cabs of various sizes and configurations, and my hope is to sample every permutation over the long haul starting with the most popular configurations. In this regard, yes, there will be many different kinds of V30's in that cab. So far as the Mesa Traditional/Stiletto 4x12, I don't currently own one but am always checking the Craigslist for it and various other cabs. :)

I *love* the new G12H "black back" additions to the Low Gain / Mid Gain / High Gain Essentials libraries.
Both 55Hz and 75Hz variations. Sweet.

Wow, so many alternative have arrived.

Since RW cabs were released, I have been struggling with various sims and IR's with SS power amps.

Today, I returned to my old love (Sperimental impulses, which are captured by tube p.a.'s) and voila! The tone I was seeking was there!

So I will lean towards tube PA IR's since Alu's IR's were captured by tube poweramps until the end of this week. I know the ideal ones are the ones that are captured by solid state power amps, but I will just give four days, nothing compared to four years, right??

Since the tube IR's are a bit more scooped compared to the SS ones, could you please suggest the one among the new alternatives which is the least scooped? I will pick the 5881 IR's of them.

Take my money, but not all of it! :)

I love Ownhammer! :)

I *love* the new G12H "black back" additions to the Low Gain / Mid Gain / High Gain Essentials libraries.
Both 55Hz and 75Hz variations. Sweet.

same here. the Black Back collection is really something !

Could somebody tell me the differences between the G12H, G12L, and G12M as well as the differences between the 55Hz and 75Hz...or at least which is your favorite and why.

Could somebody tell me the differences between the G12H, G12L, and G12M as well as the differences between the 55Hz and 75Hz...or at least which is your favorite and why.
I'd recommend checking the Celestion site. eventhough their current models are not eactly the same as the old BlackBacks, you can still get an idea of the differences. 55hz and 75hz is the bass response. no clear favorite here. it really all depends on taste and what you need/use it for...

I'm really digging the Essentials too...how they're tailored for a certain sound although you could use either in whatever application. I would like to see the Marshall w/ V30s at this point though...with a mid-gain option. That would be my perfect cab for a JCM800. What I noticed from the OH Cab Pack with the Marshall and V30s is that the EN option was not as good to my ears vs. the CH option. However, with the Mesa and Diezel cabs, I like the EN options a lot better. Will be interesting to see if the EN V30s in the Marshall come out sounding better when captured using the Essentials techniques vs. the other method.

In case anyone wanted to know, Ownhammer answered my call for some V30s in the Marshall Cab! They are available in the High Gain Essentials section now!

Mesa, Diezel, Bogner Blue in H/M/L packs and Marshall Studio Mix are all absolutely phenomenal. Not to fond of the recent Marshall Blackbacks I just happen to buy all of. Perhaps they just don't fit in my music style but now I am a bit hesitate to try the Marshall V30.

I would however love to see a Bogner Ubercab 412 with the criss-crossed V30's and G12T75's. Mic each one speaker type as two cab sets in one so we can mix/match it up. Would seem like that would be a must have cab and be a new addition to the cab choices.

Best I can do at 2 a.m. at the end of the work week:

Mesa V30-EN HGE 5881 Studio 04:
http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/Quick-Compare_MES-ST_HGE.wav

Marshall V30-EN HGE 5881 Studio 04:
http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/Quick-Compare_MAR-CB_HGE.wav

Marshall V30-EN Studio Mix T2 Studio Modern:
http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/Quick-Compare_MAR-CB_SML.wav

The Mesa HGE library is in need of an update that the Marshall HGE already has out of the box where there is a second (brighter) R121 capture to be used in the Studio mix files, so, that's one difference. Also, the inherent mix levels of the R121 and SM57 are way different between the Studio Mix and High Gain Essentials (R121 is significantly higher in HGE), not to mention the SM57 used between the two is different, and the libraries were sampled with a different mic preamp. That said, this is as simple a comparison as there is where the mics were placed at the most similar positions, and what I suspect a user is most likely to compare. Double tracked and higher amounts of gain would show the differences even further, but, I'm tired and want to go to bed. :lol Hopefully this helps!

FWIW, black backs may get an update. I stumbled across something for the Marshall cab when doing the V30-EN that I want to go back to those speakers and see if it amounts to any noticeable change. It may not, but if it does I'll re-shoot them. You may just be like me, I friggin hate G12M's, all except for my M-BB-55 I pretty much have absolutely no use for them whatsoever on the whole, and am a HUGE proponent of V30's. Just a personal thing, I guess, I like some G12H's quite a bit. Same goes for 75 Hz cone speakers, have no personal use for many except my pre-Rola Alnico Silver and the Lynchback, but lots of people prefer them to the 55 Hz speakers. All different colors of the rainbow, hopefully everybody finds what lights up their life in the shades they prefer. :)

Bog cab with V30's and T75's will appear eventually, likely in the fall. Wish there were more hours in the day.

Last edited:
You may just be like me, I friggin hate G12M's, all except for my M-BB-55 I pretty much have absolutely no use for them whatsoever on the whole, and am a HUGE proponent of V30's. Just a personal thing, I guess, I like some G12H's quite a bit. Same goes for 75 Hz cone speakers, have no personal use for many except my pre-Rola Alnico Silver and the Lynchback, but lots of people prefer them to the 55 Hz speakers..
looking forward to your Essentials take on the Scumback speakers, as these usually are a great alternative to vintage style Celestions.
in fact, looking forward to quite a few speaker/cab combinations of yours (more Lynchbacks, EVs...) :)

Last edited:
Here's another example of these great IR's. Found the stems for this at UltimateMetal(sorry if it's loud LOL)

I used a combination of the lynchbacks and chinese V30's here. Sounds awesome imo!

Here's another example of these great IR's. Found the stems for this at UltimateMetal(sorry if it's loud LOL)

I used a combination of the lynchbacks and chinese V30's here. Sounds awesome imo!

Wow, sounds very good!

If I may ask, which amp model/overal settings are you using apart from the Ownhammer IR's?

Tone is spot on man!

Wow, sounds very good!

If I may ask, which amp model/overal settings are you using apart from the Ownhammer IR's?

Tone is spot on man!

Thanks man!

I used the FAS Modern II for this. I keep the gain incredibly low on the amp, so all of the gain is coming from a T808 drive behind the amp block.
I keep tone around noon on the drive, and level a bit passed noon(drive is close to 0). I also boost the mids a bit on amp block so it's not so scooped sounding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom