Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

Mmm, people are so strange, In my opinion the FX8 is one of the greatest multieffects ever created...
I agree. I bought the FX8 when it first came out. I play in a Rage Against the Machine tribute band, and I can pull off all the Tom Morello effects with no problem. The best multi-effects unit I've ever owned. With that said, I'm excited about the FM9!

I got the email about this last night. This might be the thing for me.
I have a Axe Fx II XL+ right now and having it all in a floor unit would be great.
I’ve found that while sometimes I have a play about generally I’m pretty boring with my presets. It’s either clean with reverbs and delays or amps with a little distortion box in front. Nothing too fancy.

The price is good too.

I got the email about this last night. This might be the thing for me.
I have a Axe Fx II XL+ right now and having it all in a floor unit would be great.
I’ve found that while sometimes I have a play about generally I’m pretty boring with my presets. It’s either clean with reverbs and delays or amps with a little distortion box in front. Nothing too fancy.

The price is good too.
Cygnus is a game-changer too. Enough of a reason alone to get into this generation (in my opinion).

Cygnus is a game-changer too. Enough of a reason alone to get into this generation (in my opinion).
How much of a leap is this from the axe fx 2xl+
I understand the modelling is even better but that’s way down on my list of things to improve to be honest.

I know the FM9 doest have tone match but I can deal with that, I only use it for uploading presets anyway.

Im guessing the FM9 would be able to cope with pretty much everything an XL+ can? …cause that would be enough.

I don't want / need to have a dedicated expression pedal for each device at home.
So I bit the bullet and ordered a Mission Expressionator.

View attachment 87963
Interesting device. This functionality would be useful with the FM3 when people are traveling as light as possible.

It'd be nice built into the FM3 too, but defining a switch to be dedicated to toggling would be a challenge, probably an external switch would be needed, and then the firmware would need a tweak to remember the values....

It'd be nice built into the FM3 too
It's built into every Fractal product already. You can use a single expression pedal for multiple things already. And toggle between those things with a switch. We used to have competitions to see who could MUX the most things to a single expression pedal back in the II days.

Though, in @yek's case I think he's looking to have one expression pedal work with >1 Fractal product. A different problem. Not solved in a single Fractal device (nor should it be).

does anyone use their own wah pedal w/FM-9 or does it sound weird?
Ben Eller just did a lesson for the solo in Peruvian Skies using a separate wah, and it was fine. He was using the AF3, but I'd imagine the FM9'd be no different.

It's built into every Fractal product already. You can use a single expression pedal for multiple things already. And toggle between those things with a switch. We used to have competitions to see who could MUX the most things to a single expression pedal back in the II days.

Though, in @yek's case I think he's looking to have one expression pedal work with >1 Fractal product. A different problem. Not solved in a single Fractal device (nor should it be).
How do we do it if we want a block to remember its current setting and switch the pedal to control/adjust a different block? Enable/Disable won't do it, and we can't temporarily change the CS assignment to a fixed value can we? Sample and hold could do it but, again, how would we switch to that?

How do we do it if we want a block to remember its current setting and switch the pedal to control/adjust a different block? Enable/Disable won't do it, and we can't temporarily change the CS assignment to a fixed value can we? Sample and hold could do it but, again, how would we switch to that?

You can put pedal-controlled blocks in a vertical row and use the MUX to switch between them. That's just one approach.

You can't do that unfortunately.

You can put pedal-controlled blocks in a vertical row and use the MUX to switch between them. That's just one approach.
That's fine for listening to one row, but that doesn't control whether the blocks in that column are actively listening to the pedal or instead are ignoring it and are being sent the same control voltage/remembering their current setting. They'll continue to track the pedal if it's adjusted.

One of the cool things about the Expressionator is if you switch to control a different pedal, in our case, a block, it'll continue to send the previous controller's setting to that pedal so the pedal doesn't suddenly revert to its default or go full on or full off. That capability is what I don't see we can easily duplicate.

I know how to enable/disable multiple blocks with a switch, I know how to tie multiple blocks to listen to the same controller, what I don't see is how to tell them to maintain their state and stop listening to the controller temporarily.

Last edited:
You can't do that unfortunately.
K. I can accept that. It sounded like the ability was being dangled as knowledge to snatch from someone's hand. :)

And, in my internal version of the show, Kwai Chang Caine should have immediately cut off Master Kan's hand, taken the pebble, and said "See if you can take the pebble back." But I enjoy dark humor.

Last edited:
I'm trying to wrap my head around the FM9 processor allocation.

I think that I read that the Reverb and Delay blocks are dedicated to one of the processors? IF so, does that include all of the Delay type blocks? 'Multitap-Delay', 'Megatap Delay', Ten-tap Delay; 'Plex-Delay'?

If it only includes the 2 Reverb and 2 Delay blocks, that will potentially leave a lot of unused CPU power on the table for many presets.

For example... If an FM3 preset had no 'Reverb' or 'Delay' block and was close to the CPU limit, would it still be close the the CPU limit of the FM9.

I've been getting emails from clients/customers asking for advice on what advantages are possible if upgrading from the FM3 to the FM9.

Last edited:

I was just about to post a similar question. This would be amazing if it could be implemented.

That's fine for listening to one row, but that doesn't control whether the blocks in that column are actively listening to the pedal or instead are ignoring it and are being sent the same control voltage/remembering their current setting. They'll continue to track the pedal if it's adjusted.
Correct. That's not possible.

Back
Top Bottom