Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

You can pan two amps into one CAB block and have them each use a separate and distinct IR.
Tangentially related wish: CabLab updated to use mm instead of ms for IR alignment. The range is great, but the units are just a pain to convert, and ms is not granular enkugh to duplicate the IR settings in the IR block....

Have we hit the 9 is not enough threshold already?? :D

Not exactly, I do think the 9 onboard switches are more than enough. In my case is more like the "onboard expression pedal vs external" dilemma... I prefer having an external unit than can be easily fixed/replaced in case of failure given the "abuse" I will put it through, especially since I'm not on US/CAN and getting my unit in and back for repairs can be a little troublesome.

If the TRS jacks are hardwired to accept only one switch, then bummer, but it is what it is. I can figure out some workaround to my very specifics needs, sure, it's just that the dual-switch inputs introduced on the FM3 were my ideal setting, that's all... :)

Cliff did comment on this a few pages back. You should read his comment but to paraphrase he said that the FM9 has the specially developed analog circuit that the III and FX8 have that make it the better choice for the 4CM.
I did read his comment, and it certainly alludes to the FM9 working well in 4CM, but the FM3 has also been advertised to do so, and there are many (myself included) who had less than stellar experiences attempting to utilize that configuration, with no comment from the Fractal team regarding the noise issues.

I'm guilty of being pedantic on this topic, if you look through many of my previous posts, many of them are regarding the topic of noise issues in 4CM with the FM3. I have no issue admitting that. I'm looking for a clear statement that the FM9 will not experience the same noise floor as the FM3 when used in 4CM. I know that dabbles semantically close to a potential admission that there is an "issue", "design-flaw", "short-coming", or however you want to call it, regarding something in the FM3 that makes it prone to a certain level of noise issues when used in 4CM, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm fine if someone plainly says "it can't do feature "X" as well as other our other products can, at its' price point" (regarding the FM3). I tagged Cliff in a post inside this thread, asking about the 4CM with the FM9, and it went un-answered. I'm not accusing him of choosing not to answer, he's got a lot going on right now, and many other questions to answer regarding the new product. That's why I tagged @iaresee, because he commented on using the FM9 in 4CM.

While the change to only being able to support one switch per jack does seem like a small step backward in a way (and slightly perplexing) I connected two expression pedals and a Mosky Dual Switch to my FM3/FC6 setup and never really set up the switches—I couldn’t really find a need (not saying someone else wouldn’t).

But accepting this setup as a reality for now, can anyone recommend a single switch? Will one side of a Mosky still work? I have an extra I could use for this. Or what about a Strymon mini switch? I have a couple of those laying around.

Not exactly, I do think the 9 onboard switches are more than enough. In my case is more like the "onboard expression pedal vs external" dilemma... I prefer having an external unit than can be easily fixed/replaced in case of failure given the "abuse" I will put it through, especially since I'm not on US/CAN and getting my unit in and back for repairs can be a little troublesome.

If the TRS jacks are hardwired to accept only one switch, then bummer, but it is what it is. I can figure out some workaround to my very specifics needs, sure, it's just that the dual-switch inputs introduced on the FM3 were my ideal setting, that's all... :)
Maybe Fractal could do an FC-EXT breakout box with a half dozen TRS jacks that support pedals or dual footswitches that plugs into the FASLINK port.

I did read his comment, and it certainly alludes to the FM9 working well in 4CM, but the FM3 has also been advertised to do so, and there are many (myself included) who had less than stellar experiences attempting to utilize that configuration, with no comment from the Fractal team regarding the noise issues.
did you use Humbuster cables?

With my Axe-Fx III. I don't own an amp with an effects loop any more. Others did test this configuration without issue.
I guess I missed that when you did 4CM, you tried it with the AxeFx as the amp, and not a real amplifier. My mistake for assuming.

I guess I'll have to wait for other "testers" to chime in regarding 4CM with a real amplifier.

did you use Humbuster cables?
I did everything possible, including using Humbuster cables, to try to lower the noise floor. I tried two separate FM3's to make sure it wasn't the FM3, and I used my amp (Friedman Runt 50) and another of the same amp, to test to make sure it wasn't my amplifier. I can't rule out that it's not an issue with the actual amp model itself, but that would be rather surprising.

Maybe Fractal could do an FC-EXT breakout box with a half dozen TRS jacks that support pedals or dual footswitches that plugs into the FASLINK port.
Now that would be something....

That might be a really cool way to expand the ecosystem, especially if it was able to be designed to work with all the Fractal products.

I did everything possible, including using Humbuster cables, to try to lower the noise floor. I tried two separate FM3's to make sure it wasn't the FM3, and I used my amp (Friedman Runt 50) and another of the same amp, to test to make sure it wasn't my amplifier. I can't rule out that it's not an issue with the actual amp model itself, but that would be rather surprising.
hmm, well not all amps are designed the same, so it could definitely be how that specific amp handles its effects loop. many are using 4CM with other amps with no problem. i think i remember some users of the FX8 saying specific amps didn't work well with the FX8 or any other effects unit with 4CM.

hard to say without trying that amp myself specifically.

I’d actually guess it’s something with the amp. More specifically the way the FX loop is designed. I say this because I’ve run mine in 4CM with a few of my amps and don’t have noise issues (I can’t remember if I had issues with the California Tweed—I feel like I might’ve; I could check again).

Have you provided an audio/video recording of the specific sound you’re getting? I feel like I’ve read a description of it..? Hiss/white noise as opposed to ground hum, was it?

I think this is a great product but I rely so much on my FC-6 display to read my preset numbers and titles because my FM3 display is too small to read standing up, that I probably won't buy the FM9 until the display is easier to read?
Hmm, that seems like a very good point. Guess that'll be one of the first "Wishes."

Back
Top Bottom