• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Not necessarily. The FM3 only has one amp. block and similar processing. Not saying the FM3 isn't a great product, there seems to be some great features the AX8 doesn't have. However, the AX8 is still a great portable unit and it works great as an effects processor in front of an amp. Not to mention, great sounding amp. modelling as well...maybe not Ares great, but still great.

Ax8 will continue to be a great product, no doubt about that, but, if you can get similar power, newer modeling, a huge color screen, much improved controls, USB audio interface etc, for just $999 brand new, I think it will be hard for folks asking $1299 or so for the aX8 on the used market like they previously had gone for when out of stock. Probably going to be quite a few hitting the market too which will saturate things, time will tell though

Moke

Fractal Fanatic
Honestly, one of the most compelling things about the FM3 is the EXISTENCE of the FC-6.

Add the FC-6 and you have 3 on-board + 2 outboard switches/pedals on the FM3, PLUS 6 switches + 4 pedals + 4 switches on the FC-6. That's a total of 13-15 switches and 4-6 pedals for not much more than the AX8 was.

Or, you go cheaper and you get 5 switches for $999. I can't see how this isn't a huge win for FAS.
Yep... The FC-6 just became much more desirable.;)

luke

Fractal Fanatic
Do you need an FC controller to use the FM3 or can the FM3 be used as an all-in-one unit?
It appears to have 3 buttons, you have to ask yourself if you could make that work.

Obviously you can't skip from scene 2 to 8 with three buttons, you'd have to have your presets setup so you only need to scroll up down one at a time I'd think.

chris

Legend!
Do you need an FC controller to use the FM3 or can the FM3 be used as an all-in-one unit?
It does not require anything else to use.

Would this footswitch setup work with the FM3 + FC6?

The 3 switches on FM3 select Presets, Scenes & Effects
The 6 switches on the FC6 selects either Preset 1-6, Scenes 1-6 or Turn On/Off 6 Effects

Matt or Cliff, can you confirm?
That’s how multiple FCs currently work with the Axe3, so I’d say yes.

Toopy14

Fractal Fanatic
I think it will be hard for folks asking $1299 or so for the aX8 on the used market like they previously had gone for when out of stock.
Oh for sure, completely agree with you on that. I've seen some sell on the forum for $900-$950 USD though, which to me was much more reasonable price. I think in Canada, the AX8 will still do well, especially ones already in the country, thanks the to very weak Canadian dollar, import duties and taxes on new gear from the U.S.

Toopy14

Fractal Fanatic
Obviously you can't skip from scene 2 to 8 with three buttons, you'd have to have your presets setup so you only need to scroll up down one at a time I'd think.
That's what I was thinking as well. I guess the 3 buttons on the FM3 will be similar in functionality to the F1, F2 and F3 buttons on the AX8.

JRkelley

Inspired
Biggest question for me is the conversion strategy of Axe-3 presets over to this box. Due to the platform differences I'm guessing it can't be seamless, but I'll bet with a little fore-thought I can build most of my presets with this box in mind. I'm just at the beginning of this process as a new Fractal user, so I am extremely interested in how this is going to work going forward!

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
You can do a lot with 3 switches I bet, due to the tap and hold states, plus per preset assignments

For example, drive, delay and flanger bypass for one preset, drive, rotary and flanger on another, tap turning each block on and off, and then hold button 1, preset up, hold button 2, preset down. Hold button 3, enter layout page letting you access scenes, or other layouts

1 button can give you 3 scenes, tap toggles scene 1/2, hold gives you scene 3

The new FC control packs amazing power and flexibility into each switch

yeky83

Veteran
I always use 1 Mohm anyway, but to cover the bases, does it have fixed or adjustable input impedance?

Full-color 800x480 TFT display?

Dimensions & weight?

AZG

Inspired
The firmware is still beta so nothing is set in stone yet. Between now and they day they start shipping things could change but so far we didn't port the Vocoder, Tone Match, RTA and 10-Tap Delay IIRC.

Due to the lesser processing power there are fewer instances of many effects, i.e. two instead of four. Channel counts are the same.
Can you say what the typical amp and FX chain users should be able to achieve? Will compromises like on the AX8 be needed?

brianv4

Forum Addict
Seems like there's a lot of information being released about the FM3, it may not be too long before we see some begin to ship? I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a great deal on an AX8 too!

parlopower

Inspired
Ok, let me see if I got that right so far...

- Amps, cabs and FX are same quality as Axe III, limits are not in quality but numbers (1 amp block instead of 2, no vocoder etc.) - so pretty much compared to the III this is the same as the AX8 was to the II
- Where the FM3 is not to the III what the AX8 is compared to the II is: FM3 has USB audio interface functionality (again same quality as the III, just less channels 4x4 instead of 8x8)

This second point is the big one for me, as it is the reason why I chose the II over the AX8 back then even though I loved the form factor of the AX8 and had no need for the additional power of the II. I want to use it as an audio interface to record with it straight into my Macbook Pro / Cubase, recording the processed signal and the DI at the same time so I can reamp with the FM3 via USB. If that is possible with the FM3, and it has the main blocks (amp, cab, drive, delay, reverb, chorus) with the same sound quality as the III, then I am totally sold on it!!!!!

mikah912

Inspired
You can do a lot with 3 switches I bet, due to the tap and hold states, plus per preset assignments

For example, drive, delay and flanger bypass for one preset, drive, rotary and flanger on another, tap turning each block on and off, and then hold button 1, preset up, hold button 2, preset down. Hold button 3, enter layout page letting you access scenes, or other layouts

1 button can give you 3 scenes, tap toggles scene 1/2, hold gives you scene 3

The new FC control packs amazing power and flexibility into each switch
So really, you could access all eight scenes without an external controller and maybe have the "hold footswitch" functionality on Button 3 maybe turn on the tuner?

Top Bottom