• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

I was with you joe, till I actually used the FC6,now I almost think 6 was too little and I spent $500 on top of the $2250 for the axe so while I loved the idea of having No need for anything else ever again with the FM3, I soon realized it’s barely possible when you’re exposed to the full grandeur of the axe

I think the FM3 is going to be an amazing lite version of the axe 3, but it’s obviously going to be limited so I hope FM3 crushes Helix and kemper with great success!!

Poparad

Veteran
I'm curious why the main outs are only XLR and not a combi jack. On my Axe II I regularly use humbuster 1/4" cables to hook up to my wedges and I save the XLRs for sound guys to take my signal from. I've found going into my wedge and then using the "thru" XLR on it introduces hum problems for FOH.

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
they have combo jacks for female xlr?
Actually yes. The outputs on the FM3 are Male XLRs.

Just as a note for everyone, the signal flow follows the direction of the pins. A male XLR is always an output. A female XLR is always an input.
On most units where you have combo XLRs, they can be found on the inputs to allow for XLR or 1/4" inputs.

chris

Legend!
Actually yes. The outputs on the FM3 are Male XLRs.

Just as a note for everyone, the signal flow follows the direction of the pins. A male XLR is always an output. A female XLR is always an input.
On most units where you have combo XLRs, they can be found on the inputs to allow for XLR or 1/4" inputs.
i meant male, but by habit for combo jacks, i typed female. i've never seen combo jacks for outputs.

lyricbread

Regular
Will this setup be possible with the FM3?

Current Mode: Scenes
Switch 1 (Tap): Scene 1 > Clean
Switch 1 (Hold): Preset Mode
Switch 2 (Tap): Scene 2 > Dirty
Switch 2 (Hold): Scene 3 > Crunch
Switch 3 (Tap): Scene 4 > Solo
Switch 3 (Hold): Mute/Tuner

Current Mode: Preset Mode
Switch 1 (Tap): Preset Down
Switch 2 (Tap): Preset Up
Switch 3 (Tap): Select Preset

unix-guy

Legend!
Will this setup be possible with the FM3?

Current Mode: Scenes
Switch 1 (Tap): Scene 1 > Clean
Switch 1 (Hold): Preset Mode
Switch 2 (Tap): Scene 2 > Dirty
Switch 2 (Hold): Scene 3 > Crunch
Switch 3 (Tap): Scene 4 > Solo
Switch 3 (Hold): Mute/Tuner

Current Mode: Preset Mode
Switch 1 (Tap): Preset Down
Switch 2 (Tap): Preset Up
Switch 3 (Tap): Select Preset
Seems like it would... But what is "Select Preset"? You mean a specific preset?

lyricbread

Regular
“Select Preset” would load the desired preset after searching using “Preset Up” or “Preset Down,” assuming the “Preset Up” and “Preset Down” works similar to that of the AX8.

Seems like it would... But what is "Select Preset"? You mean a specific preset?

Randalljax

Forum Addict
You could also toggle scenes
Like this

Sw1. Scene 1/2
Hold to go back to preset bank

So your clean/ crunch are on switch 1
And the HOLD reloads the 3 prior prests

unix-guy

Legend!
“Select Preset” would load the desired preset after searching using “Preset Up” or “Preset Down,” assuming the “Preset Up” and “Preset Down” works similar to that of the AX8.
No... Preset Increment(Up)/Decrement(down) change presets when pressed.

Take a look at the FC manual for details.

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
But, when you only have three buttons available, it would be nice to be able to scroll through presets with two buttons and then use another button to load the current 'scrolled to' preset. A hold function to advance ten presets might also be useful

Gasp100

Veteran
I think the above posted video makes a lot of good points. But, the very most important thing for me is how does it sound... I DO like a smaller form factor and at this point the modular approach DOES make sense from FAS point of view. Similar (or exactly the same?) chassis as the FC6? If so that helps economies of scale. I feel like I'm right on the edge of making 3 buttons work... I REALLY would love 4 multi purpose buttons. But, I just may be able to get functionality out of an expression pedal (which I have never used with my AX8).
I really just need to sit down and plan things out and I believe I can make the FM3 work.
But yea, the AX8 is still a kick ass machine!

zionplayer

Inspired
I was really excited with the "Stand In Switch" announcement, thinking the FM3 and a few Stand-In's will be perfect for my need... then realized the FM3 only has 2 pedal jacks, and I always use a volume pedal and another pedal for various effect mods (delay mix, wah, rotary speed, etc)... oh well, FM3 and FC6 still looks like a great solution.

hippietim

Fractal Fanatic
I was really excited with the "Stand In Switch" announcement, thinking the FM3 and a few Stand-In's will be perfect for my need... then realized the FM3 only has 2 pedal jacks, and I always use a volume pedal and another pedal for various effect mods (delay mix, wah, rotary speed, etc)... oh well, FM3 and FC6 still looks like a great solution.
I got one of these to extend the external switch/pedal support. The one with 3 jacks has 5-pin MIDI and can be powered easily with any USB battery.

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

...pretty much sums up my own thoughts with this one.
In the beginning when I started touring I took my biggest pedal board. I won't go into how out band had two drummers, keyboardists etc...After 10 years of touring I realized that the smaller the setup the better for my back, for my performance and for a quick setup / takedown. We were on a major label but only had one roady. When I record a record I go crazy with all my pedals, amps and synths. I would say this also is not an intro like this guy says in the youtube video. It has a different purpose. Also suggesting fans in the pedal board and making this a gigantic pedalboard is ridiculous for recording, touring and is overkill in general. Many people have made amazing music with one amp and a couple of pedals. The great thing is it is modular so you can add as you go and really not be bound by form factor. If you need more amps and models just focus on the song structure and putting out the best music you can. Like he plainly says he likes the knobs but doesn't need them. More effects and amps wont make one a better songwriter or musician. Just my two cents!

Top Bottom