• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
We could potentially do two amp blocks but at reduced quality and I don't want to do that. Part of the problem with other modelers is that they don't oversample enough (and use single-precision in places where you need double-precision).

Then you get complaints of artifacts and ear fatigue and all the other things associated with inadequate sample rate and word length.

The vast majority of users only use one amp block so we wanted to make something with one very high quality "Ares" amp block.

ksandvik

Experienced
Me thinks for many cases you use a clean amp block with some clever eq and effects (let's say a custom amp gain overdrive set to low gain) to provide clarity mixed together with a gain block -- in my usage model that's fine enough. So as long FM3 has dual paths then I'm set.

mikah912

Inspired
We could potentially do two amp blocks but at reduced quality and I don't want to do that. Part of the problem with other modelers is that they don't oversample enough (and use single-precision in places where you need double-precision).

Then you get complaints of artifacts and ear fatigue and all the other things associated with inadequate sample rate and word length.

The vast majority of users only use one amp block so we wanted to make something with one very high quality "Ares" amp block.
Cliff, I asked this over at TGP as well, but can you share which III FX won't be ported over to the FM3? I doubt any of them are dealbreakers for me, but I'd just like to know.

MaxTwang

Experienced
I'mmmm baaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is I posted a Line6 rant on TGP last night but left off "When Fractal releases the AX8 replacement I'll sell off my Helix Floor & Stomp" - less than 12 hours later here's the FM3!!!!

Summary of my rant: I barely escaped a wildfire with my dogs, laptop and 2 guitars. Everything, including guitar collection and a 3 month old Helix (purchased at 15% off) was lost - 6 neighbors didn't make it out. For over a year I made multiple attempts to replace the Helix but was told by multiple dealers "Line6 will not allow us to discount a Helix to price match and replace one lost in a fire" (exact quote, proof of loss was provided). All dealers acknowledged Helix discounts were widespread and widely reported on TGP and other sites at the time, but in my circumstance dealers were adamant "Line6 will not allow a discount". I even tried contacting Line6 management re. a policy which appears in conflict with their customer service reputation - but they did not respond (I wasn't expecting special treatment, just the same discount others were getting and I had received 3 months prior).

Line6 is dogmatic about policies of selective treatment of customers and I regret replacing them.

Thanks Cliff & team!!!!!! We're supposed to break ground on the new house next week and I'm on the wait list for the FM3. It's a great week!

Last edited:

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Cliff, I asked this over at TGP as well, but can you share which III FX won't be ported over to the FM3? I doubt any of them are dealbreakers for me, but I'd just like to know.
The firmware is still beta so nothing is set in stone yet. Between now and they day they start shipping things could change but so far we didn't port the Vocoder, Tone Match, RTA and 10-Tap Delay IIRC.

Due to the lesser processing power there are fewer instances of many effects, i.e. two instead of four. Channel counts are the same.

Cem

Experienced
Please integrate Tonematch if possible. I really really missed it after moving to ax8 from axe fx 2.

The firmware is still beta so nothing is set in stone yet. Between now and they day they start shipping things could change but so far we didn't port the Vocoder, Tone Match, RTA and 10-Tap Delay IIRC.

Due to the lesser processing power there are fewer instances of many effects, i.e. two instead of four. Channel counts are the same.

mikah912

Inspired

Thanks, sir. Yeah.....I need none of those. Happy to be on the list!

Top Bottom