• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

jageya

Inspired
FM3 looks awesome, but, for me, the million dollar question would be:
Does Fractal Audio have any plans to release a variation of this pedal, ever? or this is it?

I know there is the option to expand with FC-6 and 12, but what many would love to know if there will ever be other versions with more buttons without the need to get the FC6... (for me, for example, the FM3+FC6 would be too much and too big. Something in the middle would be perfect...

Just out of curiosity.
I guess why? Fractal wants to sell more fc-6. if they make a fm6 noone would buy the fc6. So for many its a $1600 unit fm3 and fc6. 3 switches is too much tap dancing and remembering for gigs

chris

Legend!
I guess why? Fractal wants to sell more fc-6. if they make a fm6 noone would buy the fc6. So for many its a $1600 unit fm3 and fc6. 3 switches is too much tap dancing and remembering for gigs
The neat thing is, if they ever come out with a bigger one, I’m sure the FCx would work with that too.

I think they’ve created a great line that CAN be swapped or used together. I don’t think they intended forcing buying this or that, honestly.

If you make a modular system, it’s modular. It cant be modular and not modular at the same time.

That said, I bet people would buy a full Axe3 floor model with 12-16 switches for $3000 or more and be ok with opening it up weekly to clean out dirt that flows in. Yet, there would still be things to complain about. So meh, whatever.

MGW

Inspired
The neat thing is, if they ever come out with a bigger one, I’m sure the FCx would work with that too.

I think they’ve created a great line that CAN be swapped or used together. I don’t think they intended forcing buying this or that, honestly.

If you make a modular system, it’s modular. It cant be modular and not modular at the same time.

That said, I bet people would buy a full Axe3 floor model with 12-16 switches for $3000 or more and be ok with opening it up weekly to clean out dirt that flows in. Yet, there would still be things to complain about. So meh, whatever.
User replaceable air filter. Though someone would forget to clean it out an overheat the unit and it would be Cliff's fault.

jageya

Inspired

i guess i would rather hook up the line6 hx Fx to the fm3 at same price as the fc3 but you get way more for the buck.

Last edited:

DaveO

Inspired
i guess i would rather hook up the line6 hx hx to the fm3 at same price as the fc3 but you get way more for the buck.
As a AX8 owner, like to stay away from the 19” rack and the infrastructure that its dependent on, even if it means sacrificing performance/features, floor units have always been more appealing, if it has UI for PC via usb that’s a big score, I don’t like bending over to the floor to tweak stuff, if it has daw to then more awesome… I suspect I’ll be more happy with FM3 than I was when I got my AX8.

Slashbaugh

Anyone else think there might be allot of FM3s on the used market in not too long? Seems like there are many:
1.) Dudes saying they’re on the waitlist, but will use the FM3 as a “backup” or “noodler” with some guys even saying they’ll “buy 2 because why not at $999?”
2.) Dudes complaining about “just 3 buttons” but signing up on the waitlist anyway
Gotta love the mindset of baby boomers and old blues dads.

Last edited:

Stevelow74

Inspired
To me, most are under seeing the usefulness Of the s unit. There are so many ways to use this thing and not just live!!!
Till now Cliff got everything pretty right.
So Can’t wait to hear and see something regarding the amp fest!!!

Ciao ciao

AndyTNBD

Inspired
This looks pretty great. I'm looking at the effect block spec though, and I'm noticing only 1 available delay block, and 1 available reverb block. What's the danger of this changing?

MGW

Inspired
This looks pretty great. I'm looking at the effect block spec though, and I'm noticing only 1 available delay block, and 1 available reverb block. What's the danger of this changing?
Where are you getting the block specs? I didn't think we had specs yet.

guitarno

Inspired
It's my impression that the numbers of individual effects were unknown when this list was put together. There are no instance numbers in that list. I'm sure the instances and a more complete effects list will come out this weekend or "Soon". ;)

lauke-lux

Power User
for those maybe wanting to see a demo of 3 switches in action I just release this video with the Axe Fx 3 and FC-6 minus 3 buttons to see how I could make it work

Anyway, guess I'd go for this FM3 even without one single button ! BTW I like the woody sounds you get, can you explain a bit your EQ use of reverb and delay ?

cnaufel

Experienced
The firmware is still beta so nothing is set in stone yet. Between now and they day they start shipping things could change but so far we didn't port the Vocoder, Tone Match, RTA and 10-Tap Delay IIRC.

Due to the lesser processing power there are fewer instances of many effects, i.e. two instead of four. Channel counts are the same.
@Admin M@ I am really keen to see the Tone match blocks on it and maybe the feature through AXE Edit software. Why not split, functionality done through Axe Edit and unit with the block capability.

Matt_B_77

Power User
@Admin M@ I am really keen to see the Tone match blocks on it and maybe the feature through AXE Edit software. Why not split, functionality done through Axe Edit and unit with the block capability.
If a block doesn't exist in hardware how can it exist in the editor? It wouldn't.

If the hardware/firmware can support a block type then we'd be able to access it through the hardware. Only allowing access to it through software is creating an unnecessary hurdle to using it. Splitting functionality serves no purpose and has no benefits.

As much as I like the a Tonematch block it has no place in something that's designed for performance. It's place is in the studio which is why it's always been in Fractal's rack products.

One can wish for something all they want but it helps to consider the high level design of the product they're dealing with.

boz52

Inspired
Could it be that the FM3 is just an AX8 with a new color screen and 3 buttons but still the same engine under the hood??

fireheart7

Inspired
Could it be that the FM3 is just an AX8 with a new color screen and 3 buttons but still the same engine under the hood??
The biggest question would be that the AX8 processing power could at least in theory, handle Ares... Other than UI differences I guess. But a single amp block is a single amp block.
If that was the case, I bet some would be willing to just pay a fee to update their AX8 to the new software.
Maybe it is just me ...

Top Bottom