• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

l4mpi

New here
Best answers
Seems like you need a lot of pre planning to make this work with 3 switches for a gig. Also you have to remember a lot of how you have set the switches and how you have set up the scenes and channels exactly. How do you deal with this on a gig?
I already wrote a TL;DR post about some switching use cases earlier in this thread so I'll try to keep this one short... no arguments on the "requires pre planning" bit, but if you invest that pre planning and build your presets, scenes and switch layouts accordingly then you could do all sorts of crazy things. For example, the gigging part could be reduced to pressing a single switch a few times for most standard rock songs where the switch automagically changes to the next required function after being pressed. Think 8 switch layouts with 8 different per-preset functions on switch 1, with each per-preset function selecting a different scene and being layout linked to a different layout. I can elaborate on this if you need a concrete example. But I could literally play a 1 hour gig with my band where I only tap switch 1 roughly 50 times, and each tap does something different. No need to remember anything with that kind of setup, except when to step on that switch :)

brianv4

Forum Addict
Best answers
i had an ax8 and had to watch my use of the reverb block, it would often times put me over the cpu limit. Got an H9 for the verbs but defeated the purpose of a portable rig. i certainly hope the FM3 can handle the load.

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
i had an ax8 and had to watch my use of the reverb block, it would often times put me over the cpu limit. Got an H9 for the verbs but defeated the purpose of a portable rig. i certainly hope the FM3 can handle the load.
I managed to fit a pretty packed preset with reverb in economy mode. Whats was on your presets that made the Reverb cause CPU limit?

mikah912

Inspired
Best answers
Well the processing power should be slightly improved since the handling of the UI and housekeeping is offloaded to the ARM chip.

The BIG question - that only Cliff can answer - is whether the Ares platform is more CPU-efficient than the Quantum one that previously ran on the AX8. If it is, we may have enough headroom for higher quality reverbs in a "normal"-sized signal chain.

My guess is that we should be able to run an Amp block with channels, a cab with maybe 2-3 IRs loaded, multidelay and a Cloud or Deep Space reverb on high. Maybe even a PEQ somewhere in there too. Given the Saturation and Input Drive functions on the Amp block, that would probably do it for me.

chris

Legend!
Best answers
Well the processing power should be slightly improved since the handling of the UI and housekeeping is offloaded to the ARM chip.

The BIG question - that only Cliff can answer - is whether the Ares platform is more CPU-efficient than the Quantum one that previously ran on the AX8. If it is, we may have enough headroom for higher quality reverbs in a "normal"-sized signal chain.

My guess is that we should be able to run an Amp block with channels, a cab with maybe 2-3 IRs loaded, multidelay and a Cloud or Deep Space reverb on high. Maybe even a PEQ somewhere in there too. Given the Saturation and Input Drive functions on the Amp block, that would probably do it for me.
High quality reverb is over rated in my opinion. The Normal setting is already very high quality.

mikah912

Inspired
Best answers
High quality reverb is over rated in my opinion. The Normal setting is already very high quality.
Most definitely. And especially for live usage. In the studio, I tend to not "print" reverb with the tracks so I can tweak after the fact anyway.

Tones2

Inspired
Best answers
Does anyone know of a VERY SMALL 2 switch box that will work in the pedal / switch jacks on the back of the FM3? I want 2 extra switches in the smallest, lightest form factor possible. FC6 is way too big and heavy for me.

mikah912

Inspired
Best answers
Does anyone know of a VERY SMALL 2 switch box that will work in the pedal / switch jacks on the back of the FM3? I want 2 extra switches in the smallest, lightest form factor possible. FC6 is way too big and heavy for me.
It's more than a two-switch box, but the Morningstar MC6 is smaller than an HX Stomp, which in turn is considerably smaller than the FM3.

GravityWell

New here
Best answers
The Disaster Area Designs DMC micro is pretty awesome if you aren't afraid of MIDI.

Tones2

Inspired
Best answers
It's more than a two-switch box, but the Morningstar MC6 is smaller than an HX Stomp, which in turn is considerably smaller than the FM3.
Thanks. However, I was looking for a TRS dual switch that works through the pedal / switch inputs in the back of the FM3 that connects with a SINGLE TRS cable and needs no external power, although LED would be nice if run by internal battery. I'm good with just a dual switch external set-up. I assume I need momentary (not latching) switches?

Would THIS work (size: 3.6″ x 1.5″ x 1.25; weight: 0.3lbs)?
https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/multi-use-exp/tt2/

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
Boss FS-6. I use it w/ my AX8, I would imagine it works w/ the FM3.

Top Bottom