• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
for those maybe wanting to see a demo of 3 switches in action I just release this video with the Axe Fx 3 and FC-6 minus 3 buttons to see how I could make it work

Thanks for the video. Is the FC switch layout per preset or can you also set it globally?

Seems like you need a lot of pre planning to make this work with 3 switches for a gig. Also you have to remember a lot of how you have set the switches and how you have set up the scenes and channels exactly. How do you deal with this on a gig?

No problem for studio use of course.

Scented Meat

Veteran
Sorry if I've missed this, but will it support MIDI over USB, so that my laptop DAW can direct preset/scene changes (as in the III)?

Randy Alanis

Regular
for those maybe wanting to see a demo of 3 switches in action I just release this video with the Axe Fx 3 and FC-6 minus 3 buttons to see how I could make it work

If only people would spend 10% of their time watching this video rather than repeating what they keep reading about "ONLY 3 BUTTONS" & the other stuff...yea that would be just great lol

awesome video! even more excited now!

Intheband

Inspired
Is it possible to have a two switch option, like on a strymon on pedal? That would help as a preset bank up/down feature.

Randalljax

Forum Addict
If only people would spend 10% of their time watching this video rather than repeating what they keep reading about "ONLY 3 BUTTONS" & the other stuff...yea that would be just great lol

awesome video! even more excited now!
Its pretty cool
You basically have about 9 options if your a scene guy it works great

6 scenes basically by toggle between 2 on each switch

Then you still have 3 more hold functions you can assign

Also i suspect a combination button press w bring you to the master layout

So really 10 assignments per preset aint that bad

muudrock

Inspired
I've been following this thread since its beginning and I'm really surprised by all the "I like it but I wish it ......"
Maybe the concept is lost on some but I personally am looking forward to this box! I've owned every iteration of the Fractal gear and have never been disappointed. Something tells me that's not going to change.
..off of soap box....

GravityWell

New here
I am relatively new to modeling (save for a brief foray into the VG88 many moons ago). I started on a Helix floor just a little over a year ago. When Line 6 released the HX Stomp, though I was a bit reluctant, I thought it might be a good around the house sort of tool. The limitations really concerned me, 6 blocks and 3 switches seemed like a barely workable set of rules. I understand everyones trepidation on the limitations of the FM3, especially if you are already a flagship Axe user.

Turns out the limitations and the lack of foot switches was a lesson in disguise. I learned more about modeling and how to efficiently setup my sounds with the Stomp than I ever would have without it. So much so, that 98% of what I do can be done with the Stomp, and if I were to be honest, I could probably do it all, I just like the more advanced routing options and DSP headroom on the full Helix in some situations. The HX Stomp is all I have taken out to gigs for the last 6 months.

So I can attest, it is a little hairy. And to be fair, I did add a two button DMC micro midi footswitch to the setup to make some things way easier. I don't think that this would be necessary with the FM3 due to the footswitch implementation. Regardless, I can't wait to get my guitar plugged into the FM3 to push it to its limits!

unix-guy

Legend!
Its pretty cool
You basically have about 9 options if your a scene guy it works great

6 scenes basically by toggle between 2 on each switch

Then you still have 3 more hold functions you can assign

Also i suspect a combination button press w bring you to the master layout

So really 10 assignments per preset aint that bad
More than 9 options... You can also do Toggle with Hold, not just Tap.

Also, remember that you can do Scene Increment (or Decrement) and specify the Upper/Lower limits, so you can easily "scroll" thru multiple scenes... Or channels or presets.

All that being said, it isn't all as "simple" as it sounds. Remember that the Toggle functions always go to their primary target unless you are already there.

So, if you have a button to toggle scenes 1/2 and another to toggle 3/4, it is easy to change between scenes 1 and 2. It's also easy to change between scenes 3 and 4. But it's harder to change between scenes 1 and 4, or 3 and 2... And even more between 2 and 4.

Because if you're on 2 and need to get to 4, you first have to go to 3.

In many cases that can work fine, simple double-tap... But in many cases that will be a problem. Definitely not a seamless change.

mikah912

Inspired
More than 9 options... You can also do Toggle with Hold, not just Tap.

Also, remember that you can do Scene Increment (or Decrement) and specify the Upper/Lower limits, so you can easily "scroll" thru multiple scenes... Or channels or presets.

All that being said, it isn't all as "simple" as it sounds. Remember that the Toggle functions always go to their primary target unless you are already there.

So, if you have a button to toggle scenes 1/2 and another to toggle 3/4, it is easy to change between scenes 1 and 2. It's also easy to change between scenes 3 and 4. But it's harder to change between scenes 1 and 4, or 3 and 2... And even more between 2 and 4.

Because if you're on 2 and need to get to 4, you first have to go to 3.

In many cases that can work fine, simple double-tap... But in many cases that will be a problem. Definitely not a seamless change.
The way around that is to make all three buttons toggle to 4. Only a single tap. Have the Hold functionality on each button bring up a new layout (e.g. Presets, Blocks), then the other buttons get completely different functions as well.

But honestly, I rarely do this much effect switching live whether doing cover band hard rock and classic rock or even effects-laden P&W. On top of that, I play with another guitarist in most situations.

unix-guy

Legend!
The way around that is to make all three buttons toggle to 4. Only a single tap. Have the Hold functionality on each button bring up a new layout (e.g. Presets, Blocks), then the other buttons get completely different functions as well.

But honestly, I rarely do this much effect switching live whether doing cover band hard rock and classic rock or even effects-laden P&W. On top of that, I play with another guitarist in most situations.
That is solution that works for 4 scenes, but my example was only an example.

What if I want 6 scenes with 3 buttons? Your solution doesn't work...

The point is that there is LOTS of flexibility. BUT that comes at a price...

Most of these things are very dependent on individual workflow. What works for you might not work for me and vice-versa.

But I do think many people don't think about how many ways these 3 buttons can be laid out, or they aren't aware...

chme

New here
Last question for today.
For one preset, will it be possible to set the foot switch to act like :

FS1 : Control switch 1 (to change input trim value)
FS2 : Drive block engage/bypass (or another block)
FS3 : Toggle scene 1/scene 2

Thanks

Last edited:

mikah912

Inspired
That is solution that works for 4 scenes, but my example was only an example.

What if I want 6 scenes with 3 buttons? Your solution doesn't work...

The point is that there is LOTS of flexibility. BUT that comes at a price...

Most of these things are very dependent on individual workflow. What works for you might not work for me and vice-versa.

But I do think many people don't think about how many ways these 3 buttons can be laid out, or they aren't aware...
Most certainly it is individual-dependent. And yes, there must be compromises for every unit at various price points. The compromise of the III is that it's a 3U monster that needs a footswitch and a good number of cables (Well, that and the price of all of that). There are definitely compromises that must be made with the FM3....or AX8, for that matter.

I guess my point is that we should get more imaginative and less put-off that X new device isn't "the perfect replacement". Maybe find a way not to "need" six scenes in a single preset live?

yeky83

Veteran
Last question for today.
For one preset, will it be possible to set the foot switch to act like :

FS1 : Control switch 1 (to change input trim value)
FS2 : Drive block engage/bypass (or another block)
FS3 : Toggle scene 1/scene 2

Thanks
Yup.

ElectricPhase

Forum Addict
The solution is to use the right tool for the job. For people who don't already have an AX8, the answer may be to pick up one of the many used AX8s from people who choose to upgrade.

I've already decided to keep my AX8 gig rig, and I'm leaning toward replacing my HX Stomp grab-and-go board with a stand alone FM3 (afflicted with "more money than sense").

codyraptor

Inspired
As far as being a 'recording USB interface'....can it be used in place of other low budget interfaces like scarlet and presonus? I'll only be running vocals through it ...everything else will be from the unit or plugins/midi. Thoughts??

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
As far as being a 'recording USB interface'....can it be used in place of other low budget interfaces like scarlet and presonus? I'll only be running vocals through it ...everything else will be from the unit or plugins/midi. Thoughts??
Get a good preamp for that mic and it should work great

Top Bottom