• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
I haven’t hit the waitlist because I don’t have the funds but this thing looks perfect for me. It’s absolutely an upscale HX Stomp. The price and feature set are on point.

Axe Grinder

Regular
Regarding this logic alone, if they now make a larger version, THAT is two separate units you’ve just said would be more in production costs.
Chris, what I meant was purchasing a (whatever you would call a bigger FM unit a' la AX8) vs. an FM3 + FC6 setup, for example. Even if both setups cost you $1500 (which it wouldn't, the bigger FM would be more) Fractal would make more money moving the bigger FM unit vs. the FM3+FC6. Why? it would only have HALF the packaging / design / logistics / inventory / supply chain costs.

They obviously wouldn't ever produce that unit unless they garnered additional incremental sales and market share over & above any existing units offered... But I guarantee they will when they do. ;)

Last edited:

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
A lot of AX8 owner's (myself included) are trying to evaluate the viability of this new unit as an upgrade for the AX8. The FM3's other virtues aside, it is not a direct successor to the AX8. It is what it is.
I´m still scratching my head why not 4 FS. The rest of what is offering is a no brainier since you are getting almost the full list of what is offered in the Axe FX III + USB audio+ headphones.

ElectricPhase

Forum Addict
I´m still scratching my head why not 4 FS. The rest of what is offering is a no brainier since you are getting almost the full list of what is offered in the Axe FX III + USB audio+ headphones.
Just guessing, but I believe that size and convenience trumped other design considerations. I can live with that, and I may end up buying one as a stand alone device. Most of my playing opportunities are on a small stage with minimal setup time and at best a brief line check. In light of that having to transport and set up two units (FM3/FC6 pairing) doesn't seem very compelling. Even if I get one, I would probably keep gigging with the AX8.

Rekster

Inspired
I haven’t hit the waitlist because I don’t have the funds but this thing looks perfect for me. It’s absolutely an upscale HX Stomp. The price and feature set are on point.
Joining the waitlist isn’t a commitment to purchase. And maybe when it’s available you will have the funds. If it sounds perfect for you I’d join the list just in case. Just some friendly two cents.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Just guessing, but I believe that size and convenience trumped other design considerations. I can live with that, and I may end up buying one as a stand alone device. Most of my playing opportunities are on a small stage with minimal setup time and at best a brief line check. In light of that having to transport and set up two units (FM3/FC6 pairing) doesn't seem very compelling. Even if I get one, I would probably keep gigging with the AX8.
Nice thing about the Fc6 is that it requires basically no setup. Take from bag, plug in XLR cable, turn on FM3, and the FC6 is ready to go. Pure plug and play, no power cord, no midi cables, no setup or modes to change etc, it’s beautifully integrated into the rest of the rig with just the single XLR

ElectricPhase

Forum Addict
Nice thing about the Fc6 is that it requires basically no setup. Take from bag, plug in XLR cable, turn on FM3, and the FC6 is ready to go. Pure plug and play, no power cord, no midi cables, no setup or modes to change etc, it’s beautifully integrated into the rest of the rig with just the single XLR
I understand, and I know how powerful the FC controller is. I have an Axe III with an FC-12 at home.

JRkelley

Inspired
FAS is practically guaranteeing that the FC-6 and 12 pedals will be around for some time. This standardization is a great sign for the Fractal community. I think it would be cool if the whole hardware platform standardized eventually, maybe this is a small step in that direction? Pun intended.

Woody89

New here
just signed in here and hit the waitlist.. It's been kind of my dream to try fractal stuff and very happy to hear that they decided to release kind of "affordable" one compared to other stuff lol.. Actually I was saving for a fender strat and it'll be delayed because of FM3..

JD_

Regular
I owned an Ultra, a II XL+, and now own a III with an FC-6. I've been looking for a gig backup for my III, and luckily, I saw the FM3 announcement before I wasted my money on something that would have a been a sacrifice in tone. I play preset-per-song in my cover band, and use scenes plus two foot controllers. I can easily make the FC6 work for my needs, basically, preset+/-, tuner, and 3 scenes, plus a tap/hold that takes me to another layout where I could control individual blocks.

After reading some of the other posts in this thread, I'm pretty sure I can make 3 switches work too, given the ability to move to different layouts and the tap / tap-hold capabilities. If not, I can simply connect my FC-6, and I think it's great design that I'll be able to use it with the III or the FM3. I'll take the FM3 to the gig and leave it in my trunk, and if I need it, I'll have the same killer tone I have with my full size rig, and for a price that I consider fair. On the days I play in church or to practice, I'll just take the FM3, so it gets me out of lugging my rack for a lot of my trips with gear.

Would I like it to be more powerful? Sure, who wouldn't, but I'll accept it for what it is and use it where it works for me. Thank you @FractalAudio and team for designing this product - well done!

Mark-B

Inspired
MmMmMmmm... think I’m gonna wait for the rubber to hit the road on this one. It’s the headroom I’m a tiny bit concerned with. The only real issue I have with the AX8 is the headroom issue. This seems to have similar processor limitations. I need more info on that before I commit.

But! ...It also has better sound quality and direct recording capabilities. Somebody else said it first, if the headroom is something I could work within, then it would be a cheaper alternative to an AXE III for recording, which would work out for me, since I’m right-now seriously thinking of getting an AXE III Just for recording, so, might be great for that! :0)

...as a stand-alone floor effects processor? ..for me. No. I don’t need a fly rig, I need them options - options equals another footswitch which equals less convenience and a bigger footprint. That being said I might just as well go with the III with a FC12 four two-grand more.. or just keep my AX8 and wait, ..for what could be quite some time since they are rolling together waitlists which kinda indicates no unit more in line with a souped-up 8 is gonna be available anytime soon.

Gonna wait on this one though for more information on its real-world capabilities. ..it’s obviously a great piece of kit for what it is - a top of the line ultra portable fly rig with functional expandability, ...which just might also be useful to two-bit hacks like me, as a first rate tabletop recording rig!! :0)

So, y’know, like, Chop-chop with them reviews, dammit! ;0)

ETOLKIEN

Veteran
for those maybe wanting to see a demo of 3 switches in action I just release this video with the Axe Fx 3 and FC-6 minus 3 buttons to see how I could make it work

Thanks for that, IMHO 3 buttons is not a big deal, if you need more tap dancing you have midi in, faslink and 2 jacks for exp/FS pedals...FM3 rules!

Last edited:
Top Bottom