• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

chris

Legend!
Hi all,

I was doubting about wether to postvsomething or not, because I do not want to get flamed. So let me start by saying that I am a fan and by now nearly sold everything I owned prior to buying my axe fx II. (Triaxis, 2:90, mashall jmp1, tc g-force, etc etc. ) I am in no way saying anything negative about sound or customer service because I am simply more than happy.
With the latest two products I see a few downsides FOR ME. (So I am only giving my humble opinion). The axe 3 ‘s new footcontrollers, Have a larger footprint if you try to get the samy kind of layout as the mfc-101. You need 2 fc-12 controllers. That will also be much more expensive than the mfc-101. I am aware that I can keep using my mfc, but If I want to go in all the way and use the max of my axe III, I of course would like to buy them. Combined with cc controllers it takes up a hell of a lot of floorspace.
Second: the new FM3 seems to require an extra midi pedal to make it useable on stage. That means additional Costs. (I remember replacing my ground control pro with my mfc and being amazed with how much it changed for me. Suddenly my axe was used much more like its potential. I never want anything else than a matching controller anymore)
Lastly: too bad that you need a power cable when you have more than one fc Footcontroller. The maximum ease of use that fractal offered in the axe 2range has done a step back, it seems.
That is all I wanted to say. Just a different point of view. That does not mean I am not very enthousiastic about the axe 3. I think the fm3 is not a complete product. As said, you need to add an extra footcontroller and I think tjat that is overlooked by many ppl at this moment. As I said again, just my humble opinion.
many people view the latest gear solely in terms of number of switches. this isn't the only thing to consider.

jon

Fractal Fanatic
Okay okay enough with the 'more switches' already!!

It's simple, this product fits the bill nicely for a LOT of uses and players, if you want more switches, get a FC, if you want another amp, get another FM3 or a III

This product and the AX8 were meant to fit MOST players needs, and if players need more, they can upgrade.

It's NOT a iii, it's NOT an AX8, get over it

It's something new and different and also revolutionary. FAS spends a LOT of time and energy making the perfect product, and they obviously have thought this out and made this work. For MOST players. If you want more, get a 3.

ElectricPhase

Forum Addict
many people view the latest gear solely in terms of number of switches. this isn't the only thing to consider.
A lot of AX8 owner's (myself included) are trying to evaluate the viability of this new unit as an upgrade for the AX8. The FM3's other virtues aside, it is not a direct successor to the AX8. It is what it is.

Harm

Regular
Hi Chris,

I tried to make clear in my post that I also see the good sides of the new product, bit that I just wanted to ventilate a few worries of my own. So yes I am very aware of the other things to consider. Apparently I was not clear enough about that in my post , my apologies.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
A lot of AX8 owner's (myself included) are trying to evaluate the viability of this new unit as an upgrade for the AX8. The FM3's other virtues aside, it is not a direct successor to the AX8. It is what it is.
I suppose if it was they would of called it the Ax8 mkII or soemthing.....

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all,

I was doubting about wether to postvsomething or not, because I do not want to get flamed. So let me start by saying that I am a fan and by now nearly sold everything I owned prior to buying my axe fx II. (Triaxis, 2:90, mashall jmp1, tc g-force, etc etc. ) I am in no way saying anything negative about sound or customer service because I am simply more than happy.
With the latest two products I see a few downsides FOR ME. (So I am only giving my humble opinion). The axe 3 ‘s new footcontrollers, Have a larger footprint if you try to get the samy kind of layout as the mfc-101. You need 2 fc-12 controllers. That will also be much more expensive than the mfc-101. I am aware that I can keep using my mfc, but If I want to go in all the way and use the max of my axe III, I of course would like to buy them. Combined with cc controllers it takes up a hell of a lot of floorspace.
Second: the new FM3 seems to require an extra midi pedal to make it useable on stage. That means additional Costs. (I remember replacing my ground control pro with my mfc and being amazed with how much it changed for me. Suddenly my axe was used much more like its potential. I never want anything else than a matching controller anymore)
Lastly: too bad that you need a power cable when you have more than one fc Footcontroller. The maximum ease of use that fractal offered in the axe 2range has done a step back, it seems.
That is all I wanted to say. Just a different point of view. That does not mean I am not very enthousiastic about the axe 3. I think the fm3 is not a complete product. As said, you need to add an extra footcontroller and I think tjat that is overlooked by many ppl at this moment. As I said again, just my humble opinion.
I think the 3 button approach could work pretty good for a lot of people - presets with scenes etc.

When I first got the MFC I planned to use every function it and the AxeFX could do together ..... but in real terms I discovered I hardly needed more than the ability to use 5 scenes per preset (or even just 3 usually) and hook up an expression pedal or 2. Big lump of a foot controller and only using a third of it really

Tad pricey maybe .... but who knows, maybe someday FAS will offer bundle discount deal on FC6/12 if bought together with FM3? I would if I was them and selling to me :)

chris

Legend!
Hi Chris,

I tried to make clear in my post that I also see the good sides of the new product, bit that I just wanted to ventilate a few worries of my own. So yes I am very aware of the other things to consider. Apparently I was not clear enough about that in my post , my apologies.
i noticed that. no worries. but it still seems to balance on the number of switches primarily. if 3 switches aren't enough, then that's all there is to it.

let's see what more information provides. it was just announced.

ElectricPhase

Forum Addict
I suppose if it was they would of called it the Ax8 mkII or soemthing.....
Shrug. It doesn't matter what they call it or even what they intend it to be. The only thing that matters is what a potential buyer makes of it and whether they decide it will work for them.

Reactions: jon

Harm

Regular

It's simple, this product fits the bill nicely for a LOT of uses and players, if you want more switches, get a FC, if you want another amp, get another FM3 or a III

This product and the AX8 were meant to fit MOST players needs, and if players need more, they can upgrade.

It's something new and different and also revolutionary. FAS spends a LOT of time and energy making the perfect product, and they obviously have thought this out and made this work. For MOST players. If you want more, get a 3.
Too bad Jon, you completely seem to miss my point. “If you don’t like it, buy something else” was the reaction I was hoping to avoid getting by writing my response so carefully.

Harm

Regular
i noticed that. no worries. but it still seems to balance on the number of switches primarily. if 3 switches aren't enough, then that's all there is to it.

let's see what more information provides. it was just announced.
True. Thanks man!

Axe Grinder

Regular
I understand the desire for more buttons, more control, but the new series of controllers are much smarter than the previous styles, so you don't need as many buttons to do the same job, if they offered us an FM8 or even an FM6, that would be more than enough for me.
Agreed!

jon

Fractal Fanatic
Too bad Jon, you completely seem to miss my point. “If you don’t like it, buy something else” was the reaction I was hoping to avoid getting by writing my response so carefully.
Wasn't directed to you in particular - it's just that there is a 2 day old, 37 page long thread that more than half of is about everyone complaining about the 3 switch thing. It wasn't designed to be an rjm mastermind, it was designed to be a compact unit that SOOOOOOO many people have asked and wished for, myself included. It's self contained yes, but it is expandable if needed.

It's something to take on fly gigs, small gigs, those kinda performances where you might have just a couple songs, or maybe you have to play in and out here and there like musical theratre...there are uses for small studio owners, take it to practice or for a jam, to the weekend family gathering, whatever - it's small and it kicks ass as the little brother of the 3

That's what it does, it is not going to replace the Edge's rig or Dweezils rig. It's not made for that. That is what the 3 is for :)

JoKeR III

Inspired

But don't you get it? They're all wanting an Axe III for $1000.

Rekster

Inspired
This new FM3 unit sounds intriguing! I'm not sure if I need it or not, but I joined the wait list just in case. Considering they are still fulfilling the FC wait list from last summer I will have lots of time to decide. :p

Sarcasm aside.... I do love Fractal Audio products, the innovation and community is fantastic.

ksandvik

Veteran
Just remember Fractal is no Apple *) or Samsung with thousands of engineers and billion dollar budgets. They can't make every possible product combination just in case each one sells. And looking at Line 6 selling strategy with constant hits and misses that's neither a good approach.

*) and even Apple had it's whiteboard exercise by Steve Jobs around 1997 to simplify their computer offerings into four quadrants, home/pro, laptop/desktop.

Reactions: jon

200man

Veteran
It’s funny, I used to gig with 2 tube screamers and an ibanez chorus pedal into a fender twin. So 3 switches would have been perfect. The trouble is there are so many goodies in the box you can’t help wanting more. I’m still not on the fc wait list, I thought it would clear up by now, I was wrong. :) But MY plan was to get an fc anyway so I’m good. My only complaint is I want it NOW! Me and my first world problems. :)

ElectricPhase

Forum Addict
I think the cognitive dissonance over the FM3 came about because it's been linked to the possible discontinuation of the AX8 and because AX8 wait list entries were moved to the FM3.

It took me almost a day to see the FM3 as an upscale competitor to the HX Stomp, but when I did, I instantly started liking it quite a bit more.

jon

Fractal Fanatic
It’s funny, I used to gig with 2 tube screamers and an ibanez chorus pedal into a fender twin. So 3 switches would have been perfect. The trouble is there are so many goodies in the box you can’t help wanting more. I’m still not on the fc wait list, I thought it would clear up by now, I was wrong. :) But MY plan was to get an fc anyway so I’m good. My only complaint is I want it NOW! Me and my first world problems. :)
I actually used to gig with a couple pedals, a couple heads and cabs. I liked the sound but realized VERY quickly that I was NOT George Lynch with roadies and what a PITA it was, and dropped it to one versatile amp, though I could not get all the tones, the audience didn't seem to care.

Tried digital multi FX, they all sucked.

Discovered the Fractal after my studio was flooded and I looked for new solutions, and now there the FM3. Good Lord, what a blessing this would have been instead of hauling around AC-30s, 4x12 cabs and pedal boards I had to tap dance to.

Once we did a charity set of shows for Christmas. We played a jazz set of about 8-15 songs depending on how the audience reacted. There were 12 venues that day.

We were hauling gear around ALL DAY LONG. Up stairs, hills, mud, you name it. We were so tired we all slept for the whole of the next day!!!

If I had just ONE FM3 back then I would have praised the heavens!!!!

Kids these days want 5 amps blocks, 10 cabs, 8 reverb blocks and 12 foot switches for $1000

I'd have gladly paid twice that for much less than the FM3 when I was heavily gigging, just so I would not have to go to work with back pains the next morning.

Top Bottom