• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

chris

Legend!
I joined the wait list yesterday! First time getting on a waitlist for a Fractal product. The FM3 is the type of device I've been waiting for!!

A question I have, but haven't seen a definitive answer (and maybe I just missed it), but will this have the same cab block as the Axe III, so allowing 4 IRs with mixing and panning?
Not sure, but using 4 IRs uses up a good amount of CPU. Probably a good approach to pre-mix something like that in Cab-Lab and just use 1 or 2 IR max. Just a guess.

drievuldig

New here
I got an AX8. It was wonderful! Could do everything I needed and more, the final cure for GAS.
Then the III came out. Amazing! Didn't need it, but really wanted it... Got the III.
FC6/12 announced. Mind blown, and... I'm on the list for FC6.
Now this thing!!!

Will the madness ever stop??

Intheband

Inspired
Thanks 14mpi. I have the FC12. A three switch option does not even come close to the available options on the fc12. I have a switch to bank up, another to bank down, when I select a preset, scenes are automatically presented on the bottom row. It seems using a three switch option will be severely limiting. Thought someone may want to suggest otherwise. I don’t expect it to perform like the FC12, but just basic navigation by itself seems simplistic at best.

brain21

Inspired
Waitlisted! This will be the first FAS product I've bought since I was on the original waitlist for the AxeFX Standard oh so many years ago. I will be selling said AxeFx to get this. So, do we have an approximate shipping timeframe? This summer? Fall? Winter? I just want to know how fast I need to get my Standard out the door.

SO glad it has the synth block! The ToneMatch would be great if it were possible to add it back into the firmwares by shipping? If the CPU permits... Sad it doesn't have dual amps, but I have a very workable solution. Will there still be multiple paths through this thing? IOW could I do something like Input 1 > Amp model > Cab model > Output 1, while simultaneously I have Input 2 > FX Block1 > FX2 > Output 2 and then I run output 2 to an amp or another modeler or something? That would be fantastic if I could do that.

Otherwise I have a simple and ~$300 solution to the single amp channel:
Guitar > Mimiq > FM3 > power amp
...............> AmpliFirebox > Power amp

Just under $100 for a used Mimiq, and just over $200 (I've seen them for around $220 on the low end) for the Amplifirebox.
Then the Amplifirebox (actually in my case the Amplifire3) also serves as a backup rig (and vice-versa) should things go south. And I've always got a Diezel pre-amp + CabDryVR too in a real pinch...

Personally not too concerned w/ the # of foot switches. I still use my old Ground Control for my rig. That way 1 pedalboard controls a whole bunch of stuff, and I only have 1 thing to program and worry about. Honestly, I look at those footswitches and I'm just wondering "is there a way that I can make those blink in patterns or to the music?"

JeffNeiman

New here
What if Fractal made a 3-switch "add on" pedal that could be mounted to the front of the FM 3 to expand it to a 6 switch unit without increasing the lateral footprint?
Maybe this was them acknowledging the cannibalism of the AX8 and differentiating the product (slightly) to allow for some resale value of the AX8?

That way, AX8 owners could sell their unit, expand the Fractal user base with the sale, and purchase another Fractal product from.

I realize this is being VERY optimistic, but hey. Maybe!

Maybe this was them acknowledging the cannibalism of the AX8 and differentiating the product (slightly) to allow for some resale value of the AX8?

That way, AX8 owners could sell their unit, expand the Fractal user base with the sale, and purchase another Fractal product from.

I realize this is being VERY optimistic, but hey. Maybe!
They could have made anything that they wanted, and they made this... why? I'm guessing it was purely a marketing decision to make the main unit as inexpensive as possible. Some will be perfectly fine with only 3 buttons and those who need more can buy an expansion to increase the functionality. Has a Fractal amp/effects modeler ever been this inexpensive before? By offering it at the lowest possible price they will open up the door to new first-time FAS users.

Last edited:

Timo

Regular
FM3 got 2 footswitches/pedals, that's not much.
But the FC6+12 adds pedals :)
Does the FC need an extra power supply?

katsumura78

Inspired
Any way to run a few pedals in the loop? Or is this mainly for 4CM with an amp? Obviously it can be a standalone unit but I have a couple pedals I’d like to use in a FM3 rig.

ethomas1013

Forum Addict
Axe II is still being updated I'm pretty sure:)
No, it is not.

Any way to run a few pedals in the loop? Or is this mainly for 4CM with an amp? Obviously it can be a standalone unit but I have a couple pedals I’d like to use in a FM3 rig.
Of corse you will be able to run pedals in the loop. Pre release notes say it has a 4x12 grid. You’ll be able to place the FX loop anywhere you want in the signal chain just like every other FAS product.

ak301

Inspired
I use my AX8 a my main rig, either on a pedalboard with a midi switcher and expression pedal or by itself.

As a little B rig I use the HX Stomp. Which is a very very use able little pedal for my circs, especially combined with an MC6, but I've never been all that happy with it tone wise.
Some amps are excellent, but it doesn't have the WOW factor of my AX8

I was comparing the two last night and feeling disappointed the Stomp didn't sound as good considering how useful I find it, and now here we are with a Fractal product perfect for what I use the Stomp for.

I hope there's something else in the pipeline, a bigger unit more akin to the AX8 as although I think the module form is really cool, I would like something as a direct AX8 replacement.

Eitherway, the stomp will get sold on when my name comes up on the G66 wait list

Retro Rick

Inspired
I think I make 3 footswitches work for me with 3 layouts, if I understand correctly how layouts work.

Layout 1
FS 1 - Scene 1 (Hold Scene Layout)
FS 2 - Scene 2 (Hold Preset Layout
FS 3 - Scene 3 (Hold Bank/Tuner Layout)

Layout 2
FS 1 - Preset 1 (Hold Scene Layout)
FS 2 - Preset 2 (Hold Preset Layout
FS 3 - Preset 3 (Hold Bank/Tuner Layout)

Layout 3
FS 1 - Bank Up (Hold Scene Layout)
FS 2 - Bank Down (Hold Preset Layout
FS 3 - Tuner 3 (Hold Bank/Tuner Layout)
In each layout you are including a Hold to go to the same layout, you could switch those for something else, like a looper, JS

Timo

Regular
If FA marketing want to sell more units maybe they should sell them in more than one shop in europe? You have to be crazy to buy a unit this expensive and not be able to try it. I'm crazy .. o_O

Top Bottom