• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

jon

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
No, ii is end of life and will get no more firmware.

As far as the AX8 goes, only FAS has the answer.

I'm guessing the answer is in no small part the FM3 :D

Colorado Axeman

Inspired
Best answers
Not quite. Cliff said:
JarBarf's chart makes me wonder how the Axe-FX II running Ares firmware will stack up against the FM3. If the chart is reasonably close, the II is winning by a wide margin in terms of processing power. The II has tone-matching it's doubtful the FM3 will. I know that the FM3 wasn't meant to compete with the rack units, but it's still a valid question since a lot of us have a II right now and are considering whether to switch to the new product or keep using what we've got.

Last edited:

Gonwild

Inspired
Best answers
since those on the waitlist for the AX8 are being moved to the FM3, my guess is that the AX8 is going to be declared discontinued soon.

thegrizman

Inspired
Best answers
The whole "end of life" term just induces panic IMHO. The boxes aren't going to explode at midnight. Lots of bands still touring on them. Some other products ship and never get updates, nobody cares.
Yes if AX8 is left as it is it will still be a great device!

Makes me think of the quote:

"Yesterday I never knew it existed, but today I can't live without it!"

milan67

Inspired
Best answers
Would this footswitch setup work with the FM3 + FC6?

The 3 switches on FM3 select Presets, Scenes & Effects
The 6 switches on the FC6 selects either Preset 1-6, Scenes 1-6 or Turn On/Off 6 Effects

Hope it works cause it made me enter the waitlist hoping it would!

/Mats
Do we approximately know the European price?
G66 - 1.200/1.300 € incl.VAT and 3 Years warannty

mikah912

Inspired
Best answers
JarBarf's chart makes me wonder how the Axe-FX II running Ares firmware will stack up against the FM3. If the chart is reasonably close, the II is winning by a wide margin in terms of processing power. The II has tone-matching it's doubtful the FM3 will. I know that the FM3 wasn't meant to compete with the rack units, but it's still a valid question since a lot of us have a II right now and are considering whether to switch to the new product or keep using what we've got.
Cliff already confirmed no tone matching in this thread.

BMH

Inspired
Best answers
Wow, after being Fractal-less for 4 years, it will be good to dive in again. Cannot wait ... although I guess there will be a substantial wait for my spot to come up on the list.

Pedro_Almeida

New here
Best answers
In terms of IO Options this is a slam dunk on my opinion, as far as what I think most users are concerned to use live. The 3foot switches are ok, and looks cool next to any of the FCs. In terms of what I usually use the thing i'm waiting to see is:

- What kind of effects we can get to with one patch since the processing power is similar to the AX8 but with ARES (I would think the amps are more dsp hungry and giving less space to other fx)

- Is the overal amp simulation the same, as well as the signal to noise ratio, from AXEFX3?

- Will the Scene/Channels transitions similar to ax8 or to ax3?

This wont be doable but it would be fun if in future platforms we could just add DSP power with external boxes like Universal Audio does with the UAD Satellite. Probably not doable or having a good cost benifit.

As far as some people here or others foruns being mad about something reminds me of the Ricky Gervais bit about people not wanting guitar lessons (Search for "Ricky Gervais on how Twitter users act" on youtube haha)

Intheband

Inspired
Best answers
How will you bank up/down between presets or scenes, go between presets, then scenes and back to presets, (general navigation) with only three buttons? Pressing two switches at a time? Say I select scenes on the left button( yes I know you set any button to how you want it) but in the example given, if I select scenes, I get three scenes to choose from? how would I then go back to select a preset? How would I bank up to the preset I want from scenes?
Any general nav info would be cool, thanks

AZG

Inspired
Best answers
At this point I’m most interested in knowing what is a realistic signal chain given the limited DSP resources.

mikah912

Inspired
Best answers
At this point I’m most interested in knowing what is a realistic signal chain given the limited DSP resources.
I betcha that will be answered handily by this weekend's festivities. Probably by Saturday night EST.

Ari R

New here
Best answers
EXACTLY. Everybody with an AX8 knows the struggle of hitting a DSP limit. I also own a Helix and Kemper, Helix has PLENTY options but the amps aren't as great.. The Kemper sounds fantastic and feels amazing but doesn't have the flexibility. AX8 cpu limits combined with the interface always pushed me back to the Kemper or Helix. The interface and form factor look fantastic this time around, but still curious about how much a single preset can handle

l4mpi

New here
Best answers
How will you bank up/down between presets or scenes, go between presets, then scenes and back to presets, (general navigation) with only three buttons? Pressing two switches at a time? Say I select scenes on the left button( yes I know you set any button to how you want it) but in the example given, if I select scenes, I get three scenes to choose from? how would I then go back to select a preset? How would I bank up to the preset I want from scenes?
Any general nav info would be cool, thanks
The three buttons will offer the same functionality as the buttons on a FC6/FC12, thus you can read the the FC documentation and watch videos about them to get an idea of what's possible with the FM3. For example, take a look at this one as a starter - the default layouts described here are of course specific to the FCs, but the concepts should be identical:
The ability to have different layouts and automatically change between them should mean you can get quite a lot done with three buttons. I covered a possible scene-based usage scenario (6 scenes accessible with two taps, using button 1 / 2 hold for preset up/down, further functionality on button 3) in an earlier post in this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/announcing-the-fm3-amp-modeler-fx-processor.149900/page-13#post-1779570

JoKeR III

Inspired
Best answers
A lot of speculation about a product no has had their hands on yet. Maybe, at the very least, wait for the Beta testers to be allowed to share their experience before forming an opinion? Just a thought.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Best answers
A lot of speculation about a product no has had their hands on yet. Maybe, at the very least, wait for the Beta testers to be allowed to share their experience before forming an opinion? Just a thought.

Certainly a lot of unknowns still, but also some known things, such as if you own a III you know exactly how the UI works since it’s the same, and if you own a FC you know how the switches work. If you’ve owned a Ax8 you also have a good idea about the resource limitations to some degree.

Your point is fair, but at the same time, having owned all 3, I think I can form a decent idea of what the FM3 would be like without using one

willowdale

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
since those on the waitlist for the AX8 are being moved to the FM3, my guess is that the AX8 is going to be declared discontinued soon.
The AX8 is over but the shouting....the moving AX8 waitlist peeps to the MF3 waitlist is all the proof you need:cool:
The AX8 doesn't fit into Fractal's new design/UI/workflow approach going forward.

It still sounds great & is a great gigging unit....

manatarms

New here
Best answers
I joined the wait list yesterday! First time getting on a waitlist for a Fractal product. The FM3 is the type of device I've been waiting for!!

A question I have, but haven't seen a definitive answer (and maybe I just missed it), but will this have the same cab block as the Axe III, so allowing 4 IRs with mixing and panning?

Top Bottom