• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

Jvstrat

Experienced
@FractalAudio do you think the FM3 can handle all future amp modeling epiphanies with enough power under the hood? Just wondering if you may ever hit a wall where you can only further the modeling on the 3 and not this? Thanks

It seems from the specs that the FM3 should be based on one of these 2 DSPs from analog devices:
View attachment 54295

Anyone knows how to compare them to the ADSP-21469 of the AX8? (no mflops stated in their specs, clock frequency is just slightly higher)
Do you think that's chipset? The ARM Cortex A5 was released 8 years ago. I can't believe that FAS would develop on a platform that old.

parlopower

Inspired
The USB outputs (IN Endpoints) are Output 1 L/R, Instrument In and Input 2 Left.
Awesome. So reamping will be possible, very cool.
Now if it has all the blocks like the AX8 and maybe the Plex Delay additionally, then it has all I could ever want and is perfect for me!

mikah912

Inspired
@FractalAudio do you think the FM3 can handle all future amp modeling epiphanies with enough power under the hood? Just wondering if you may ever hit a wall where you can only further the modeling on the 3 and not this? Thanks
When Cliff answered about not compromising on the amp model fidelity to allow two amps, I gathered that he was building the FM3 to stay aligned - ampwise - with the Axe-FX III for the duration.

I think the divergence will be mostly with DSP-intensive effects, some of which he's already conceded will not make it over to the FM3.

codyraptor

Inspired
Very excited about this..on the waiting list. Long time AXE II and AX8 user. Quick question about using this as a recording interface. Will this work just as well for vocals? Not doing any major production stuff...just songwriting/demo work. I would be interested if it would do just as well as the lower budget scarlet or presonus interfaces? Thanks!!!

Oh..also..forgive me if I missed it..but there's no ETA/average wait time for release yet right? Trying to gauge when to put my Ax8 on the market.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The FM3 is not as powerful as an Axe-Fx III. The Axe-Fx III has at least four times the processing power. You can infer what you want from that.

Paulg2uk

Experienced
Information he already has and he was looking for other information (as I wrote, more specific). But that's fine
That wasn't mentioned in his original post. Anyway enough of that. I agree I don't think that they would be attached together that way. If you are going to be putting both units on a pedalboard then most of us will more than likely just velcro them on wouldn't we?

Randalljax

Fractal Fanatic
If we can't even get an FC12, I'm afraid we are in for a loooooong wait to see this thing.
I honestly think they are going to start to move fast on the FC now
This was a big part of the delay IMO
To get functionality across platforms
And parts delays of course

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
The most impressive improvement with the Axe 3 was the increased signal to noise and the sound quality of the amps and effects have an extra bit of sheen to them that was not present on previous units.

Any comments on how the FM3 sound quality compares to the 3?

l4mpi

The ARM Cortex A5 was released 8 years ago. I can't believe that FAS would develop on a platform that old.
The A5 should be more than sufficient for this device. Keep in mind that all the audio processing is offloaded to the DSPs, so the ARM core probably doesn't have much more to do than drawing the GUI and handling I/O (usb, midi, faslink etc). Also, there's not exactly a huge selection of powerful DSP SOCs to choose from, so Fractal is limited by what's available from the SOC vendors - and this seems to be the most powerful SOC that analog devices currently offers (disregarding the 589 model which as far as I can tell only adds PCIe). Given their track record, I have faith that they chose the best chip that's readily available and fits into the power and BOM budgets.

luthier42

Use it with the FC-6, it's about the same size as the AX8 with 9 scribble strip switches. If you really want 4 switches, hook up a footswitch for maybe $15. It can't please everyone, but the modular approach quite nicely addresses some of your concerns.
I have the Axe Fx III and I'm pretty happy with it so I think I'll pass. I had the II XL a few years back and replaced it with the AX8 when it came out because I was looking for easier transport. I hate lugging a bunch of stuff around and wanted the quickest and easiest setup and teardown available. Sadly there was a lot I missed from the XL. A lot of that seems to have been addressed in this, but it's not for me.

I know this is a flexible floor solution, but I also know that a lot of people were unhappy that the AX8 didn't have a headphone jack and said so. Perhaps the next floor product will tick more of the boxes for me or maybe there will be more than one size available.

jon

Fractal Fanatic
The most impressive improvement with the Axe 3 was the increased signal to noise and the sound quality of the amps and effects have an extra bit of sheen to them that was not present on previous units.

Any comments on how the FM3 sound quality compares to the 3?
It's supposed to be the same.

+11111 on the noise floor, it's one of the biggest things I noticed and love about the 3!
Or is that one of the things I did NOT notice?;)

Mattyblue

Do you think that's chipset? The ARM Cortex A5 was released 8 years ago. I can't believe that FAS would develop on a platform that old.
Just because something is older doesn't mean it is still not useful. If anything it helps keep cost down by not using the latest and greatest. The MSP430 was released almost 20 years ago and it is still a very useful piece of tech. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom