Announcing the Axe-Fx II XL Plus

The firmware is only 2mb right?

I wonder if you could combine both into 1 firmware file that could be used by any XL version. The axe fx could pick the correct one to load internally as part of the update process. You would probably have to change the code that loads the file of course.

A 4mb file is still pretty small.

How would you have handled it? The new LCD requires different firmware. There is already a check to prevent loading the wrong firmware. So how does the user know which firmware file to download and install? If it still says "XL" the phones are ringing all day with people saying they can't get the firmware to install.

I would release a package that contains all the firmware for all models (ala ATI/NVIDIA drivers). FractalBot should autodetect the model number and select the right firmware from the package; those who want the raw sysex files should be given a separate link (with if you know what you are doing disclaimers).

Also no runtime detection possible in the platform for the new LCD controller? No EEPROM Ids? The downside would be firmware size if both LCD controller drivers were included.

Edit: MicroMort beat me to it.

I can appreciate that there could be different and automatic ways of handling the firmware updates in regards to the different hardware,

but really? picking the correct file with Fractal Bot Browse is not easy? In the grand scheme of all things Fractal, I thought the Bot was where they got it right.

You understood this correctly. This is true. I'm torn, because I love the product, the support, and the company. But it doesn't mean I have to love every little decision they make and what better place to display your opinion than a forum. Imagine that.

A big YAWN at every thing else, but maybe the exact forum posting where Cliff explains why it's just a minor revision isn't the place to imply he's hoping XL owners buy it without noticing its a minor revision.

Last edited:
I wonder why the new unit wasn't named something like:

Axe Fx II XL Rev B

It doesn't imply any marked performance improvements over the XL that way....names like that suit mechanical changes better I think.

Are the Axe FX II Mark II and the Axe FX II XL officially discontinued?

It was my understanding that the Mark II and the XL were all the same except for extra memory and I/O options. Were they using a different display chip for the Mark II vs. the XL? How come they're still producing the Mk.II and not the XL? Does the current Mk.II uses the new chip like the XL+?

I was considering, maybe, probably, later on... getting a "back up" XL!??! One for the studio, one for the road... But now there's incompatibility issues between XL and XL+!!!

Is the Mk.II is being manufactured with the new or old display chip? If with the old, why not offer the XL instead and discontinue the Mk.II?

I know, so many questions!

Just checked tracking, mine arrives Monday and I can't freaking wait! I do have the flickering screen issue with one of my other Axe's - "LCD other than the ribbon cable not being properly seated (which you can repair on your own in a couple of minutes)."
Where can I find the instructions on the Quick LCD Fix?
Thanks!

It was my understanding that the Mark II and the XL were all the same except for extra memory and I/O options. Were they using a different display chip for the Mark II vs. the XL? How come they're still producing the Mk.II and not the XL? Does the current Mk.II uses the new chip like the XL+?

I was considering, maybe, probably, later on... getting a "back up" XL!??! One for the studio, one for the road... But now there's incompatibility issues between XL and XL+!!!

Is the Mk.II is being manufactured with the new or old display chip? If with the old, why not offer the XL instead and discontinue the Mk.II?

I know, so many questions!

From Cliff's announcement, the only "incompatability" is the screens will be a little different. If you make sure your firmware stays on the same versions, you shouldn't have any problems with the sounds or interface changes, which is all something you'd have to do anyways. I doubt Cliff is actively programming two or more code bases... he likely has build options to integrate a certain hardware libraries when building different versions of Mark I/II, XL, XL+.

When products get designated End of Life by component manufacturers, that doesn't always mean there are suddenly no more, or even that they've stopped producing them. It typically means that if you have relatively new products or products in development, that you need to find an alternative. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to continue producing EOL components for some time as they wind down manufacturing on it. There's usually a phase-out time frame.

In relation to the Axe, it could mean, that there are enough out there to last the planned life-cycle of Axe-FX II mark II (which could be many months or years), but not enough to last the planned product life-cycle of the XL (which could be longer due to hypothetical new products either downgrading the XL+ or taking the same space of the mark II). Alternatively, it could mean there are enough mark II's stocked and built for the time being that it doesn't need a change right now, and we might see a Mark II+ in the coming months, but is not necessary as of right now.

From Cliff's announcement, the only "incompatability" is the screens will be a little different. If you make sure your firmware stays on the same versions, you shouldn't have any problems with the sounds or interface changes, which is all something you'd have to do anyways. I doubt Cliff is actively programming two or more code bases... he likely has build options to integrate a certain hardware libraries when building different versions of Mark I/II, XL, XL+.

When products get designated End of Life by component manufacturers, that doesn't always mean there are suddenly no more, or even that they've stopped producing them. It typically means that if you have relatively new products or products in development, that you need to find an alternative. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to continue producing EOL components for some time as they wind down manufacturing on it. There's usually a phase-out time frame.

In relation to the Axe, it could mean, that there are enough out there to last the planned life-cycle of Axe-FX II mark II (which could be many months or years), but not enough to last the planned product life-cycle of the XL (which could be longer due to hypothetical new products either downgrading the XL+ or taking the same space of the mark II). Alternatively, it could mean there are enough mark II's stocked and built for the time being that it doesn't need a change right now, and we might see a Mark II+ in the coming months, but is not necessary as of right now.
Dude! Thanks for the response, that last paragraph makes sense to me.

Welcome to the forum!

Dude! Thanks for the response, that last paragraph makes sense to me.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for a while, but thought I'd chime in as I have a little experience with manufacturing and sourcing components and the like.

The key to remember is product discontinuations for manufacturers are very different than those for consumers. Manufacturers need to know when they design a product that they'll be able to keep that design for several years+, and if there's a change to supply, they could need months or more to adapt to it. For a consumer it usually just means they can't buy it anymore.

I'll caveat my post by saying, I obviously have no idea how Fractal manages product life-cycle and have no idea what their plans are for the Mark II... but those would be my best guess options.

Back
Top Bottom