Announcing the Axe-Fx II XL Plus

Potentially, it is confusing, (snip)The new display requires new firmware. No way around it. So the firmware for the "+" has to be different. Different firmware/different model is a logical choice. Given the decision to go with a different model designation, along with the fact that there is some improvement to the display, they can be forgiven for choosing to call it "plus."

Note that it cost fractal money to make this change. The fact that they aren't passing along this added cost to the end customer says more about them than their choice of product name.

Ok, I confused you when I added in the industry standard Rev. explanation so forget I even said that.

The heart of my argument is that Plus implies "more" or "in addition to". So what more are we getting? An additional display? No, the old display was removed from the build so why not call it "minus"?

See, what we are getting is marketing bait that will lure in the guitar community and generate or spark interest and question. FA needs to do this to thrive. I'm not criticizing that they did it, but I think its important that consumers aren't treated like dummies and equally important that they don't have to always drink the cool-aid that companies put in front of them. i.e. an explanation around a model change.
I know I'll have Rev 2.
I know I'll have to update using Rev 2 firmware.
I've been made aware.
No need to put a neon sign on the front that screams "plus". (sorry for the exaggeration :lol)
You build your firmware with checks in place to avoid accidental application.
For example, I have a 1st gen Axe-Fx II and I once tried to apply XL firmware to it. This was because I hastily downloaded the firmware without carefully looking at the file name and had nothing to do with me reviewing the label on the front bezel before upgrading.

I think that this forum is a very intelligent community and I enjoy reading everyone's comments.

Ok, I confused you when I added in the industry standard Rev. explanation so forget I even said that.
Okay, I confused you when I juxtaposed all the factors at play here, so we'll take 'em one at a time.

The heart of my argument is that Plus implies "more" or "in addition to". So what more are we getting? An additional display? No, the old display was removed from the build so why not call it "minus"?
The "plus" is that you get a brighter, sharper display. It's a small plus, but it's still a plus.

See, what we are getting is marketing bait that will lure in the guitar community and generate or spark interest and question. FA needs to do this to thrive. I'm not criticizing that they did it, but I think its important that consumers aren't treated like dummies and equally important that they don't have to always drink the cool-aid that companies put in front of them. i.e. an explanation around a model change.
Who's treating the consumer like a bigger dummy: the guy who gives his product a prettier name, or the guy who says that the consumer has to be protected from the bait and Kool-Aid of the prettier name when the differences between the two models are spelled out precisely?

I'm not criticizing that they did it...
You pretty much are.

No need to put a neon sign on the front that screams "plus". (sorry for the exaggeration :lol)
Straw man.

I have a 1st gen Axe-Fx II and I once tried to apply XL firmware to it. This was because I hastily downloaded the firmware without carefully looking at the file name and had nothing to do with me reviewing the label on the front bezel before upgrading.
If you go from a model change to a revision number, hasty mistakes like that become a whole lot easier and more frequent. It's got nothing to do with checking the bezel before a download.

I think that this forum is a very intelligent community and I enjoy reading everyone's comments.
Hear, hear!

Haha, Rex said it better than I could have. A to the T, your commentary is chock full of back handed compliments and contradictory statements... It's the type of stuff that's usually easily dismissed except for the implied disgusting motivations you can't seem to figure out if you winkingly approve of or are crusading against. The hypothetical marketing swept idiot you are arguing on behalf of has the choice between an AxeFX II or an AxeFX IIXL+. Period. Users of the soon to be legacy XL will be glad they don't have to be counting screws, checking serial numbers, or navigating system menus to figure out their revision for the firmware they need. Cliff will be happy his technical support team won't be bogged down with this either

I guess someone could become suddenly nonplussed by their "XL" edition (sorry, I had to =D) because there is a new version with a +, so hopefully Cliff will make some kind of public statement explaining the differences. oh. wait.

Last edited:
He said in the OP, that it's an ITO display with superior brightness and contrast.....doesn't sound the same. That's why I (and others) have asked.

that was stated in the middle of a list of facetious points with a "marketing hat" and "song-and-dance." all other points were fake or said jokingly. perhaps the ITO LCD refers to both the XL+ and the XL, which may be the joke for that point.

Or I can put my marketing hat on and do the old song-and-dance:
Step right up and get your new Axe-Fx II XL+. The XL+ is a major improvement to the Axe-Fx II with the following features:
- All new algorithms based on our new patented modeling technology
- Super duper hardware design with better intermodulation distortion and lower interphase coupling
- Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) LCD with superior brightness and contrast
- Custom black-and-white "+" sign after the letters "XL"
- Rich alcantara headliner with diamond-stitch seating surfaces
- Gluten and GMO free

Can we send in our XL units to be upgraded to the XL+?

what would the upgrade part be? gluten free?

I just bought an XL and I wouldn't mind sending it back to have all that gluten and GMO removed.

Haven't doctors and food manufacturers come out and say the whole Gluten thing was not a real epidemic? Sure some people are actually allergic, but it does not actually warrant a gluten-free movement...?

The sales price in Europe is not the same, the XL+ is 200.-€ more expensive than the XL. I wonder why.

The sales price in Europe is not the same, the XL+ is 200.-€ more expensive than the XL. I wonder why.

purchase price for products on stock vs. actual order price including shippig, importing tax, VAT ?!

1€ are actual ...
public.php

purchase price for products on stock vs. actual order price including shippig, importing tax, VAT ?!

The question was why XL+ costs more than XL if you buy from G66, if FAS said XL and XL+ will be sold for the same price. But you are posting EUR:USD rate.

Last edited:
The question was why XL+ costs more than XL if you buy from G66, if FAS said XL and XL+ will be sold for the same price. But you are posting EUR:USD rate.

The assumption is: The XL is on stock at G66, so purchsed in the past from FAS at another EUR:USD rate as the purchase EUR:USD rate will be for XL+ (which is logical wise NOT at stock at moment) orders from FAS, no?! That`s my point... FAS has no different exchange rates over time...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
So, have we had a picture of the +. I mean the new screen and what it looks like?
I tried to find one but couldn't - Just curious really. I am quite happy with my XL the way it is.

Cliff,
So... with the AXE-FX II XL +,... will the new (ITO) LCD eventually have programing to make it touch screen capable?

Last edited:
Cliff,
So... with the AXE-FX II XL +,... will the new (ITO) LCD eventually have programing to make it touch screen capable?

Holy Cow that was random. Nothing remotely close to that has been implied or mentioned by Cliff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom