Announcing FM9 Turbo

Something is not clear though. The SC-587 the original FM9 uses has 500 MHz DSP cores and a 450 MHz ARM core, the only slightly more powerful Sharc+ chip I can see on Analog Devices site is the SC-589 which has a 500 MHz ARM core but still the same 500 MHz DSP cores.

Afaik the ARM core is not used for audio processing in the FM3/9 so using that chip shouldn't produce a 10% performance boost. Maybe it's a chip from an entirely different manufacturer?
Or maybe just one of the new 1 GHz dual core chips? Even though these seems to not be available anywhere yet and I would expect a more significant performance increase from these.
You are spot on DLC86. I am getting a lot of expected heat yet no facts to back up opposing views.

Something is not clear though. The SC-587 the original FM9 uses has 500 MHz DSP cores and a 450 MHz ARM core, the only slightly more powerful Sharc+ chip I can see on Analog Devices site is the SC-589 which has a 500 MHz ARM core but still the same 500 MHz DSP cores.

Afaik the ARM core is not used for audio processing in the FM3/9 so using that chip shouldn't produce a 10% performance boost. Maybe it's a chip from an entirely different manufacturer?
Or maybe just one of the new 1 GHz dual core chips? Even though these seems to not be available anywhere yet and I would expect a more significant performance increase from these.
No, the '58x ARM and DSP cores run at the same speed. The original FM9 used the 450MHz version as that was all that was available at the time.

The Turbo uses the 500MHz version.

+1 - Must be the name that throws people onto thinking overclocked. Wouldn't seem to work anyway since as I understand it, overclocked chip speeds are not maintained long due to heat.
You still have not convinced me otherwise. They did not casually say Turbo. They said IDENTICAL. If there were a new 500MHz chip, it should state that. It does not.

You are spot on DLC86. I am getting a lot of expected heat yet no facts to back up opposing views.
After further investigation (thanks to @yek ) it seems the sc587 chip has two different revisions, one is 450MHz and one is 500 MHz, so I assume the original FM9 used the former and the turbo uses the latter.
You can check on mouser to see for yourself

No, the '58x ARM and DSP cores run at the same speed. The original FM9 used the 450MHz version as that was all that was available at the time.

Yup, I found out afterwards (see my previous post), analog devices site is not very clear in that regard

You still have not convinced me otherwise. They did not casually say Turbo. They said IDENTICAL. If there were a new 500MHz chip, it should state that. It does not.
Read the post above yours. From the Fractal horse's mouth:

Moreover, it would make no sense whatsoever to overclock. Fractal is changing the specs to get around the semiconductor shortage. That can't be accomplished by overclocking.

Read the post above yours. From the Fractal horse's mouth:

Moreover, it would make no sense whatsoever to overclock. Fractal is changing the specs to get around the semiconductor shortage. That can't be accomplished by overclocking.
Yes- this is what I was hoping to hear. Great news!

It is not clear to me. Please let me know where you read that they are different. I hope it is true.
It was not clearly stated but with a bit of logical reasoning it could have been safely assumed since the reason of the turbo version was sourcing a different component, and since it's been said older fm9s are not upgradable (an overclock can be made with just a firmware update, doesn't require new components)

Thank you for sharing. This is GREAT news. The words Turbo and Identical had me thinking it might have been overclocked. Glad you cleared up the ambiguity.

It was not clearly stated but with a bit of logical reasoning it could have been safely assumed since the reason of the turbo version was sourcing a different component, and since it's been said older fm9s are not upgradable (an overclock can be made with just a firmware update, doesn't require new components)
This has been cleared up by Fractal directly. It's great news!

Back
Top Bottom