Announcing Cab-Lab!

I'm sensing a combined release of CabLab with v12 and the new UltraRes speaker IR technology.

How's that coming?

Can we see another picture of Adam's Dog? Does he have a Fractal Doggie Sweater yet?

for my little brain... the UltraRes is a kind of "not truncate" full-long IR technology...
So... all the IRs collections we have... will really sound better with that technology?
what kind of improving of the sound can we ear? something like much longer "tail" in the cab resonance? a more "real life"/in the room feel? what?

for my little brain... the UltraRes is a kind of "not truncate" full-long IR technology...
So... all the IRs collections we have... will really sound better with that technology?
what kind of improving of the sound can we ear? something like much longer "tail" in the cab resonance? a more "real life"/in the room feel? what?

From what i understand its not that they will sound better but you will get more of what was captured when the impulse was made.

If you really want to experience what high resolution IRs sound like just use your computer, most IR host plugging support 8ms IR resolution thats as high as they go for cab IRs, i hope i have this correct.

UltraRes is a way to have more of those milliseconds with out additional processing power. In the computer you get all the power of the processor to reproduce the high res IR, in the axe FX its impractical and it would take too much processing power to let IRs play at its top resolution, that why they get truncated to 2.5 ms i think.

At least this is so far what i understand this whole UltraRes deal is.

TNX Nicolas... and do you think that our IRs collections (from OH RW FAS etc... in the AxeFxII format) are just "ready to use" with this technology?

Cab Lab availability update please...

Cab-Lab 1.0 is a new Cab IR Software Tool Kit designed to help Axe-Fx II owners get the most out of their User Cab IR collections.

Here are the current features.

• Mix up to 8 sysex/wav IRs
    • Mute/solo capabilities
  • Send mixed IR to Axe-Fx II
    • Scratchpad
    • Designated user cab location
  • Save mixed IR to file
  • IR renaming
    • Double-click the IR name in the Select window to rename it. When the text editor loses focus the IR is re-saved to disk with the new name.
    • Supports only sysex IRs.
  • Save/load a session
    • Creates a .cls file containing pointers to the IRs you've selected within the session as well as stores the db level and the mute/solo states.
  • "Most recently used" support for IR browsing/saving as well as session loading/saving.

Cab-Lab is being demo'd today at Axe-Fest 2.
It will be available for $20 our web store later this month.

Availability update please...

TNX Nicolas... and do you think that our IRs collections (from OH RW FAS etc... in the AxeFxII format) are just "ready to use" with this technology?

I would guess they are not, the ones already converted to the Fractal format have been truncated, thats why CabLab is here, it will, again, that with CabLab we will convert the original .wav format IRs that have all the HD info into UltraRes resolution and the truncated versions as well.

...do you think that our IRs collections (from OH RW FAS etc... in the AxeFxII format) are just "ready to use" with this technology?
Nope. The new IRs will be longer.than the old ones. But the old ones will still sound just as good as they always have.

I have a question about cab lab.

Can you route cab lab up in such a way that you can edit and listen in real time with the hybrid cab in your signal chain or do you have to guess, import, adjust, import, etc...?

Can you route cab lab up in such a way that you can edit and listen in real time with the hybrid cab in your signal chain or do you have to guess, import, adjust, import, etc...?
Even with Cab-Lab, you have to load your IR into the Axe to hear it. Instead of guess/adjust/adjust/adjust, it's guess/import/adjust/import/adjust...

Just a dumb question, probably but... I just bought the soft and I don't know how to mix Axe-FX factory cabs (not user cabs) ? Any ideas ?

Just a dumb question, probably but... I just bought the soft and I don't know how to mix Axe-FX factory cabs (not user cabs) ? Any ideas ?

The factory cabs aren't generally available for mixing in Cab-Lab. If you buy the Mad Oak and Wellspring Sound cab packs you'll have access to those mixed IRs that are in the Axe-Fx II as they're included in the packs.

You could shoot an IR of an Axe-Fx factory cab if you had a second Axe-Fx or the means to capture IRs on your computer and extract IRs of them that way to use in Cab-Lab.

Or you could use your Cab-Lab mixes in a stereo cab block and bring in factory cabs as the second cab in the factory cab block.

Thanks for the answer. However, I think FAS should release a free pack with all factory cabs for the Cab Lab users. Honesly, reading the software description made me think it was possible (even if we cant export them afterward, probably for copyright reasons).

It should be easy for FAS to implement this feature for the next release.

Back
Top Bottom