Announcing Axe-Fx III Mark II

Congrats! Nice surprise for the people on the waitlist.

If I had to wager a guess, the extra flash memory will come in handy to capture and store custom speaker impedance curves, as Cliff mentioned in the past that he was contemplating incorporating such a feature in the future.

Last edited:
This is so cool. My favorite is the added flash for future upgrades. That kind of open-ended, forward-thinking stuff really sets Fractal apart from the pack.

Well damn. I didn't think we'd ever see a Mark II but this is a pleasant surprise. One of my biggest gripes about the Mark I is that the logo isn't green. I'm not kidding. I've been fantasizing about a version where you can change the color of the logo and here it is.

This is so cool. My favorite is the added flash for future upgrades. That kind of open-ended, forward-thinking stuff really sets Fractal apart from the pack.
Guess myself and a few other Mk I owners are scratching their heads about this feature. Already been said that there is plenty of space in the Mk I for future firmware updates. So is this space just for more presets and IRs (which I only use a fraction of now), or is their some other functionality that the Mk I won't be able to support in the future? I know there has been some discussion on TGP about a patent for a profiler type function Fractal submitted last winter. Maybe space for future "profiles"?

The image in the OP got me thinking... while in operation the grid/layout is displayed. Is there a way to change it so that something else (e.g. the Axe-FX III logo/banner) is displayed instead?

Guess myself and a few other Mk I owners are scratching their heads about this feature. Already been said that there is plenty of space in the Mk I for future firmware updates. So is this space just for more presets and IRs (which I only use a fraction of now), or is their some other functionality that the Mk I won't be able to support in the future? I know there has been some discussion on TGP about a patent for a profiler type function Fractal submitted last winter. Maybe space for future "profiles"?

My guess is that the cost of flash storage has lowered enough to where it just doesn't make sense to keep the storage space the same for newer units. It could also be that due to the advancement of technology the chips in the supply chain are now higher capacity and the previous ones are being retired (which definitely happens in the flash storage space), which would mean Fractal would kinda have to introduce a "newer" version with higher capacity, and they probably tacked on the other features in order to flesh out/justify a "mark II" release.

Just speculation though.

wait... does this mean you can actually turn off the logo in the Mark II? Strangely enough, that may be the most compelling feature for me :tearsofjoy:

It's not extra firmware space. There's already plenty of that.

It's extra FLASH for "future expansion". This might be factory or user cabs or some other data. I have several ideas I'm kicking around that would use it.

So flash over usb on a mark 1 a maybe or untenable?

My guess is that the cost of flash storage has lowered enough to where it just doesn't make sense to keep the storage space the same for newer units. It could also be that due to the advancement of technology the chips in the supply chain are now higher capacity and the previous ones are being retired (which definitely happens in the flash storage space), which would mean Fractal would kinda have to introduce a "newer" version with higher capacity, and they probably tacked on the other features in order to flesh out/justify a "mark II" release.

Just speculation though.

I'm assuming that's partly the answer: It was easy to upgrade the total flash storage when the refreshed so they did. This let them add more preset space as the most obvious limit people might be brushing up against (some people fill the 2000 user cab slots but honestly, that's just hoarding not a practical requirement). And there was still more space available and they're leaving it open to decide later how to use it.

Could just become more user cab slots or preset slots, could become impedance curve storage as someone mentioned, could become space for storing amp profiles if rumors about that coming are to be believed. Maybe it's part of a grand design and feature requirement, or maybe it's just that it was easy to add while refreshing the screen and now it's available to use when a good use comes up.

OK... who wants to sell me their place in line ? :) . Just waitlisted. Excited for the evolution of the unit. Will definitely be really nice to have more preset slots. Keeping my fingers crossed that this might also mean some enhancements around preset/IR/Block management. I've already got my "wishes" in the queue so I'll not go deep down that rabbit hole.

My philosophy on these enhanced units is to purchase pretty much as soon as they come out. Often, my existing unit ends up permanently living in my rehearsal space OR I sell it and someone gains entry into the Fractal ecosystem at a really great price point. I want Fractal to always be funded so they can continue on their amazing journey. While I am in a position to do so financially I'll always upgrade. Their hardware holds its value so well its not much of a hit if I'm selling my previous unit.

Thanks all!

Personally, I think it's pretty cool to set the logo color. LEDs are hard to capture on film but I'll try to make a video. Those extra preset memories are also going to be most appreciated.

PS: Yes, I posted this here FIRST and will now update the web site, social media, and the rest of the world. Hard to say in front of you guys otherwise :)

Please post a video with the front logo LED set to green. Pleeeaaase? :innocent:

What do you mean? Adding a USB Flash Drive for more flash space? The III doesn't have a USB host port.
I am probably not fluent enough in USB. But I’ll give it another go…

My III connects to a M$ft surface via a USB cable. Just wondering out loud if that could be utilized? Probably not; or to ever be fast enough. But I thought I would ask.

I am not sure what you mean by “host”, but if you mean that this is a stupid/uninformed ignorant idea - well I could be convinced without any argument. 🤪

Greetings to all,

Starting today we will begin selling a new version of the Axe-Fx III. The new Axe-Fx III Mark II features the following upgrades:
  • New IPS Display offers improved contrast, better viewing angles and more vivid colors.
  • Double the preset memory = space for 1024 presets.
  • Adjustable RGB LEDs let you set the color and brightness of the front panel logo.
  • Increased flash memory for future updates.
Presets between the original and the Mark II are completely compatible.

The Axe-Fx III Mark II has a direct price of $2099.99. Everyone on the existing waitlist will receive invitations for the newer version.
If you're not on the waitlist but would like to get one of the first Axe-Fx III Mark II units, please send an email to waitlist@fractalaudio.com

View attachment 72424
Wow cool!!!! Now I want one, but that would make no sense haha. Awesome though!!!

Back
Top Bottom