Announcing Axe-Fx III Mark II

Yeah, a field or factory upgrade option would be good. Maybe someday there will be a display upgrade for the right side front panel bay...
I really dont care about the dispay, but I had the mcf-101 mark I back in the axe-fx ii days, which didn't get the, for me crucial, last update because of memory issues. For now it seems that this will not be the case for the axefx iii...but I still have it in the back of my mind :)

Me too. I would rather have waited.
I’ve had my Axe-FX III since May 11, 2020 – four months to the day. I would not trade those four months of joy for the latest and greatest model, period.

Phones get updated. Computers get updated. Cars get updated. Fractal gear gets updated.

As I’m typing this, I’m realizing that I might not be sounding very helpful – so let me rephrase it by telling you the truth about my experience:

I bought an Ultra. It blew my mind. Not long afterwards, the Axe-FX II was released. I still loved my Ultra.

I bought an Axe-FX II mkII. It blew my mind. Not long afterwards, the Axe-FX II XL was released. I still loved my Axe-FX II mkII.

Four months ago, I bought an Axe-FX III. It blew my mind. A couple days ago, the Axe-FX III mkII was released. I still love my Axe-FX III.

As surely as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, any tech you purchase will eventually be superseded. Understanding that is part of growing up and being an adult.

(P.S. – I make no claim to being an adult, or acting like one. I play with my Axe-FX like I’m in kindergarten, and it’s a set of finger-paints. I know it’s not my stock portfolio. I don’t have a stock portfolio. I invest in myself, and buy Fractal gear instead.)

Last edited:
I’ve had my Axe-FX III since May 11, 2020 – four months to the day. I would not trade those four months of joy for the latest and greatest model, period.

Phones get updated. Computers get updated. Cars get updated. Fractal gear gets updated.

As I’m typing this, I’m realizing that I might not be sounding very helpful – so let me rephrase it by telling you the truth about my experience:

I bought an Ultra. It blew my mind. Not long afterwards, the Axe-FX II was released. I still loved my Ultra.

I bought an Axe-FX II mkII. It blew my mind. Not long afterwards, the Axe-FX II XL was released. I still loved my Axe-FX II mkII.

Four months ago, I bought an Axe-FX III. It blew my mind. A couple days ago, the Axe-FX III mkII was released. I still love my Axe-FX III.

As surely as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, any tech you purchase will eventually be superseded. Understanding that is part of growing up and being an adult.

(P.S. – I make no claim to being an adult, or acting like one. I play with my Axe-FX like I’m in kindergarten, and it’s a set of finger-paints. I know it’s not my stock portfolio. I don’t have a stock portfolio. I invest in myself, and buy Fractal gear instead.)
Agree 100%. The forward thinking, always evolving nature of Fractal is the one of the core reasons the AxeFx products are so phenomenal. If someone struggles with that they may want to stick with the traditional amplification approaches.

Thanks! But didnt mention whether the SKU is different.
I assume you mean CPU?

If so that was exactly my point.

The first post tells you what is different.

If the processing power was different I don't think it would have been left out of the post.

i know what that is, but is that what he's really asking about?
You could replace the DSP module but you're looking at around $1000 for that. Wouldn't be worth it.

Its cheaper than getting a whole new mark2, that statement also implies a new DSP and new DSP will result in new SKU and SKU change will have an affect on the configuration of the DSP chip. Heres a link for reference.. its an old article but it is explained in the first paragraph https://www.codedivine.org/2012/11/28/texas-instruments-keystone-ii-hpc-perspective/

sorry for not being clear in my question, but it was only meant for the people in the know.

Last edited:
Its cheaper than getting a whole new mark2, that statement also implies a new DSP and new DSP will result in new SKU and SKU change will have an affect on the configuration of the DSP chip. Heres a link for reference.. its an old article but it is explained in the first paragraph https://www.codedivine.org/2012/11/28/texas-instruments-keystone-ii-hpc-perspective/

sorry for not being clear in my question, but it was only meant for the people in the know.
It's the other way around. A new SKU doesn't imply a different processor. But a different processor would imply a different SKU. So would a different screen, or different memory, or even a different color.

The link you posted only explains the configuration of a specific SKU in a particular Texas Instruments product.

“I play with my Axe-FX like I’m in kindergarten”

Love this thought. Last night I spent at least an hour with my Strat copy on position 2 going through the Naked Amps presets for the Fender amps. No particular reason, just the fun of hearing the sounds.

Kids are kids, but some First World adults also whine when they realize that their car, motorbike, mobile phone, TV or computer has been updated with a new edition. Some get hysterical at TGP. The thread there has gone bananas :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom