Announcing Axe-Fx III Mark II TURBO

I asked this before and never got an answer. Is the case marked Turbo? Does the splash screen show Turbo?

See my post above yours. This is the only difference I can see is at boot up.
Yes. I see. I would have thought they would have wanted to advertise it a little more. I thought the Turbo name would look good on the splash screen. I'm sure that would not be hard to code.

Can you please confirm if any of the specific block limitations have changed? i.e. can you add an additional amp block now?
No changes there.
Here is a signal chain and resultant DSP example.
Compressor > Drive > 2 AMP > 1 FullRes CAB (slots 3 and 4) > 3 Delays > 2 Reverbs (Ultra High) > PlexDly
69-71% DSP.
So getting a MK II Turbo is just what the doctor ordered for me.

We are pleased to announce an option for new Axe-Fx III Mark II customers. The unit can now be purchased with an optional TURBO module. This provides a 25% higher clock speed allowing for more complex presets which would exceed the limits of the standard DSP module.

The new option adds $200 to the retail price at the time of purchase. Axe-Fx III Mark II Turbo will be available beginning Sept 28, 2021.

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-mkii-preamp-fx-processor/

View attachment 89264
Got mine today and I am very very pleased.
Thank You Fractal.
Always making it easier for me to get the sound I want so I can focus on playing and not playing with my gear.

Has anyone tested out the CPU difference in a preset once implementing the FullRes IRs?
On my mk1, adding 1 Fullrez IR adds about 12-13%CPU usage - adding 2 in IR Player which is how I would use it to mix in L/R with the regular cab IRs I use, its +25% - So, to avoid compromises in my presets that tend to currently run around 75%, I could invest in TURBO and be fine adding Fullres to my presets. Luckily for my checkbook, I'm still not sure how much improvements I can get from Fullres for the stuff I do so I'll likely wait until the 4 to upgrade. Some may be able to squeeze more from their current mk1/mk2 with Fullres by jettisoning the reverb block when adding Fullres IRs to gain back 10% or so - I've already outsourced reverb/rotary/enhancer to my old spdif'd Axefx 2 so that's not a savings option for me.

Has anyone tested out the CPU difference in a preset once implementing the FullRes IRs?
Sure, I see a 15% increase when switching between 1 FullRes CAB vs 1 UltraRes CAB each loaded with 2 IR's
I have also been looking at the mixes option for the higher length IR's I have to consolidated to 1 slot instead of 2.
EDIT: For Clarity

Last edited:
What will change in the future is anyone’s guess, but it expands what you can do within the current framework now. Folks are getting confused over “allowed” number of blocks. It will possibly allow you to use more blocks by lowering CPU percentage use in a preset, but as of this moment does not allow more instances of a block than a non-turbo unit based on limitation in the firmware. In other words, you cannot stick 3 amp blocks and 3 cab blocks in there.

Yet.
I don't think additional blocks will become an option for the Turbo unit as that would require a different firmware.

I don't think additional blocks will become an option for the Turbo unit as that would require a different firmware.
You may be right. It’s just a possibility-guess on my part that, at some future juncture , the extra muscle will become a divergence point between the units. Or not. No telling at this moment, and I certainly don’t wish to fan the flames of discontent. Just a thought.

So I asked this before, but didn't really get an answer. Will the number of allowed amps, cabs, effects, etc. per preset change, or is it just going to allow more within that framework?
As per my understanding (and I could be wrong), the extra 25% clock speed is to use the "FullRes" IRs without maxing out the DSP. It seems you can't do this using the standard MK2. As for number of blocks they are the same since Turbo is using the same firmware.

Last edited:
As per my understanding (and I could be wrong), the extra 25% clock speed is only to use the "FullRes" IRs without maxing out the DSP. It seems you can't do this using the standard MK2. As for number of blocks they are the same since Turbo is using the same firmware.
That is not entirely correct, You can use FullRes IR on the non-Turbo version w/o Maxing the CPU. But, it does use more CPU than an Ultra-Res cab. The extra 25% can be used for whatever you want. I am running many presets at near the limit on my MK I. I actually had to take some effects out to keep from running over. This can happen when you run "kitchen sink" preset. 25% boost will be a real help for me.

As you said, the maximum number of each type of block has not changed.

That is not entirely correct, You can use FullRes IR on the non-Turbo version w/o Maxing the CPU. But, it does use more CPU than an Ultra-Res cab. The extra 25% can be used for whatever you want. I am running many presets at near the limit on my MK I. I actually had to take some effects out to keep from running over. This can happen when you run "kitchen sink" preset. 25% boost will be a real help for me.

As you said, the maximum number of each type of block has not changed.

I usually add lots of ambience with reverbs and delays. So I'm thinking fullres may not work so much for me. The clock boost will make the III 25% more fun though.

Back
Top Bottom