Announcing Axe-Fx III Mark II TURBO

What exactly is the turbo module? is it real 25% dsp upgrade or just firmware optimization over the same dsp of MK2?
According to what I've read, the CPU is clocked 25% faster. Not much other detail was given, though they mention that it should allow more blocks to be used simultaneously. If all of that 25% translates to reduction of CPU load, then a preset that ran at around 80% would run around 64%....

According to what I've read, the CPU is clocked 25% faster. Not much other detail was given, though they mention that it should allow more blocks to be used simultaneously....
It is not clocked faster. It is a faster CPU

Everything is the same except the processor speed. The Turbo module has a 1.25 GHz processor. The standard module has a 1.00 GHz processor.

Some of the supporting components (power supply stuff) are also different but that's not visible to the user.

1.25GHz is the clock speed. The old and busted processor only runs at 1.0GHz. The new hotness runs 25% faster because it is capable of being clocked that fast by its improved design/manufacture.

:) So, I guess we're both right. :)

? I'm pretty sure it is just clocked faster. A faster CPU means something else entirely (i.e. more efficient IPC, faster caches, more cache... etc).
Now this means you have to buy a binned part that is qualified to be able to run at the higher clock speed, hence the separate module.

Good question. If they allowed six instances of blocks like the Synth, Filter, Vol/Pan, Drive, IR Player, Pitch, etc, for hex-processing with a hex-pickup (the Axe-FX III has 7 inputs), I would definitively go for it.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...h-and-other-blocks-for-hex-processing.163063/

I have already tried processing the strings separately at the Axe-FX, using the available blocks. It is a lot of fun

Here is a test using -1 octave pitch shift at strings 5 and 6, synth with 3 voices at string 1

Preset available here

Love this! Major Quentin Tarantino vibes. 🦶👀

2 things update here firmware which is software from version 16.05 current to version 17 then the turbo is a hardware update that does totally not get when updating the firmware.

question is that is the version 17 firmware still safe for the non-turbo version of a fractal axe fx III mk II ?

Love the Turbo idea. I am going to DIY by de-lidding my Axe-FX III's DSP and then cooling it with liquid nitrogen. I can probably get a 50%+ boost. My goal is to simultaneously run every instance of every block type.

Will this void my warranty?

I got that but it's not clear whether FAS put a new processor of 1.25 GHZ or just overclocked the same one of MK2? because overclocking may lower the life of the components. I think only Cliff can answer/clarify this point.

Last edited:
Everything is the same except the processor speed. The Turbo module has a 1.25 GHz processor. The standard module has a 1.00 GHz processor.

Some of the supporting components (power supply stuff) are also different but that's not visible to the user.
Was this done in a way that it could be upgraded if/when future speed bumps occur in the processor line?

Wondering whether the increased clock speed can provide total reduced processing latency, or most importantly, for the latency affected effects like Pitch block / Virtual capo? Improving it further would be always welcome for better feel, at least to me.

What I really need to know is: Does the Turbo version play the first few synth notes of "Out in the Cold" by Judas Priest upon startup?

I would have sell my Mark I to get the Turbo edition if that's the case.

Can I add the module to my Mk2?
I believe it’s not a module you can « add » but in fact a complete new DSP.
It’s like getting the option to have better processor on you computer. 1GHz versus 1,25GHz.
Apparently nothing is different otherwise, no more memory or some stuff like that.
The true question is = is that « only » to get more effect blocks or is this going to introduce a new amp modeling level or tech?
I wouldn’t replace my mkII with this turbo if it’s only for more quantity. But if it’s going to bring something exciting, I’ll get in.
Of course usually if a new breakthrough tech would come it could be more classic to introduce the AxeFxIV.
So hard to know with Cliff.
BTW I can afford to buy a new AF each year so I don’t care. It’s like iPhones or cars. You know you won’t keep it for years. It’s also a way to promote innovation.
The good point is that I have my second hand buyer pushing me each time a new product is announced, so I don’t really think about it ;)

What I really need to know is: Does the Turbo version play the first few synth notes of "Out in the Cold" by Judas Priest upon startup?

I would have sell my Mark I to get the Turbo edition if that's the case.
No, it does not.
Keep your MkI and play "Out in the Cold" upon startup.

Back
Top Bottom