Announcing Axe-Fx II XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree Clark. Good business is offering the customer what he dreamed of, or what he always wanted to have but what he didn't imagine being "possible" or what he didn't know he wanted until it became possible. FAS is realising a dream with each new FW version I feel.

Haha... I was being ironic once again. :) That is not the strategy I would personally follow. I'm pretty sure the majority of people isn't using even 25% of the things you can do with the Axe-Fx II. That includes me f.ex. who has never tone matched anything with my own Axe-II although I'm the match EQ go-to-guy. :D

I thought the original plan to have "one black box that does everything". Well it's not one box when you have an MFC, expression pedals, two stage monitors, the Axe-Fx itself, cables to turn the stage into an ER operation room. Right now... my rig is just as complicated as it was in the tube times so what's the point then? Okay I have a lot more versatility.

Sure this is evolution and allows the product to advance BUT a much bigger evolution would be to think out of the box like f.ex. how smart phones revolutionized. A high quality wireless system integrated with the Axe-Fx? Wireless MFC controlling? That's two things that could make life so much easier... but ofcourse that's technical evolution and not just code. :) Yeah yeah latency issues blah-blah... just do it.

But you have "free" health care. So, you've got that going for you. :)
"Which is nice..." - Carl the assistant greenskeeper.

Don't kid yourself. Nothing is free. Thats where the tax money goes. We have "oganized/managed healthcare for the population". But it IS paid for.

Last edited:
Isn't that what this announcement is...a heads up to customers? Much different than the infamous countdown.
For those that didn't buy the axe fx II last month, why yes it is...;)

Ya gotta roll the dice at some point...

As they say timing is everything... and I've had both good timing and bad.

I sold my AxeFXII a year and half ago to help finance a business venture that didn't work out (bad timing). Now that I'm ready to get back in the Fractal fold I decided to check out if there's any news on the Fractal forum (good timing!).

The AxeFX II-XL and MFC-101 MK3 are on my 'must have' list once gain.

My only (relatively minor) concern is whether the fan in the Axe has been upgraded to one that is quieter? I tend to work in studio control room type environments and quiet rooms with others who were annoyed by the fan noise, as was I.

off topic...
Welcome back. I wondered where you went.

back on topic.

You guys have me confused now about the number of blocks in a preset. I need to re-read Cliff's post about the XL.

Last edited:
Exactly! The new model seems to be more geared towards the "power user" who uses the looper extensively, utilizes complex patches, lots of effects, etc., and is frustrated by the limitations of the current model. For me, using basic patches of guitar -> cab with a few effects every now and then, it'd be a case of overkill. I'm pretty confident that we'll continue to enjoy firmware updates and support for a good while with our "older" units.

Sorry, but no update for looper's memory in the XL said Cliff.

I've been using the Axe FX II and MFC-101 for more than 2 years now....awesome unit...Axe FX II XL announced by FAS...I'm not sure I'm ready to upgrade. The features are good but do we really need it? Especially for those users who have just purchased the unit a few months ago or still learning how to get a good tone. For those who intend to buy it...start ordering with the new MFC-101. Awesome product from FAS as always...

I don't know about the others, But as long as amp simulations and updates are the same, I don't see a reason to upgrade. it's not the same situation that we had when II came out and Ultra's hardware capabilities was already fully used.

Does this announcement make the likelihood of a AXE FX III further away or even closer . Needs a few more goodies in the magic box to be bringing out a III i suppose . Who knows :roll

Does this announcement make the likelihood of a AXE FX III further away or even closer .

Much further away! about 3 or 4 years from now.... and in the tech world a lot will have changed by that time!, we are seeing a huge evolution in modelling by other companies today, imagine where its all going to be 4 years from now!

Does this announcement make the likelihood of a AXE FX III further away or even closer . Needs a few more goodies in the magic box to be bringing out a III i suppose . Who knows :roll

I can't imagine why FAS would refresh the II and designate extra memory for future updates if they are planning to supersede it with a new unit soon. There's at least those updates planned for its longevity. I think the admin post alluded to the new memory and features being something which happened incidentally whilst redesigning the unit to accommodate for the Ethercon connection.

I can't imagine why FAS would refresh the II and designate extra memory for future updates if they are planning to supersede it with a new unit soon. There's at least those updates planned for its longevity. I think the admin post alluded to the new memory and features being something which happened incidentally whilst redesigning the unit to accommodate for the Ethercon connection.

Just think how expensive an Axe-fx III would be. If he could strap another Processor in there and have them all talking in sync, man that would be cool, but also extremely expensive. Of course you really have to say to yourself, is 99.99999999 really going to matter much, to a bunch of drunks in a bar.

I'm truly excited for this new device, when I was at AXE-FEST II and I saw the Faslink cable thingie, I thought this is brilliant, everyone has an XLR cable lying around. Now having more memory for having more memory might be overkill for a guy like me who uses 5 to 10 presets max, but I was one of the Hardcore fan boys who got on the list the moment it came out, and it would be nice to have a newer one with more bells and whistles.

Pros are going to love this thing, because Cliff put in Redundancy and backup, pretty important for a touring musician or his tech.

Reactions: sam
My theory/wishful thinking .

1. Fractal spend time with the edge going through the Axe FX II
2. Edge says its great ! But I need a bit more out of this if I'm going to use for small gigs
3. Fractal come back with FXII XL
4. Edge tests it out and says this is better . I will use at Sean Penn Charity event . "I will place it on my table just here"
5. Gig goes well
6. A week or two later Fractal announce the new AXE- FX XL :)

2. Edge says its great ! But I need a bit more out of this if I'm going to use for small gigs
4. Edge tests it out and says this is better . I will use at Sean Penn Charity event . "I will place it on my table just here"
5. Gig goes well

You`re theory seems to be totally wrong: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/80931-about-axe-fx-ii-xl.html#post982873

5. Gig goes well

You`re theory seems to be totally wrong: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/80931-about-axe-fx-ii-xl.html#post982873

It`s named "XL", not "The Edge signature" ....

For those that didn't buy the axe fx II last month, why yes it is...;)

Ya gotta roll the dice at some point...

Yup, that's me, only been at this a few months. I don't feel like I was robbed.
AFX2 does what I want it to, does it well, and has only gotten better than it was when I bought it for the price I agreed to pay for its capabilities back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom