Announcing Axe-Fx II XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
eheh what a great news!! Congrats FAS!!

- 128 Mb of non-volatile Super-FLASH memory allows for storage of up to 512 presets and 512 user cabinets with copious reserves for future expansion.
- Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects.
OMG you guys will have to create 128 new factory presets to fill the extra slots? :mrgreen
By the way thanks for this double preset capacity hint. I now better understand why the II provides up to 4 and generally 2 instances of a given block type.

Good job! :mrgreen

Last edited:
This looks pretty cool. The main draw for me would be the double size presets and more instances of fx types.

Nice lol. To be honest, Axe FX II Ultra would have been better (to have some kind of consistency in the whole range of product).

The Axe Fx II Ultra will have two 800MHz TigerSharc DSP`s :D But first, Analog Devices have to develop them ... :mrgreen

that looks great! some people (like me) who go direct to FOH and use QSC k12's could benefit from have XLR outputs on output 2 as well. just a thought

tl;dr past the opening post, but I wonder if this (XL) has anything to do with UltraRes cabinet modeling?

I regularly get up into the 90% usage range on my presets and often encounter issues when recording direct via USB that are solved by reducing my presets... would the XL effectively reduce my CPU usage from 90-ish% to, say, 75-80% and let me record with all of my bells & whistles intact?

Nice update - but I'll try to make my AxeII-MkI last until the Axe3 comes out.

Is the 4cable method mod that a number of people sent their units in for (I believe it was to reduce noise from Axe out 2 to front of higher gain amps) included in this version? I would have expected to see an on/off option for this in updated hardware.

Nice to see something to address the update fail recovery.

I'd like to hear more about this "Secret Sauce III"

It was my understanding that my guitar had more self noise than the Axe and that is really quiet anyway. Far more quite than my Uberschall and Boogie heads. Cliff has always been proud of the Axe adding less noise than a guitar does, so are these improvements dramatic and if so, what context are these improvements most noticeable?

Perfectionism.

tl;dr past the opening post, but I wonder if this (XL) has anything to do with UltraRes cabinet modeling?

I regularly get up into the 90% usage range on my presets and often encounter issues when recording direct via USB that are solved by reducing my presets... would the XL effectively reduce my CPU usage from 90-ish% to, say, 75-80% and let me record with all of my bells & whistles intact?

Unfortunately the CPU didn't get upgraded, you will still have the same processing demand. The added memory will let you create new patched with 2 or 3 instances of the same FX blocks where before you could only use 1.

With this XL version practically im guessing we will not see an Axe FX III for at least another 3 years...., but i bet we will be getting a lot of new amps now that there are enough free space, thats what was one of the issues with ULTRA, it ran out of space.

Now, just how much more amps will the Axe FX II handle in the future?

I believe Cliff already said there is room for thousands of amps in the existing AxeFx II. I don't think this upgrade has anything to do with that. It's about more complex presets, routing etc.

Well, you can't but think the Axe FX II will fill its memory... still, just how more complex can you get with out horse power to back it up?

Unfortunately the CPU didn't get upgraded, you will still have the same processing demand. The added memory will let you create new patched with 2 or 3 instances of the same FX blocks where before you could only use 1.

With this XL version practically im guessing we will not see an Axe FX III for at least another 3 years...., but i bet we will be getting a lot of new amps now that there are enough free space, thats what was one of the issues with ULTRA, it ran out of space.

Now, just how much more amps will the Axe FX II handle in the future?

I don't know if I should be sad that I'll have to keep stripping my presets to record, or happy that I still don't need to worry about g.a.s. :?
It would be nice, for me personally, if amp models & FX could be added or removed from the AFX2 a la carte style, should the need for more room ever arise... clearly not a pressing concern, but still.

I do love the Axe II and Fractal, but despise the marketing slight of hand as I just bought a back up AII. Would have been great for a heads up to customers - especially when it involves preset memory. Reminds me of the step from Ultra to II.

But, I will be right there in line for an XL.

Lets see, it is January now and it isn't going to be released until March (at least)... That sounds like a heads up to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom