Announcing Axe-Fx II XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do love the Axe II and Fractal, but despise the marketing slight of hand as I just bought a back up AII. Would have been great for a heads up to customers - especially when it involves preset memory. Reminds me of the step from Ultra to II.

But, I will be right there in line for an XL.

The 2nd pedal input is a cool feature for those that don't use an mfc.
Agree. Especially since the 2nd pedal input actually allows using the Axe live without any midi controller at all.

I can use a single footswitch and a single expression pedal and basicly have all I need if done right:
- Use the switch to advance presets (need to place them in consecutive order that way - good thing there's also more memory on the XL ;) )
- Use the expression pedal for whatever you need it for

Or if I use an analogue wah/volume, I can use two footswitches for scene up and down and use the front panel to change presets (for the one preset per song approach).

If only that would have come earlier. I could have saved a lot of money on a midi board ... (at the cost of a pricier Axe, so it's basicly whatever).

I do love the Axe II and Fractal, but despise the marketing slight of hand as I just bought a back up AII. Would have been great for a heads up to customers - especially when it involves preset memory. Reminds me of the step from Ultra to II.

They don't exactly have to tell their customers before an official announcement. That wouldn't make any sense, and is in no way the same as the fracas that surrounded the II.

Isn't that what this announcement is...a heads up to customers? Much different than the infamous countdown.

I'm curious about "forward compatibility"... Will presets created on the XL be useable on the regular II? Probably not in case of the ones which use PEQ X/Y etc, but what about simple presets which wouldn't push the regular II into its memory limits?

In any case, congrats on the new product FAS! :)

I'm curious about "forward compatibility"... Will presets created on the XL be useable on the regular II? Probably not in case of the ones which use PEQ X/Y etc, but what about simple presets which wouldn't push the regular II into its memory limits?

There's promised interoperability for XL/non-XL preset exchange via Axe-Edit. How that'll work in the long run remains to be seen, but I've got faith in the guys behind Axe-Edit -- they know what they're doing.

In any case, congrats on the new product FAS! :)

That why I would prefer to trade 192 presets slots (192 is fine seriously) and get the new double-capacity preset size on my old-vintage Axe-II !!! :) I'm sure FAS could do that.

Last edited:
That why I would prefer to trade 192 presets slots (192 is fine seriously) and get the new double-capacity preset size on my old-vintage Axe-II !!! :) I'm sure FAS could do that.

Yep. If the filesize of a preset is the (only) limiting reason of expansion Block X/Y and instances, lets decrease anything, which frees up for bigger file sizes! Less User Cabs, Less Presets or whatevever to entlarge the functionality ....

IOW: If this could be implement technical, it should! I`d kill for more X/Y capabilities.

FAS: Gratulations on the XL. Looks exiting. I wonder though if making bigger(=more expensive) machines is the (only) way to go.

A lot( I expect ) of us with the AXE II will not (At least not right away) Update to the XL. The people that are interested in modeling gear already bought one(Or not if they think it is too expensive - They will also NOT buy the XL)

To get more to come the Modelling way, I think a smaller(cheaper) one would be better. (many of us would also buy this for back-up-small gig purpose)

Anyway. I probably will GAS for this anyway and save up for it….:)

Good luck on your XL

AAEN

Yes, a cool upgrade but for us living in Ontario theres a 13percent tax plus shipping.... I figure, if I was to try and make an attempt at upgrading and give fractal my money it would cost me $1200. Sell mine for $2000, then buy the new one at $2700 + tax and shipping =
$3200. Wouldnt be fiscally responsible. Could buy a decent guitar for that. Great upgrade for Metallica though. They could build some really complex presets for the next album.... ;) My guess is that this new XL may sell mostly to the new or first time Axe FX buyer, or maybe an Ultra guy finally ready to bite the bullet and upgrade.

In Brazil the XL would range @ US$ 5,800.00 due to the highest taxes (in the world) and profit. Since I am happy with my II, I will only keep on following the threads here for the XL. Congrats FAS for this new product.

Last edited:
I don't have good cause to upgrade now, but if I ever decide I need two or my current unit dies, then this will be the logical next choice. Good for people currently on the fence about getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom