Announcing Axe-Fx II XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cliff has stated that there will be more depth available to people's patches and effects.

Does this mean that the XL will be supporting a different variety of effects that the regular models cannot? Or does this just mean that maybe instead of 2 delay blocks you can load up 4 instead? An explanation would be good.

Will the extra ram allow extra looper time? Reason I ask is that I have been thinking of getting a looper pedal when I get back, but if it's more cost effective to buy a IIXL, that'd be the route I will go.

1. Each preset holds twice as much data. This allows more complicated presets that contain more parameters. Since each block that has X/Y capability has twice the parameters than if it didn't have X/Y this allows for more blocks with X/Y capability. So I've added X/Y to the Parametric EQ, Graphic EQ and Pan/Tremolo. This also allows for more instances of effects, like Drive blocks. It also leaves room for future expansion.

2. The DSP and modeling are identical. Firmware shares the same code base so firmware updates apply to both equally.

So on a preset that currently hit's the CPU ceiling on the II, it will still be the same CPU usage on the XL?

Same here. More looper time = a done deal.

Yes, the XLR connection will be AWESOME! More presets and user cabs will be overkill awesome.

As if I didn't already have enough to sell at a massive loss. LOL! (I'm keeping my regular Axe FX II)

So what is the difference between the midi on the II vs. the II XL, and under what conditions does the difference matter?

So what is the difference between the midi on the II vs. the II XL, and under what conditions does the difference matter?

Faster, Better, Higher.....??? Sorry, I don't know! But it's funny how many pages this thing has here......

FAS!!! You're late - Firmware 11 was already out in summer 2013 :mrgreen

The whole thing with the "secret sauce III imput" reminds me on the story of another big company in the business. One of their device was produced in three different versions - one features a NE5532 OPAmp, the 2nd lacks of two (needless) capacitors and the 3rd has a "special sauce" OPAmp from manufacturer Analog Devices in it (2$ more production costs) - message boards were full of talk "how you can't play serious music without the past generation of the device". Hahahahaha....:mrgreen ......:lol

Still love my AxeFx II Mk2 - it's a great device with a yet long lifespan.....

PS: I building my first own tube amp (pre-production state) - dosen't need XY, dosen't need firmware updates and is maybe a "one- or two trick pony" overall. But these "tricks" were spot on! :frog:

Cheers
Paco

Last edited:
These are some pretty nice updates although I get the feeling that the majority of current AFXII users won't feel the need to upgrade. Potential users on the other end have 2 options to choose from. It's gonna be interesting to see which version will sell better in the long run when the XL hits the market in March.

• Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects.
  • 128 Mb of non-volatile Super-FLASH memory allows for storage of up to 512 presets and 512 user cabinets with copious reserves for future expansion.
  • Primary VALUE entry via optical encoder with a lifespan of 1,000,000+ rotations.
  • Built-in backup firmware allows recovery in the event of complications during update.
^^^
These are the only features of the XL that really interest me, in order of importance. Is it worth selling both my Axe-FX II's and replacing them with XL's? At this point probably not . . .

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has already been asked, but: Any chance of FAS offering a memory upgrade on the Mark II's (for a fee of course) so we can at least get the 512 user cabinets?

As I unterstand it more parameters for an effect isn't identical with using more CPU capacity. That's meaning you get more knobs to taylor the sound. It depends on the complexity of the soundprocessing of the blocks if it eats up more CPU. Is that right?

Great feature updates on the XL. Thanks Fractal team for the continued improvements. I appreciate it. Sounds like the XL could be the new primary and my existing Axe II could be the backup rig!
This for me too I just need to sell something or start saving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom