Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR - UPDATED 7/27/09

Re: Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR

electronpirate said:
jiagap said:
Well, I did say I was dreaming..... Ok, 39lbs and $550......

........dream on...

I think 50 watts is just a number for headroom. From what I read these are not needing to be run at '7' for them to sound their best. Cliff did mention that you could use this in a Stereo system (like the high end tube jobbies.) That means it adds warmth, punch, and a degree of fidelity to the signal without imposing it's own personality upon it.

While the other Atomic products might be designed around *kind* of a tube poweramp to your Pod or Tonelab, (thus, an 18 watter with cooking power tubes would be applicable), I think this is more to cleanly amplify what is already there...using tubes.

IMO.

R
Well said, Ron.

I assume that the powered version can run the passive version on the cab as a slave, right? Can it do so in stereo or is the built-in amp mono?

rickboot said:
I assume that the powered version can run the passive version on the cab as a slave, right? Can it do so in stereo or is the built-in amp mono?
Correct!

Oh boy, I'm glad I held off on buying a power amp or active FRFR setup!!! I'm so in!!!!

rickboot said:
I asked about the stereo thing in the amp show thread and was told it is still mono, just reinforcement.

scarr said:
rickboot said:
I asked about the stereo thing in the amp show thread and was told it is still mono, just reinforcement.
Thanks, that is correct. I forgot to answer the second part of the question. Good news is that stereo is sweet with 2! :lol:

jmpatrick said:
How about cabinet construction? Birch Ply...or?

It's made out of high density crackers with cheese in a can glue, so in the event that you forget to eat for a week while enjoying the awesomeness that is your Axe-FX/Atomic setup, you have an emergency food supply. :shock:

It's also helpful if your wife kicks you out because you spent over $3000 on gear, and ignored her for over a week. :lol:

j/k

Tom King said:
I thought I responded to this earlier but now I can't find the post. If this is a double, I apologize. The gist of what I wrote before was:

1. We used a tube power amp because after doing significant R&D is sounded better than any other option we had heard. This is NOT a statement about the Axe's cab simulation - stricly about good amplification.
2. The passive cabinets will be the same as the active without the power. So, "yes!" you can use them with whatever power solution that suites your needs.
3. Just because an amp is flat, doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to sound good (tube solid state, hybrid or otherwise). The Reactor FR sound more lively and present (read: in the room) to our ears that any of the many other options we tried.
Thanks for your response, Tom. Looks like I'll go with the powered version then. As long as biasing the tubes, and tube life, is good, and the volume control smoothly adds the dBs instead of jumping out at you like a lot of guitar amplifiers, it should be good.

GuitarNorton said:
External bias test points and adjust?

I'm going to guess, No.

The Atomic Reactor uses an internal bias adjustment for both tubes (6L6GC from the Slovakian manufacturer JJ). When tubes from other manufacturers are being used, a bias adjustment may be necessary to keep getting the maximum from you Atomic Reactor.

Its probably the same as the reactor.

Billy Blooze said:
Tom , What is your estimated date to start shipping out the Reactor FR to customers ?
Either earlier in this thread, or in the amp show thread, it was noted as 90-120 days. So, early 2009.

scarr said:
Billy Blooze said:
Tom , What is your estimated date to start shipping out the Reactor FR to customers ?
Either earlier in this thread, or in the amp show thread, it was noted as 90-120 days. So, early 2009.

Once again... :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom King said:
scarr said:
rickboot said:
Thanks, that is correct. I forgot to answer the second part of the question. Good news is that stereo is sweet with 2! :lol:

That's a bummer :cry:

Why not a stereo version (only if you connect the external cab) ?

voes said:
Why not a stereo version (only if you connect the external cab) ?

nobody will hear us !!!!!!!!!

- i "designed" for G66 2 Years ago !!!! an TOP with just 2 space for the AXE in the middle and two "Atomic-Powerkits left and right of that Top, looked like an Marshall, was stereo, you just go out with 2 XLR to the two cabs......the smaller version was an 2x12 Combo, one powered (stereo), one extension......

nobody heard me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tubes again?
What is the difference between full linear tube powered and full linear SS powered?

GuitarNorton said:
External bias test points and adjust?

Any in focus photos?
The bias test point and ajustment pot are easily accessible once the power section has been removed from the cabinet. The power section can be slid out after removing 4 screws. Bias should be checked and adjusted if necessary anytime the tubes are changed.

More pics coming in a few days.

@ Voes: Why build in, pay for and lug around two power stages if the cab only uses one, as do a great many guitarsists. I myself run stereo if I can but mostly mono. Just for arguments sake: would you ask the same of active studio monitors? Or wedges?

What I would like is if there were a version with a 2 space rack bay... And an internal power feed through... Of course only if the depth will take AN AXE-FX ULTRA. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Tom, how deep is the cab? Such a version one of those fun items in the works?

I really like that Head version DonGrosh! But the real charm of this new Atomic is in the cab! Full Range Flat Response! Now if they would make extension cabs in the shape of a 4x12...

Actually. I'm also one of those guys that like it quietly. My left ears distorts at normal band volumes. Something like Hyperacusis. I just ran my 20/20 pretty strong and my ear did it again. Although Jay Mitchell says it shouldn't make a difference, speakers that sound good loud should also sound good quietly, I just don't think my 4x12 Rectocab sounds good at low volume, even with a "small" amp driving it. I always thought the speakers need a bit of action to shake loose, low power just doesn't shake 'em.
How does the Atomic perform at low volumes? I guess the tweeter could be taking care of some of that.

And guys, be nice to Tom, I'd like him to stick around!
Tom, this is a forum, people speak their mind kinda freely and in this case, they're STOKED! Don't ignore it, but don't let them ruffle your feathers either. ;)

Back
Top Bottom