Animals As Leaders Rig Rundown

Is a $2,000 A/D converter really going to make THAT much of a difference in the Axe's tones? Something tells me no.... (sounds totally unnecessary)

Is a $2,000 A/D converter really going to make THAT much of a difference in the Axe's tones? Something tells me no.... (sounds totally unnecessary)

Totally agree, I think it's overrated.
The audience won't hear the difference, I wont even hear the difference, and my ears are pretty good.

Oh well, as long as he is happy I guess :)

I'd love to hear what Cliff has to say about it. Seems like even through they're up-sampling their digital conversions to 192k, the Axe-Fx is only running at 48k, so I'm not sure they're gaining anything. I got the chance to talk to Tosin about it as I saw him on the day they were integrating the converter into their rigs. He didn't comment on the math of it, but said you could "feel" a difference when using it, so whatever makes you feel better I guess...

Hmmm... I'd like to hear Cliff's opinion on this as well.... ("feeling" a difference via sample rate increase?)

if 0s and 1s aren't there to begin with, you can't modify them with any other piece of gear.

Thats why they use more than one additional device. If I see this right in the video they're using a Mytek Digital Stereo 192 DSD DAC and a Digital Stereo 96 ADC. So what they do, if i see this right, is an additional DA-AD step. I'm just not sure what they do with that 96 kHz signal then and if the changes are dramatic, but as CodePoet said before: "whatever makes you feel better I guess". ;)

Just my 0.02

Last edited:
Thats why they use more than one additional device. If I see this right in the video they're using a Mytek Digital Stereo 192 DSD DAC and a Digital Stereo 96 ADC. So what they do, if i see this right, is an additional DA-AD step. I'm just not sure what they do with that 96 kHz signal then and if the changes are dramatic, but as CodePoet said before: "whatever makes you feel better I guess". ;)

Just my 0.02

I don't think so. Tosin said he's got his Axefx (AES) out into the Digital to Analog converter. Why he has an Analog to Digital convertor in his rack (and also powered on) is beyond me. (guitar to A/D to Axefx to D/A to power amp, maybe?) bizarre....

I don't think so. Tosin said he's got his Axefx (AES) out into the Digital to Analog converter. Why he has an Analog to Digital convertor in his rack (and also powered on) is beyond me. (guitar to A/D to Axefx to D/A to power amp, maybe?) bizarre....

Yeah, same here. I'm for sure no expert on this and I hope someone here can explain to us what is going on there. ;) . I don't know why it's in there, I just saw it. And if he is really only using the DAC, then the display of this devices shows 48kHz in the display which would fit the output of the AxeFx and so no upsampling would take place, right?

Btw. the guitar cable goes straight into the AxeFx and not in the ADC? Another thing, in Javiers rig there's the ADC too, but turned off, so perhaps it's not used live?

And if he is really only using the DAC, then the display of this devices shows 48kHz in the display which would fit the output of the AxeFx and so no upsampling would take place, right?

The 48k reading probably refers to the output of the Axe-Fx going into the Mytek.

Either this is a brilliant move that has escaped us all here, or Tosin and Javier really have no idea what they are doing.

Tosin and his pal are amazing. But, am I the only one wh don't like the clean sound of 8 strings ? Due to the scale length, I found that on the "normal" guitar range (the top six strings), it doesn't sound like a guitar anymore. Or is it because these players uses very specific, overcompressed, clean settings ?

Back
Top Bottom