Angle Severe Settings to Replicate "Smooth" Mode

Hey Everyone,

I owned a Savage 120 for many years and it was, bar none, the greatest high gainer that I've played. I had never really gelled with the Axe version of it until this last patch. Now, it is easily my favorite amp in the box, and sounds exactly like the real thing.

The only issue, though, is that they've only modeled the "Rough" mode of the amp, which is the more aggressive rhythm tone. The amp also has a "Smooth" mode where it dials back some of the fizz and gives you an incredibly liquid-sounding lead tone.

Has anyone tried to replicate this function in the Axe? Any suggestions on maybe an EQ or a Filter to try to coax those sounds out of it?

Maybe you could wish list it since Cliff presumably has an amp and schematic from which the Rough mode model was implemented. That would make it a fairly practical request. Or maybe it just involves a few deep parameter tweaks.

Maybe you could wish list it since Cliff presumably has an amp and schematic from which the Rough mode model was implemented. That would make it a fairly practical request. Or maybe it just involves a few deep parameter tweaks.

I'm hoping that it's just a parameter tweak. I started a thread like this about the "Mid Cut" function on the Diezel Herbert, another favorite amp of mine in the real world, and eventually Cliff chimed in with general settings for a Peak EQ filter to put between the amp and cab blocks that replicated the tone perfectly. I'm hoping someone has a similar suggestion.

Also, I've added this to the Wish List forum. Thanks for the suggestion.

Could someone share a representative clip of this mode, or ideally an A/B of the two modes?

Unfortunately, I don't physically own the amp anymore. Otherwise, I would. There are plenty of YouTube reviews and such of the amp, though, that though the feature switching on and off. I'll dig up a few and post after work.

The schematic I saw online does not show which switch is the smooth/rough but if I had to guess I would try reducing the triode frequency and or boosting the mids

I use Angle Severe in my AX8 as my main amp too,

For rthym I scoop out some mids with a parametric EQ and use Uber T75+V30 as cab.

For lead I use a tube drive with very low drive setting and high cut around 4K in front of the amp. After the amp I use parametric EQ to cut off fizzy high frequencies and add a little midrange. I also use different cab for lead: 4x12 Recto 4047 E

This is my workaround, and it works. :)

Back
Top Bottom