Andy Wood tackling EVH tones with his AFIII

And of course, I wrote it wrong. It would be a mistake to run the delay blocks in SERIES :)

But in the end, it comes out of only two speakers (PA or stereo speakers), so the channels will be mixed at some point.

What a great, informative video! Super chuffed with this, been playing around with it for a couple of hours now! Thanks Mr Wood (and of course Ian for sharing)!

Now need to check why my YT subscription didn't tell me about this!

You can do the delay with a single delay block using the Dual Delay and panning the two voices hard left and hard right respectively.

Agreed. I’ve been doing that since the Ultra days. I ran a true w/d/w rig with three 4x12s live for many years, with the Lexicons and Eventide H3000s, you need a dedicated dry cab to feel it during performance IMO. Of course most places were in mono back then so it was strictly for my amusement.

Not quite, since the input to delay 2 includes some of delay 1 mixed in. May or may not be significant and/or better/worse.

Turning up the Feedback L>R or Feedback R<L parameter accomplishes this with the dual delay. For the exact value (to match what you have no control over with the series routing) use 2(blockmix%)(LevelL) for that feedback value. That's for L as "first" delay and assumes mix is under 50%.

I made the preset according to the video. I did swap out the cab because I found it hard to hear individual strings. Also, the delay works great, but it blurs sthing up when pumping a faster riff. I connected the mix to a pitch modifier. Works much better.
I thought about posting it, but I do not want to take away some views from him.

Harm

If I could only listen to one guitar player for the rest of my life I'd pick Andy.

Great guitarist and a great tip for many guitar sounds. Fairly simple preset, he should've just posted it in axe-change instead of trying to sell it. I mean, you can basically copy it from the video anyway. And you don't need to use 2 delay blocks. Just use the dual delay and pan L/R like this (main tempo is set at 120BPM):

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 6.09.53 PM.png

Great guitarist and a great tip for many guitar sounds. Fairly simple preset, he should've just posted it in axe-change instead of trying to sell it. I mean, you can basically copy it from the video anyway. And you don't need to use 2 delay blocks. Just use the dual delay and pan L/R like this (main tempo is set at 120BPM):

View attachment 77269

He was selling it? Weird because he really walks you through and shows and explains every parameter. I figured he makes money through youtube so that is why I didn’t post the preset here. Every view counts, right?
You showed the settings on the dual delay. Thank you for that. Are you suggesting to use these settings for this preset or did you just show it to make a point about the dual delay?

... I do not want to take away some views from him.

I doubt that'd be an issue
He was selling it? Weird because he really walks you through and shows and explains every parameter. I figured he makes money through youtube so that is why I didn’t post the preset here. Every view counts, right?
You showed the settings on the dual delay. Thank you for that. Are you suggesting to use these settings for this preset or did you just show it to make a point about the dual delay?
You can use it for Andy's preset, Eddie type stuff or any preset where you want the wet/dry/wet setup. Just thought I'd offer it up as it only requires 1 delay block and does the same thing Andy is showing using 2 blocks

While delays in parallel may be the "correct" way to get a W/D/W, all one needs to do is watch and understand the point of the video; to create Eddie's W/D/W sounding tone. Andy even mentioned that he tried the delays in parallel and it didn't sound right. It seems some people just can't help themselves.

yes, it sounds great either way, because there's absolutely no sonic difference between the two, apart from there may be slightly less dry signal when everything is in series. this whole "wet / dry / wet" thing is proper bs, imo when you're just doing it in stereo

Unless you have 3 monitor speakers, it does sound kinda useless IMHO .... When I'm going Stereo, I prefer the VH I approach. 90% Dry Guitar on the left and 90% Wet Guitar on the right ! Volume balance gets kinda 'wonky' ..., but I much prefer the sound !

Anybody ever purchase one of his presets? I bought one as a mixture of “nice to have” and “thanks for the EvH”. I didn’t get a download straight away after paying. It is called an “order” so maybe he manually mails them later. Nothing is mentioned on his site. Anyone know his method?

Harm

Back
Top Bottom