Andy Timmons?

Here's a test of my AT patch, which is a modified version of a patch I think I found either on the forum or on AxeChange (I can't remember, but the original author named it Angie Tiggons). I think this sounds pretty close. I'm using a Suhr S Classic Antique with an SSV humbucker in the bridge. A little pitchy on the bends, but this was just quick and dirty.

Here's the patch: View attachment Angie Tiggons.syx

Here's a test of my AT patch, which is a modified version of a patch I think I found either on the forum or on AxeChange (I can't remember, but the original author named it Angie Tiggons). I think this sounds pretty close. I'm using a Suhr S Classic Antique with an SSV humbucker in the bridge. A little pitchy on the bends, but this was just quick and dirty.

Here's the patch: View attachment 26883

Well, that was me:D

here's some samples I did back then.

I'll search for the patches but they are based on FW 16 and cab pack 7.

Last edited:
I just wanted to confirm on the TX Star Lead ....

Input Drive = DRIVE
Overdrive = GAIN

I only ask because as I read the MESA LoneStar manual I could make a case that it's the opposite ?

THANKS !

Last edited:
sounds good. are you posting it on the axe-change?

So, it took a little bit longer for me to put this on AxeChange. :) Here is the link: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Andy Timmons Again 7/7 - by 5150

I discovered when I got home Sunday evening, that I had turned off my AxeFX before saving my final changes. I basically started over from scratch last night and finished up today. I wanted to build a preset that used a factory cab so that anyone could try it out. This preset is kinda close, but it's not perfect, and I'm tired of tweaking it. :) Perhaps it will get folks a little closer. If it helps, that's cool.

Scene 1: basically, my tweaks, which included lower amp gain settings, and EQ tweaked by ear to get close to the sound in the YouTube videos that I've linked below. To achieve the level of gain in the vids, I put a BB preamp model in front of the amp to goose it a little bit.

Scene 2: these settings are pulled from this video where you can see Andy's settings on his Lonestar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUwtCExJ_Lc). This tone, to me, was a little tubby/flabby. (I mean, it was tubby when recreated in my AxeFX, in my little studio -- it does not sound tubby in his video). This scene includes a parametric EQ to try to tame some of that low end -- I felt there was a build up of low end that wasn't easily cut in the amp or cab blocks. This may differ considerably for others, depending on guitar used and listening environment, so adjust or remove this EQ to taste. This version of the tone also has more mid-range noise/artifacts that don't sound pleasing to me. Oh well. I was trying to use settings as close to those documented in that video as possible.

Both scenes have a three band console EQ up front, with the mids boosted to try to make up for the difference in Andy's guitar/pups and mine. I used my Les Paul for this, and the sound of my Lester is a little more rock-scooped, whereas I hear more "awwww" mid-range in Andy's tone. Switch this eq in/out to see if it gets you closer to Andy's tone or not.

Videos --

Andy Timmons discussing his tone (first video has good sound sample starting at 8:26. Second vid shows up close settings on the Lonestar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3h5jOb6dw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUwtCExJ_Lc

My lame attempt to copy Andy's tone --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGPtQ7DBBMM

Does anyone have a good Andy Timmons patch, or could help me get close to a particular sound? http://youtu.be/BRY-n83J0F8 Like in this video. He's always had such a beautiful tone, he lives in my town and I've seen him a few times, but I'm not gonna bother the man with questions about tone lol. I just really like his slightly dirty/clean sound in this clip with they delays he's got going on. If you anyone knows how to duplicate the delays he's using please share the info or patch.

AT is pretty much my target tone for all things bluesy/rock. I also like the BB drive block into the Lonestar with just a touch of verb (usually one of the plates) and washy but subdued tape delay. Mixing the silver & blue 212 IRs is a good place to start for AT tone too.

EDIT: @5150: That's a really good start. I think I hear a bit more presence in AT's clip, and maybe a touch less low mids... could be the kinda' thing accounted for by different guitars/pups/etc.

AT is pretty much my target tone for all things bluesy/rock. I also like the BB drive block into the Lonestar with just a touch of verb (usually one of the plates) and washy but subdued tape delay. Mixing the silver & blue 212 IRs is a good place to start for AT tone too.

EDIT: @5150: That's a really good start. I think I hear a bit more presence in AT's clip, and maybe a touch less low mids... could be the kinda' thing accounted for by different guitars/pups/etc.

Thank you. My little project studio in my house is a pretty bright and reflective environment. I struggle all the time with the low-end in my presets, and my mixes, because of the room. I have no doubt that the low end in that patch I created is going to be off for some folks, and will require some tweaking.

This tone is a little unusual for me, so it's been fun trying to tweak it, if only because it's not what I would normally shoot for. The bass on his sound is looser, and the mids seem to be shifted a little lower, giving his tone that great girth and thickness that I hear. He gets that singing violin thing where it sounds like the overtones stack up on each other, and it's very woody, yet singing and liquid at the same time. Very cool. My preset is missing some of that vibe, but I don't know how to get that just yet.

Unless there's a Woody/Singing/Liquid knob buried in Axe-Edit that I haven't found yet. :-D

I think your assessment of AT tone is spot on. That loose bass is pretty common of the 100W LSC in general. AT really makes it work in his favor. I think that's where the presence comes in maybe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What do you know about it ? All I can find is that it's based off the Marshall G'vnor ....

Last video I saw he was using the Lonestars clean ch with a JHS angry Charlie for all lead tones. I own one it's killer.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/100320-jhs-angry-charlie-pedal.html#post1203720

Angry Charlie is a clone of the Crunch Box as is the Suhr Riot. use the Rukus pedal in the Axefx

I did several AT patches matching the tones from Resolution but that was back around FW6-9, so they are outdated but probably still sound very close to his recorded tones. Most of the magic is in his touch and use of the guitar volume knob to control the gain/tone and give better dynamics.

Yes, that's why I used the Ruckus in my try.
Like the Charlie it emulates a cranked Marshall-type amp, meant to be played through a clean amp.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/100320-jhs-angry-charlie-pedal.html#post1203720

Angry Charlie is a clone of the Crunch Box as is the Suhr Riot. use the Rukus pedal in the Axefx

I did several AT patches matching the tones from Resolution but that was back around FW6-9, so they are outdated but probably still sound very close to his recorded tones. Most of the magic is in his touch and use of the guitar volume knob to control the gain/tone and give better dynamics.
This is particularly interesting, since there's a definite difference between the clip OP linked to and "traditional" AT tone (i.e., electric gypsy tone).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bumping this to the end of the thread, I think it got overlooked :)

I'm just looking to confirm on the TX Star Lead ....

Input Drive = DRIVE
Overdrive = GAIN

I only ask because as I read the MESA LoneStar manual I could make a case that it's the opposite ?

THANKS !

I know this an old thread, but I just discovered Andy Timmons... no excuse for that so I won't make one. As a result, I have all his music, and his playing is so tasteful, and his tone always perfect, and the genres of rock, blues, and jazz are my areas of interest. I obtained the Fremen pack that has a preset named after him with the LoneStar and various overdrives along with a great clean sound. I have a FM3, so I am going to post there, I just wanted to thank you all for posting your insights, as I am finding it now.

Back
Top Bottom