Andy Timmons: tone match request

Simeon based on your violin pre set I am anxious to hear your Timmons pre set. With zero questions about how to do it all my attempts were pathetic.

Well don't get your hopes up too high... My amp tones are usually pretty average. I'll get on it asap.

ok, here we go. really just based on his amp settings. his lead tone may be slightly thicker, but just lower the treble a bit, i reckon

i have attached no external modifiers in this patch at all, so you'll need to attach some to ...

1) turn the bbe on and off
2) turn the delays on and off
3) switch amps
4) use the volume block

you could copy the parameters of the duplicated blocks and paste them into the Y slots of the amp, reverb and cab blocks if you use X/Y switching, otherwise just use an ia switch tied to the bypass modes of both amp blocks, but set them up so they're inverse to each other (when one block is on, the other is off and vice versa). or you could even place a volume block in front of each amp and use a cc pedal tied to both (inversely) to crossfade between the amps

it may not be 100%, but it sounds good to me and i'd be happy to use this on a gig.

the clean channel is on the edge of breakup, so to get really clean, back off your guitar's volume control a little bit, just like he does

(btw - the volume levels of the two amps may need matching slightly)

yep, just listened at a bit more volume - lower the level of the clean amp by a couple of db's and also lower the depth of the modulation on the delay to about 25%. otherwise sounds ok, i think. you might want to delete one of the spring reverbs and move the other one to the end of the chain...up to you which sound you prefer.

cheers

sim

OK
So get more gain I turn up the drive in the amp? The settings in the TS808 don`t respond
It sound like this can be used for both Timmons "clean/breakup" tone and the more heavy ones. He uses a Stiletto for move overdriven tones?
It really sounds great! And I play it with a AT-300!

OK
So get more gain I turn up the drive in the amp? The settings in the TS808 don`t respond
It sound like this can be used for both Timmons "clean/breakup" tone and the more heavy ones. He uses a Stiletto for move overdriven tones?
It really sounds great! And I play it with a AT-300!

ok, you're weirding me out now. there's no TS808 in the patch. there are two amps in the patch (one for clean, one for lead). the lead amp on it's own isn't hugely gainy, but bypass the BB pre and there should be plenty. upping the gain in the BB pre will affect how it hits both amps, but i found that raising the gain in the lead amp made it sound mushy. based on the video i linked to, the gain levels in the patch are about right.

anybody else tried the patch? there seemed to be some interest, but not much feedback?

i can handle it if you don't think it's very good...really...it's not a problem! ;)

OK sorry BB preamp of course.
But how do I "but bypass the BB pre ". In the edit mode of the BB preamp? The clean which I tested so far is great!

OK, did it in Axe Edit now. It sounds great. Maybe the best patch I got now.
It`s also great to use the volume know for gain. Thanks

Last edited:
you don't know how to bypass an effect?

hit "layout" on the front panel
use the nav arrows to place the black block on the bb pre
hit the "fx byp" button

to switch amps, do the same, but turn off the clean amp and turn on the lead amp (the one underneath it in the layout)

the bb pre can be used with either amp

now please go and read the manual

I love this patch, thanks for sharing!!
You got those 2 amp tones very good there. Not maybe 100% the same, but that Timmons character is there for sure.
Maybe this patch with some TM will get us there... but it doesn´t give us Andys magic fingers :)
Thanks again!

Hi Simeon, great work, both tones sounds like the stuff i´m looking for. The Lone star is one of my favorite amps and you got it in one patch, thanx!

Back
Top Bottom