Andy Timmons - That Pedal Show

TPS has been must see viewing for me every week for a few years now. They know their shit when
it comes to an old-school pedal/amp setup. They know their guitars. And they seem to have stayed
relatively humble. Also they stay in their lane without trying to be everything-to-everyone know-it-alls.

Respect! :)

All his tones are great, but the octave fuzz starting here is mystery to me, I've never gotten very close to that sound.
I've never tried octave before a fuzz, like he does there, will give that a shot when I get a chance.
Winterland is an overall great song too.

Just my notes from the video with timestamps for convenience. Definitely want to take the time to recreate these tones in the III.

Attachments

• Andy Timmons Visits TPS -my notes.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Spent some time yesterday trying to recreate parts of his sound, that delay is awesome. Got pretty close with the dual delay, quarter notes and dotted eights at 120 bpm, L and R feeding into each other. No idea on where to start with the modulation though, other than nick the Deluxe Memory Man settings.

Also I finally got to test my BB Preamp against the Drive model, and it's virtually identical. So if anyone wants to buy a BB Preamp...

Watching this video with Andy Timmons on That Pedal Show. At one point Andy's playing is so emotive that Dan literally walks off camera as he's overtaken by emotion.

That particular piece is very easy to play (I just learned to play it), just a repeated figure. Not unlike The Prayer - The Answer, or classical pieces.
It's all about the emotion you put in.

All his tones are great, but the octave fuzz starting here is mystery to me, I've never gotten very close to that sound.
I've never tried octave before a fuzz, like he does there, will give that a shot when I get a chance.
Winterland is an overall great song too.
Octafuzz is it's own stand alone effect, not two different ones stacked. Also called Octavio, Octavia etc. We have a drive model of one in the Axe.

Octafuzz is it's own stand alone effect, not two different ones stacked. Also called Octavio, Octavia etc. We have a drive model of one in the Axe.
I know we've got one, and I've messed with it, but I never got the tones AT gets on Winterland.

Did you watch the video? Don't know about the recorded version, but live on TPS he ran it into his signature @T fuzz, and it sounded just like the record.

I know we've got one, and I've messed with it, but I never got the tones AT gets on Winterland.

Did you watch the video? Don't know about the recorded version, but live on TPS he ran it into his signature @T fuzz, and it sounded just like the record.

Getting the right sound from an Octavia usually requires this:

• neck pickup
  • roll down tone
  • play around 12th fret or higher

I watched parts of it (I'm quite familiar with his setup already), the GNI part I watched. His signature overdrive is not a fuzz though, but I get what you meant.

What are you missing with the octafuzz in the Axe? Using the advanced parameters and the EQ, you can tailor it to your liking. I normal turn up the low end a bit, since they can be quite thin sounding if you don't turn down the tone control on the guitar (which is normally how you run those things).

The @T pedal is not a fuzz, it’s an overdrive. Don’t set drive too high on the Octavia and run it into an overdriven amp, or into an overdrive model.

Back
Top Bottom