Andy Summers

Sixstring

Legend!
I've been on an Andy Summers trip lately (Police era) I so love time trip'n. All the cool chords and lack of gain he used is a refreshing change and the effects are fun to try to nail down with the Axe.

Yeah - I was so into the Police growing up. Andy's really different and great. My singer and I were playing around with "Murder By Numbers" a while back - cool chords there.

I have a copy of I Advance Masked on vinyl somewhere.

I've previously posted about how the 80s was the decade when guitarists MATTERED. Here's more proof - Summers and Fripp release an album of instrumental, experimental guitar music, and the record company pays to shoot a video.

I never even knew Summers and Fripp did an album together. I just checked out a couple snippets on iTunes, what I heard was pretty awesome. Glad I've started reading here more often lately!

I never even knew Summers and Fripp did an album together. I just checked out a couple snippets on iTunes, what I heard was pretty awesome. Glad I've started reading here more often lately!

They did at least two that I know of - I Advance Masked and Bewitched. (There may be more.)

The Summers and Fripp stuff is different but I like the Police stuff better. Andys approach with the Police material is more cohesive.

I remember Copeland talking about auditioning guitar players for The Police. Most knew three chords, Summers knew thousands... but also knew which three of those thousands to use and when ;)

I remember Copeland talking about auditioning guitar players for The Police. Most knew three chords, Summers knew thousands... but also knew which three of those thousands to use and when ;)

VH1's behind the music is a great documentary on this. Summers was basically the final ingredient the Police needed to take the group out of the punk bars and into the stadiums.

VH1's behind the music is a great documentary on this. Summers was basically the final ingredient the Police needed to take the group out of the punk bars and into the stadiums.

I couldn't agree more. Sting is a fantastic songwriter certainly, but imagine the "De Do Do Do" song without that guitar part - it would be pretty bland.

I couldn't agree more. Sting is a fantastic songwriter certainly, but imagine the "De Do Do Do" song without that guitar part - it would be pretty bland.

Yep... after watching the documentary I just couldn't get my head around the fact that Copeland and Sting just couldn't live with each other. With all the talent and quality of music I guess there wasn't any room for getting along.

I've been on an Andy Summers trip lately (Police era) I so love time trip'n. All the cool chords and lack of gain he used is a refreshing change and the effects are fun to try to nail down with the Axe.

I love The Police, I was into them bigtime when they first became popular with us new wave / punk guys.
i think that "Walking on the Moon" would be very informative and fun to learn to play, thanks!

Yeah - I was so into the Police growing up. Andy's really different and great. My singer and I were playing around with "Murder By Numbers" a while back - cool chords there.

Nice. You're probably already aware, but Sting did a live version of MBN with FZ, I've got it around here somewhere.
Also, Stuart Copeland did the music for Spyro the Dragon (video game), I still play it because I like the music....

Nice. You're probably already aware, but Sting did a live version of MBN with FZ, I've got it around here somewhere.
Also, Stuart Copeland did the music for Spyro the Dragon (video game), I still play it because I like the music....

I've heard the FZ version. I was also into Stewart's Rhythmatist album. He had some other cool stuff too, like the Equalizer TV show soundtrack. Not to mention his Klark Kent album...

I love The Police, I was into them bigtime when they first became popular with us new wave / punk guys.
i think that "Walking on the Moon" would be very informative and fun to learn to play, thanks!

I have already nailed this one down and yes it is a cool tune to play. The chord shapes make a great exercise for warm ups ;)

Back
Top Bottom