Andy Summers Bozo Review

shadoe

Experienced
I was reading this interview today and Andy Summers almost goes off on the interviewer for asking mundane questions. Anyway, here it is:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25745-andy-summers-not-another-classic-bozo-interview

I've never been a huge fan of the police. However, I've always respected and admired Summers' playing.

Furthermore, it reminds me (who is always guilty of wanting more gear) to concentrate on the music, first and foremost.

What are your thoughts on the interview?

I think the interview is awesome. I think he had every right to be annoyed. Too many people today are concerned with repercussions that they don't really say what they want to.

Well. I understand where Andy is coming from. A painter doesn't want to talk about the paint but the picture. However, the greatest artists know the importance of the tools they're using. Denying their importance is arrogant just as overemphasizing it would be stupid.

This is assuming we know the pre-text of the conversation. If they asked Summers to do an interview about the gear he used on his new album, then, that line of questioning would be warranted. However, if they only asked him to do an interview about his new album, I would definitely understand where he is coming from.

This is assuming we know the pre-text of the conversation. If they asked Summers to do an interview about the gear he used on his new album, then, that line of questioning would be warranted. However, if they only asked him to do an interview about his new album, I would definitely understand where he is coming from.

I could understand if there was an agreement to talk about the music only but his reaction doesn't look to me like this was the case. Otherwise I would have expected a more or less friendly reminder of what has been agreed to.

I like how he took a stand there. Its funny how after he got annoyed his answer to the next question was along the lines of 'I do stuff with pedals'. And then when the interviewer asked about the process he uses with them he became annoyed again.

So am I wrong to guess that next time when Andy tours, Premier Guitar will not be looking to do a Rig Rundown with him?

I could understand him exploding if someone asked him a question regarding why did XYZ not perform as well on the charts as Dream of the Blue Turtles (I mean that's a setup for verbal sparring).

The reaction about strings though seems a little hard boiled, unless 3 interviewers asked him about his strings within a short amount of time. One thing that I have learned over the years is the context of the interview is not always conveyed in the finished article.

Its sad that he got upset about gear questions. Maybe he was having a bad day?

It's not an insult when you are at his level and fame to be asked about your gear. It's not a sign of disinterest in the music.

I think Andy Summers is kind of a dick. I have read other interviews with him where he seemed elitist and arrogant.

A response such as " I'd prefer to talk about more substantive subjects than strings, and I think your readers would appreciate it as well " would have been more gentlemanly. His response, IMO, makes him look like a major dick. You can steer the line of questioning without calling it "insulting". Anyone this quick to take offense has personality issues.

I can't imagine be so far up my own ass that i couldn't even answer a simple question like that without being offended. Be happy someone still wants to talk to you. Regardless of level, being a dick is being a dick.

I love Andy for both the Police work and his various solo projects, including this last album. That being said, he was a bit over the top there. I can understand the frustration with questions about strings and the like, but at least be courteous. The interviewer did go on to more detailed questions about the music. I'm sure Andy is financially fine and is doing this stuff out of love for music, but don't piss on the people that are helping expose your music to a larger audience.

Ya that was a dick move on his part. Just answer the damn questions. Not hard and be glad someone cares when your glory days are 30 years ago!

Back
Top Bottom