Andrew Hunt and Matrix FR10/FR12

jiagap

Inspired
I called Matrix Amplification customer service today and Andrew Hunt answered the phone. We had a long delightful and frank conversation. A transplanted Englishman stopping in California long enough to understand that ain't home baby! and now in Idaho, the land of the free and brave!

Anyway, I had called him to ask a few questions about the FR-12. In the conversation he actually recommended his amp with a passive cab as the best option. I told him I was in love with the powered cab idea so as to not have one more thing to move around when I have to move stuff around. He understood. He still contended his powered FR10 and FR12 are great items, but did mention a low level "hiss" caused by the DSP in those models.

So, my question to any FR10 or FR12 users, do you notice the hiss playing quietly in your bedroom or studio and is it a problem? 80% or more of my playing will be in my small studio not out live where a little hiss would not matter. Any and all FR10/12 comments welcome.

If you ever get a chance to chat with Andy, he is a hoot, a bit colorful in language, but a very straight shooter who understands free market capitalism without the greed. He spoke very highly of Mick cuz I had asked about why Mick no longer uses Matrix amps in the Xitone products. And he spoke even higher of Cliff who he said was an engineer and designer like himself and not sold out to Guitar Center and money only kind of people. Loved the unexpected opportunity to chat with him when I was just calling customer service to ask a couple questions.

I don't have a matrix solution but I do have a CLR and a Seismic SAX. Both are powered and have a hiss when powered on, the Seismic is a tad noisier with slight hum. I wouldn't call it bothersome at low levels and I'm talking about hearing the strings over what's being amplified.

Unless your obsessed with dead silence from your speakers when your not playing, I realize some do! I can't imagine it being that big of an issue.

Have used a FR12 for a while now. I dont hear any more hiss than my Friedman ASM, which i believe has an unnatural amount of his. If you currently have a poweramp, then i agree with Andrew on just getting the passive. Its lighter, and eliminates something from creating noise.

Noise levels when not playing with the ones I've tried recently:

Yamaha DXR 10 (has a fan) > Matrix FR10 > Friedman ASM > CLR

The CLR is the only one that's not really noticeable when it's just turned on. The ASM has a fairly large initial hiss but then goes quiet (I can leave it on and work on other things without it annoying me). The FR10 is noticeable in a quiet room (has a high-pitched hiss) but less so than the DXR10 that has a fan. My office is very quiet though (when I want it to be). If you had a PC with a fan, you may not notice any of them.

I have 2 FR12s
Yes the hiss is noticeable if you turn the FR12 volume control up high
Although if you keep it lower and boost the output from your AxeFX then it's easy to manage at low volumes
Obviously heavier than the passives but still a one handed lift

I had an FR10 and didn't notice any hiss. I'd set it at about 4 and use the AX8 level control to get the volume I wanted. I moved to a Xitone wedge but I must say I miss that FR10. It really sounded excellent and I could carry it with 2 fingers.

So what do you folks who've tried/used the Fr10/FR12 find them tone wise?
I have a Friedman ASM and a Laney IRT and I'm looking for something in between

The Laney is easy to carry about but usually disappoints me tone wise, whereas the ASM sounds really good but can be a pain to lug about, so the Matrix powered cabs are top of my list for something between the units I've got

Back
Top Bottom