And Your Bird Can Sing?

WITELITE

Experienced
Was surprised there was not a thread on this one and our 3 piece is about to give it a shot. There was a Beatles tribute band (1964) where the George guitar player used to play both parts but I figured this could be more easily replicated with the Axe and the pitch shifter. I'm sure I can get pretty close for the main riff (in E) but then there is that descending part in G#m.

Anyone tried this? Scenes to do the other part? Curious before I give it a go.

MM

Thanks Bakerman for the ideas. Here's my attempt. I used two custom scales (one for the opening riff and one for the descending riff in G#) on one block controlled by a expression pedal. With the toe down, the volume for the first pitch shift is at 100 and the second one at 0 and with the heel down, the second is at 100 and the first at 0.

I also used a second expression pedal to turn the pitch shifter on and off. (Toe is on and heel is off). This helps for the last note of the main riff (E) which has a different harmony.

There may be other ways to do it and still trying to simplify. (And a little heavier then the Beatles would be :))

Last edited:
Awesome indeed!

Thanks guys.

Here's the preset. Uses expression pedal 2 to switch between custom scale 5 (E) and 6 (G#m) and expression pedal 3 to turn on pitch (Toe) and off (Heel)

Custom Scales are

5 (Key of E)

A (-3)
A# 0
B (-3)
C 0
C# (-4)
D 0
D# (-4)
E (-3)
F 0
F# (-3)
G 0
G# (-4)

6 (Key of G#m)

A 0
A# 0
B (-3)
C 0
C# (-3)
D 0
D# (-4)
E 0
F (-4)
F# (-3)
G (-4)
G# (-5)

Hope I did this right. Any suggestions to simplify welcome.

Attachments

• And Your Bird.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 28
Question when playing this song using this feature do you just play single notes or still harmonize the chords
and the axe covers the rest but for both strings at once ?

I kind of use the scotty anderson method pick and one finger extra to grab two notes at once to get this effect without any tricks..
Curious if now all one needs to do is play single notes and it doubles things accordingly.

Side story Joe Walsh met Harrison and said hey is this right and played it in front of George and Harrison said yea but I never played it like that...
Walsh said ?? and Harrison told him he was trying to fake chet atkins type runs but did not have a clue so they just recorded single line parts and doubled them up
in the mix and Harrison never actually played those together at one time...

Walsh had figured it all out and could play it on the spot...
:O

I love this song and always will...
thanks for your valiant effort here this sounds amazing.

another side story I remember watching my middle brother go to the Beatles in ft worth Texas
I was too young to go in and cried and cried and raised hell about it in the front seat of Dads car.

Dad laughed the whole way about it because I was like 3 or 4 years old just balling cause I could not go in.
Missed Hendrix too but me bitter ?

Question when playing this song using this feature do you just play single notes or still harmonize the chords

For intelligent harmony to work as intended you pretty much have to stick to single notes or octaves. Or power chords, which usually get detected/shifted as if you were just playing the root note.

If you're wondering about the E-F#m-B measures in Witelite's clip, there's no pitch shift there, just holding a chord & playing all the notes heard.

Thanks for the patch, sound amazing!!!
One question: for custom scales, have i to configure it on the 5/6 slot of custom scales?
Thanks again
Cello

Thanks for the patch, sound amazing!!!
One question: for custom scales, have i to configure it on the 5/6 slot of custom scales?
Thanks again
Cello

I used 5 and 6 only because 1-4 were taken on my Axe. You can figure them wherever and just have to adjust the pitch shift block to tell it where they are.

And Bakerman is right on the other part (Thanks for getting me started on this by the way). I just found it easier to do that than more pedalboard gymnastics!

MM

I kind of use the scotty anderson method pick and one finger extra to grab two notes at once to get this effect without any tricks..
Curious if now all one needs to do is play single notes and it doubles things accordingly.

Side story Joe Walsh met Harrison and said hey is this right and played it in front of George and Harrison said yea but I never played it like that...
Walsh said ?? and Harrison told him he was trying to fake chet atkins type runs but did not have a clue so they just recorded single line parts and doubled them up
in the mix and Harrison never actually played those together at one time...

Walsh had figured it all out and could play it on the spot...
:O

I love this song and always will...
thanks for your valiant effort here this sounds amazing.

another side story I remember watching my middle brother go to the Beatles in ft worth Texas
I was too young to go in and cried and cried and raised hell about it in the front seat of Dads car.

Dad laughed the whole way about it because I was like 3 or 4 years old just balling cause I could not go in.
Missed Hendrix too but me bitter ?

Cool story. Never saw either (but have seen Joe Walsh and McCartney a number of times :))

Back
Top Bottom