And you thought the Oscars were boring!!!

I do. My wife works in film. I don't bump elbows with A-list actors, but I've at least spoken to a decent number when there were no cameras or press around. And, no, I'm not telling any stories. FWIW, crew parties are more fun than cast parties. No, Will Smith is not one of the ones I've met (I think I'm 2 degrees away...I'd have to look at his credits to be sure).

There are drastic differences between people, just like everywhere. For some reason, we see a lot of the super-famous people acting like idiots, probably just because it sells ad space. And because a lot of people end up having parasocial relationships with the characters these celebrities play either in roles or in the media. Will Smith having such a wholesome image for so long, then having a shit show of a marriage, then this....a lot of people feel personally betrayed. A lot of others are going to excuse it because the parasocial relationship is worth more to them, just like you're more likely to make excuses for a friend than a stranger...up to a point.

I'm not really a fan of condemning people for their worst moment. Sometimes, it's egregious enough that it's justified (like Alec Baldwin). I'm not convinced this is one of those cases....he's had a hard life at different points and a hard few years. It's understandable but not excusable, especially in context. I don't think this one action makes him an "irrational scumbag". But, whether or not he deserves any respect will depend on how he deals with it and the issues that caused it. And, I'm not sure that the real story is ever going to go public.

I do think it's funny that this is the one story from the Oscars that it seems like everyone is focusing on.

Not most of the room proving that they're uninformed and illiterate.

Not the obvious displays of double-standards with regard to sexual objectification of people.

Not, or at least less so, the big picture cultural significance of these being the worst-watched Oscars in decades when adjusted for population size.

Not the fact that the winner of Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Adapted screenplay grossed about 10% of it's budget.

Not that the movie that the Best Actress winner was in grossed about 1% of its budget.

Heck, even the movie Will Smith won for only grossed 80% of its budget.

Money isn't everything where art is concerned. But, the biggest story of the night is that the Academy is totally and completely out of touch with American culture.

I haven't watched the Oscars in years.

I did see that one clip from the other night where Regina Hall patted down Mamoa and Brolin. Imagine a male actor doing that to two female actors? Yeah, I guess the whole #metoo thing is really out of the window now. It's downright sickening. Sorry. But that whole culture is obtuse and revolting.

gxSlRxY.png

Yes, seriously. People need to get over themselves. Especially entitled, over privileged Hollywood actors. It's a colossal joke to get so bent about that.
That was NOT my reply to you. I did change my view of whats right and wrong and violence etc. in a later post.
My issue with you is your dismissal of how devastating and life changing the DISEASE is. You stated so your bald? Thats NOT the entire disease. It is life changing. But of course, in your little world of hate, it is nothing. Talk about self absorbed. Jeeezzzz!

That was NOT my reply to you. I did change my view of whats right and wrong and violence etc. in a later post.
My issue with you is your dismissal of how devastating and life changing the DISEASE is. You stated so your bald? Thats NOT the entire disease. It is life changing. But of course, in your little world of hate, it is nothing. Talk about self absorbed. Jeeezzzz!

Really? So what's the rest of the disease? Are you talking primary or secondary allopecia? Other than baldness there are no other issues. Please educate me. My years as a health care professional are alluding me right now. I'll wait, but won't hold my breath.

Alternate Hollyweird theory: the whole incident was staged to make people talk about an event that the world has largely lost interest in.
I had thought of that, but there's a disparity between Will's initial reaction and ultimate behavior, which appears to be caused by Jada's reaction.

My vote is for Kevin Hart as Chris and Dwayne Johnson as Will. 😁

Haha! I think they pretty much already did that movie. It was called Jumanji.

The seemingly scrawny and weak guy is stronger than you think (takes a hit),
and the much bigger guy is way more insecure, and thinks it is somehow ok to
slap another man in the face like Scarlett in Gone With The Wind. ;)

Alternate Hollyweird theory: the whole incident was staged to make people talk about an event that the world has largely lost interest in.
That's kinda what I was thinking. The whole thing, including his initial laugh, his wife's reaction, then his "changed stance" could've totally been scripted.
Remember the Jerry Lawler/ Andy Kauffman incident? The whole thing lasted years (it was more than just the slap on Letterman), and was played beautifully.
The "good people working on the movies" aren't the super stars. Yes, there are many of them. That being said, I don't know any one of these people personally. So maybe they are good people. They just act like assholes to put on airs. What Smith did shows his utter disregard for anyone but himself. Whether he is a good person or not, at this point, means nothing. From those actions, he is not a good person at all. From that moment forward. And no, what he did was not a mistake. It was intentional and with purpose. At any point on his walk up to slap Rock, he could have stopped himself, and turned right around. He didn't. Which makes him an irrational scumbag.
Really?? How many of us have acted irrationally in a moment of stress (the look from his wife), then regretted doing so? If you were to take a snapshot of a man at each of his worst moments with his kids and wife, yet compare those shots to a movie that shows him being, in general, a loving, caring, responsible husband and father, which would truly reflect his nature? We all have our slips, and I for one am grateful they don't define me as a person. To err is human; To forgive, divine.

Also, power changes people. I dare say it would be hard for the average person to not let that power go to your head, in some ways.
To me, this is like when you read about a gang banger who didn't mean to shoot someone. No, of course not. He bought the gun. Bought the ammunition, loaded the ammunition, loaded the cartridge into the barrel, pointed the gun at someone, pulled the trigger, the bullet was expelled because of his actions, and hurt or killed someone. But yeah, he never meant to do that. Suuuuuure. Sounds kinda like what Alec Baldwin was saying, too. Another Hollywood moron.
This isn't a good analogy. One was acted upon quickly; the other had time, over days even, to think about it.

Really?? How many of us have acted irrationally in a moment of stress (the look from his wife), then regretted doing so?
I have never resorted to violence against anyone, ever, because of words. Ever. Have you? That is what's wrong right now. People, in today's day and age think it's okay to react violently because they are offended by words. Look around.

Being a responsible adult is knowing how and when to be rational. You put my family in danger, you will pay. You come at me violently, expect a violent response. But making fun of a family member? Expect a whiplash verbal retort. not physical violence.

Chris Rock is a comedian paid to make fun of people. His joke was not even close to being offensive. And some overprivileged, over paid nut taking offense to that to the point where they resort to physical violence over it? That's not irrational. That's lunacy.

Would he have hit a woman if she had made the same joke? Or maybe had Jason Mamoa made that joke? Would he have strolled up there like he did and laid it down? That's the litmus test here. I promise you he would not have hit a larger man or a woman. He hit a smaller man because he could. That's also not irrational. That's shameful. I'd love that asshole try to hit me like that out of the blue. He'd need Jada to peel me off of him. Chris Rock handled it incredibly well.

Last edited:
I have never resorted to violence against anyone, ever, because of words. Ever. Have you? That is what's wrong right now. People, in today's day and age think it's okay to react violently because they are offended by words. Look around.
Yes, I have. And I was raised in a violent home, so I modeled that behavior in my 20's. But I learned, and changed, and took personal responsibility, not for how what I witnessed formed my behavior, but for how I knew that I had to be the one to change that part of me. I'm not condoning it, and I agree that too many things in the world today are trying to be solved by too many people, using violence.
But judging a person from that point on, when it's something that was a bad reaction...? No.

Yes, I have. And I was raised in a violent home, so I modeled that behavior in my 20's. But I learned, and changed, and took personal responsibility, not for how what I witnessed formed my behavior, but for how I knew that I had to be the one to change that part of me. I'm not condoning it, and I agree that too many things in the world today are trying to be solved by too many people, using violence.
But judging a person from that point on, when it's something that was a bad reaction...? No.

I was also raised in a violent home.

There is no excuse for violence because of words. None.

Back
Top Bottom