And you thought the Oscars were boring!!!

Watch the clip and you see Will initially laugh at the joke. You can simultaneously see Jada is PO'd. I'm guessing Will glanced at Jada and felt like he was backed into a corner.

Sort of weird because he reportedly has no problem with other dudes having sex with his wife, but feels the need to react violently to Rock's joke.

What if it had been Mel Gibson… He would’ve been cuffed, perp walk out to the parking lot and executed. Different standards. We all know it.

This event has been a perfect microcosm of what is wrong in large part with our society today. It was a fucking joke.

Don’t throw down unless you’re ready for the consequences. Will Smith has 80 pounds on Chris Rock. Try doing that again someone your own size.

Chris rock was the better Man by far.

Breaking news: Chris Rock’s ticket sales have doubled overnight. Period
Yes different standards for sure-funny this time the black guys didn't go to jail. 99.9% of the time they do...........sorry but that's the way society is.
I reacted mainly because i cannot stand the racist crap that spews from ROCKS mouth for decades. Or from anyone's mouth ,black or white!
***OK so yes, I will make an ABOUT FACE, violence of any kind sucks.
Especially when you have seen REAL VIOLENCE first hand like many of us have.
BUT, give me a break, the poor white folks-I am a white folk but I also see reality................

This whole "Alopecia" thing has been blown WAAAAAY out of proportion. It's not a "health condition" other than going bald. Period. There are no other long term health issues related to it, it doesn't cause any longstanding metabolic disease, and is not something someone "suffers" from. It doesn't cause pain or disability. It's baldness. Jada isn't dying from some rare disease, she isn't disabled from it, and she won't live less long because she has it. This is bordering on the ridiculous already. If anything, someone of her status can buy as many wigs as she wants and have a different hairstyle every day. We can't make fun of baldness now? Good God, Telly Savalas is rolling in his grave! As Jack Nicholson said in 1989's Batman ..."this town needs an enema!!" Jeebus.
Seriously? Tell that to Molly Tuttle, killer bluegrass picker. NO HAIR ON YOUR WHOE BODY, not just bald. Jeeezzz...........

Seriously? Tell that to Molly Tuttle, killer bluegrass picker. NO HAIR ON YOUR WHOE BODY, not just bald. Jeeezzz...........
Yes, seriously. People need to get over themselves. Especially entitled, over privileged Hollywood actors. It's a colossal joke to get so bent about that.

If you analyze the video its pretty clear to me that Will had no problem with the joke, look at this image it is the moment after the joke, he is laughing at it...until he looks at his wife, at that moment he knew he was fucked if he didn't do something. The camera then turns back at Chris and a few seconds latter Will stands and does the slap.

51968935898_b486c7c820_b.jpg

Watch the clip and you see Will initially laugh at the joke. You can simultaneously see Jada is PO'd. I'm guessing Will glanced at Jada and felt like he was backed into a corner.

Sort of weird because he reportedly has no problem with other dudes having sex with his wife, but feels the need to react violently to Rock's joke.

This guy does a pretty good job of breaking down what may have been going on in Will's head:

https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...mith-takes-his-humiliation-out-on-chris-rock/

Yeah....that's what I was thinking. I don't remember if it was ITT or elsewhere, but....someone said that they blamed Jada for completely destroying Will Smith, and while I don't want to totally condemn her based on the filtered and obviously incomplete information that's made it out into the media....

I would have left her years ago.

Yes, seriously. People need to get over themselves. Especially entitled, over privileged Hollywood actors. It's a colossal joke to get so bent about that.

You know....there are a lot of really genuinely good people working in movies. Most of them, in fact. It seems like it's mostly the super-famous ones that tend to be shit shows.

If you analyze the video its pretty clear to me that Will had no problem with the joke, look at this image it is the moment after the joke, he is laughing at it...until he looks at his wife, at that moment he knew he was fucked if he didn't do something. The camera then turns back at Chris and a few seconds latter Will stands and does the slap.
Exactly. Sort of reacted like a cornered animal.

You know....there are a lot of really genuinely good people working in movies. Most of them, in fact. It seems like it's mostly the super-famous ones that tend to be shit shows.

The "good people working on the movies" aren't the super stars. Yes, there are many of them. That being said, I don't know any one of these people personally. So maybe they are good people. They just act like assholes to put on airs. What Smith did shows his utter disregard for anyone but himself. Whether he is a good person or not, at this point, means nothing. From those actions, he is not a good person at all. From that moment forward. And no, what he did was not a mistake. It was intentional and with purpose. At any point on his walk up to slap Rock, he could have stopped himself, and turned right around. He didn't. Which makes him an irrational scumbag.

To me, this is like when you read about a gang banger who didn't mean to shoot someone. No, of course not. He bought the gun. Bought the ammunition, loaded the ammunition, loaded the cartridge into the barrel, pointed the gun at someone, pulled the trigger, the bullet was expelled because of his actions, and hurt or killed someone. But yeah, he never meant to do that. Suuuuuure. Sounds kinda like what Alec Baldwin was saying, too. Another Hollywood moron.

I don't know any one of these people personally. So maybe they are good people.
I do. My wife works in film. I don't bump elbows with A-list actors, but I've at least spoken to a decent number when there were no cameras or press around. And, no, I'm not telling any stories. FWIW, crew parties are more fun than cast parties. No, Will Smith is not one of the ones I've met (I think I'm 2 degrees away...I'd have to look at his credits to be sure).

There are drastic differences between people, just like everywhere. For some reason, we see a lot of the super-famous people acting like idiots, probably just because it sells ad space. And because a lot of people end up having parasocial relationships with the characters these celebrities play either in roles or in the media. Will Smith having such a wholesome image for so long, then having a shit show of a marriage, then this....a lot of people feel personally betrayed. A lot of others are going to excuse it because the parasocial relationship is worth more to them, just like you're more likely to make excuses for a friend than a stranger...up to a point.

I'm not really a fan of condemning people for their worst moment. Sometimes, it's egregious enough that it's justified (like Alec Baldwin). I'm not convinced this is one of those cases....he's had a hard life at different points and a hard few years. It's understandable but not excusable, especially in context. I don't think this one action makes him an "irrational scumbag". But, whether or not he deserves any respect will depend on how he deals with it and the issues that caused it. And, I'm not sure that the real story is ever going to go public.

I do think it's funny that this is the one story from the Oscars that it seems like everyone is focusing on.

Not most of the room proving that they're uninformed and illiterate.

Not the obvious displays of double-standards with regard to sexual objectification of people.

Not, or at least less so, the big picture cultural significance of these being the worst-watched Oscars in decades when adjusted for population size.

Not the fact that the winner of Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Adapted screenplay grossed about 10% of it's budget.

Not that the movie that the Best Actress winner was in grossed about 1% of its budget.

Heck, even the movie Will Smith won for only grossed 80% of its budget.

Money isn't everything where art is concerned. But, the biggest story of the night is that the Academy is totally and completely out of touch with American culture.

Back
Top Bottom