And you thought the Oscars were boring!!!

Yeah the joke was in poor taste and below the belt considering the health issues involved, but Smith should have shown more restraint. Nobody faults him for being pissed. I'd be livid if someone was talking shit about my wife's health issues like that, but Rock is an edgy comedian doing a bit on stage. Are we going to let anyone that gets offended by a performer storm the stage and start swinging? Time to keep the testosterone in check and think a little bit. He's lucky Rock declined to press charges.

This whole "Alopecia" thing has been blown WAAAAAY out of proportion. It's not a "health condition" other than going bald. Period. There are no other long term health issues related to it, it doesn't cause any longstanding metabolic disease, and is not something someone "suffers" from. It doesn't cause pain or disability. It's baldness. Jada isn't dying from some rare disease, she isn't disabled from it, and she won't live less long because she has it. This is bordering on the ridiculous already. If anything, someone of her status can buy as many wigs as she wants and have a different hairstyle every day. We can't make fun of baldness now? Good God, Telly Savalas is rolling in his grave! As Jack Nicholson said in 1989's Batman ..."this town needs an enema!!" Jeebus.

A step in the right direction for sure. Takes a big person to admit when you screwed up and apologize.

This was Will Smith being sent to the Principal's Office and being forced to apologize. His handlers didn't give him a choice. The deed is done. His real persona has been exposed in front of millions of people. Live on TV. Sickening. He should be blackballed.

FO8ES-IXEAUAkCZ

I don't think it was a very funny joke, but I don't think it was below the belt either; to me, it's a compliment. If I think of the film GI Jane, from my understanding it's a story of female empowerment against brutal odds. I wouldn't look at a timid Julie Hagerty in Reversal of Fortune and think she'd could play a badass soldier, but I look at Jada Pinkett Smith in Collateral (a film I freakin love) and think Yeah, that's a badass lady who could play a badass soldier. And shaving her head just underscores that feel. I mean, take a look at Alien 3. Another shaved head performance of a lady being a badass. I don't think Sigourney Weaver is a very good actor, but I do think she can play a badass, and I think that's a compliment.

I haven't read anything about Jada Pinkett Smith's struggles with her looks over this, but I'm not seeing a lady who's suffering here. The way she presents herself in public seems very very confident. She posted a damn video shoot of herself in that enormous dress just before the Oscar ceremony, for god's sake. I'm not condoning shitting on spouses for no good reason, but I think it really was read the wrong way. And even if it was meant as a roast, again, I say that's a form of comedy in itself. Should we shit on the ghost of Don Rickles? What it seems to me is she might take herself too seriously, and Will Smith, for all his natural acting talent and his natural charisma, might just be publicly facing his inability to deal with being a cuckold, and, coupled with an enormous sense of entitlement, has no problem dominating a situation to play out what he should be facing with a therapist. It's messed up, but I just see a misdirected psychological outburst. I love some of Denzel Washington's performances (everybody go watch Glory now!), so I was wincing to learn that he was "counseling" Will Smith right after. How about running over to Chris Rock to say, "Hey Man, that was fucked up."

For his part, I thought Chris Rock showed a ton of class, and I couldn't believe, for as obviously flustered as he was, that he could actually make a pretty funny joke out of it, even while he had visible trouble stringing together sentences, probably from an insane adrenaline rush. I respect him both for keeping his cool and for essentially saying, Dude, that was a dumb joke. Why the hell are you overreacting like this?

I never saw G.I. Jane and couldn’t remember who was in it. I just assumed Jada Pickett was in it and the joke was just a sarcastic comment about a mediocre sequel.

“The exchange began when Rock took aim at Pinkett Smith’s shaved head, saying, “Jada, I love you. ‘G.I. Jane 2,’ can’t wait to see it, all right?” Rock’s reference was made from the 1997 film “G.I. Jane,” starring Demi Moore, who shaved her head to portray a fictional Navy Seal candidate.”

Okay, I’m all caught up now!

If I wanted to watch a slap-fest, I'd go to a kindergarten. I prefer watching UFC, where violence is justified.

IMHO, violence is an integral part of nature, one only has to watch an episode of Attenborough to understand that it exists in all living things and every human being is capable of using it.

California, and much of the world is becoming a tribal jungle, so there's no surprise to me that Will decided to defend his turf.

The more shocking thing to me about the award ceremony was seeing woke hypocrysy on display as a woman groped multiple men on stage. If a man had done that...well, the media would have blown up and a mere 'slap' wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Bottom line, no matter who you side with or whether you agree or disagree with violence, the only thing really odd about this entire affair boils down to one singular detail. He freaking got up from his seat, walked up the steps and did it at the Oscars on global live television. It’s nuts.
Yeah....apparently, they don't have security.

I think I'm coming down on losing a lot of respect for Will Smith. His crisis management firm wrote a good apology, though.

Bottom line, no matter who you side with or whether you agree or disagree with violence, the only thing really odd about this entire affair boils down to one singular detail. He freaking got up from his seat, walked up the steps and did it at the Oscars on global live television. It’s nuts.

Yup. Even in bars inebriated guys will say, "Let's take this outside." Will's bar (pun intended!) was apparently much lower than
even that standard.

You can see Chris look side-stage with a WTF look on his face after it happened. I am guessing all he saw was the "keep going"
hand signal.

As Freddie Mercury once sang, "The Show Must Go On!" :)

Back
Top Bottom