And you thought the Oscars were boring!!!

Will Smith has become just another classless, arrogant Hollywood bonehead. Really disappointing. I’ve always been a fan. The joke was in poor taste, but Will took it like a 2-year-old tripping over his own feet. Fame turns people weird.

Oh ya, once the eyebrow goes up, he'd be screwed!

View attachment 98890
Damn. If only this was actually the beginning of a WWE feud. 😂

They are still boring. A lot of the reason why is because movie making is dying. People don't really want to watch great movies anymore. I read that the oscar nominies all together, only made 25% of what the last Spiderman movie made. Not a lot of reason for studios to put a lot into anything new or interesting.

Will Smith has become just another classless, arrogant Hollywood bonehead. Really disappointing. I’ve always been a fan. The joke was in poor taste, but Will took it like a 2-year-old tripping over his own feet. Fame turns people weird.

Apparently, this is what Denzel Washington said to him.

“In your highest moments, be careful, that’s when the devil comes for you.”

They are still boring. A lot of the reason why is because movie making is dying. People don't really want to watch great movies anymore. I read that the oscar nominies all together, only made 25% of what the last Spiderman movie made. Not a lot of reason for studios to put a lot into anything new or interesting.

People want to watch great movies, the problem is great movies aren't made any more.

As for the slap, meh whatever. I see both sides of the argument but I also have a profound disdain for people that mock disabilities/conditions, however I think a verbal retort would have sufficed in this case because of the nature of when/where.

People want to watch great movies, the problem is great movies aren't made any more.

As for the slap, meh whatever. I see both sides of the argument but I also have a profound disdain for people that mock disabilities/conditions, however I think a verbal retort would have sufficed in this case because of the nature of when/where.

I honestly don't think a lot of people care anymore. There are too many other forms of entertainment. People spend their time watching shitheads on YouTube. Even the last time I went to the movies in a theater, years ago, there were people in the audience watching stuff on their phones during the movie. I just think tastes have changed. People are happier binge watching a season of something on a streaming service than watching one movie.

I think back to the 80s, when there were some blockbuster movies that stayed in the theater for months. When is the last time that happened. Movies are in theaters for the blink of an eye now, because there is another crappy movie coming and the peak box office was a total of two weeks. They make so many movies now, but almost none of them have any lasting cultural significance. What movies made now do you think anyone will still be talking about 20 years from now. 50. Think to your own favorite movies. Any made this decade? Since 2000?

I think it's a chicken and egg thing, and I don't see anyone trying to make a quality movie when it'll be cast aside and released to streaming services two weeks after nobody shows up to watch it in a theater.

I honestly don't think a lot of people care anymore. There are too many other forms of entertainment. People spend their time watching shitheads on YouTube. Even the last time I went to the movies in a theater, years ago, there were people in the audience watching stuff on their phones during the movie. I just think tastes have changed. People are happier binge watching a season of something on a streaming service than watching one movie.

I think back to the 80s, when there were some blockbuster movies that stayed in the theater for months. When is the last time that happened. Movies are in theaters for the blink of an eye now, because there is another crappy movie coming and the peak box office was a total of two weeks. They make so many movies now, but almost none of them have any lasting cultural significance. What movies made now do you think anyone will still be talking about 20 years from now. 50. Think to your own favorite movies. Any made this decade? Since 2000?

I think it's a chicken and egg thing, and I don't see anyone trying to make a quality movie when it'll be cast aside and released to streaming services two weeks after nobody shows up to watch it in a theater.

You're right there actually, are films shit because no one cares or does no one care because the films are shit?

The last good film I saw was Joker and no, I genuinely couldn't see any film made in the last 20 or so years ever being considered a "classic" and I think a large part of that is because they try to ram too much of whatever political or social trend is going on at that particular time in to the story.

Mighty convenient for Will that it was Chris Rock, and not f. ex. The Rock, up there on stage telling jokes. And I really hate agreeing with Kathy Griffin of all people, but members of the audience taking it upon themselves to go to stages to let artists know how they feel should be unequivocally condemned no matter the context.

I wouldn't hesitate to knock the shit out of someone disrespecting my wife. Any man that doesn't stand up for his wife and family isn't much of a man in my book. Cripple? No....put his teeth through his lip and give him a scar to remember his poor choice of words %100. I'd gladly take an assault charge over my wife. You better believe it.

And what about the resulting bankruptcy claim, losing your home, et al, when the guy fills a lawsuit against you ?

Assault charge would be the least of your problems….

But hey, your wife’s honor before anything right ?

For that matter, how can you be so sure your just going to disfigure the guy ? How do you know he won’t fall back, crack his head on the floor and bleed out ?

Then what, you got 5-10 years for manslaughter easy. How you going to provide for your family while locked up ?

Sounds as stupid as when someone shoots and kills another person because they cut them off on traffic etc, “oh well I didn’t mean to kill him your honor”…..

Throwing away your life because someone disrespected you, scuffed your sneakers, spilled your drink, et al is just beyond dumb, no ?

Wonder how many of those guys sit in their cell thinking “ totally worth it” ?

Last edited:
And what about the resulting bankruptcy claim, losing your home, et al, when the guy fills a lawsuit against you ?

Assault charge would be the least of your problems….

But hey, your wife’s honor before anything right ?
Really? For slapping an asshole? I think that speaks more of how pathetic the legal system is more than anything. Not to mention peoples lack of understanding that "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean carte blanche freedom from consequence or how they run to the law because they faced a consequence.

Far too many people dont get the "attitude adjuster" they need these days but feel unrestricted in some of the foul shit that comes out of their mouth and expect people to accept it.

Unpopular opinion these days but there it is.

Just to play devils advocate at what provocation, if not verbal, is it acceptable to respond physically? I'm not judging any replies, I'm just interested in the consensus so no flame throwers please.

Really? For slapping an asshole? I think that speaks more of how pathetic the legal system is more than anything. Not to mention peoples lack of understanding that "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean carte blanche freedom from consequence or how they run to the law because they faced a consequence.

Far too many people dont get the "attitude adjuster" they need these days but feel unrestricted in some of the foul shit that comes out of their mouth and expect people to accept it.

Unpopular opinion these days but there it is.

Just to play devils advocate at what provocation, if not verbal, is it acceptable to respond physically? I'm not judging any replies, I'm just interested in the consensus so no flame throwers please.
i think the response must be equal to but not greater than the threat. If someone verbally assaults... the response is a verbal assault. If someone physically threatens... then the response is physical one. it's that simple. If you slap the guy, and he falls and breaks his neck, you are as guilty as someone who intends to rob a house and ends up shooting someone. just my humble o... but I think it follows the law pretty close.

When we were young, a friend of mine punched a dude who was badmouthing him and in general being an ass. While he had the punch coming, the dude fell on the ground, hit his head and received a brain injury. That made me really, really hesitant about using physical violence on anyone, but to answer your question if someone comes swinging, I'm swinging back until the situation resolves itself or I get my ass handed to me. If someone says naughty words to me, I've probably heard worse and am still standing.

To recap, self defense = good. Resorting to violence because someone's "being an ass" = well, you (not you, who I quoted, specifically but the general you) do you, and be ready to face to consequences.

I wouldn't hesitate to knock the shit out of someone disrespecting my wife. Any man that doesn't stand up for his wife and family isn't much of a man in my book. Cripple? No....put his teeth through his lip and give him a scar to remember his poor choice of words %100. I'd gladly take an assault charge over my wife. You better believe it.

You sure can try, but you never know who the other guy is what he has on him. I've been in a situation like you describe, and if you initiate the physical assault, not only are you liable, but any retaliation by the party you are attacking is 100% justified. There will always be someone better than you. And if you meet that person in this situation, you lose 100% of the time. And can get seriously injured. You assume you will come out on top, physically. Those tend to be the guys who lose. Quickly.

I hope you carry really good insurance. Knock someone's teeth out and puncture his lip like that...you better have the bucks to pay for the medical bills. Tens of thousands of dollars. You ready to lose your house over that if you don't?

When we were young, a friend of mine punched a dude who was badmouthing him and in general being an ass. While he had the punch coming, the dude fell on the ground, hit his head and received a brain injury. That made me really, really hesitant about using physical violence on anyone, but to answer your question if someone comes swinging, I'm swinging back until the situation resolves itself or I get my ass handed to me. If someone says naughty words to me, I've probably heard worse and am still standing.

To recap, self defense = good. Resorting to violence because someone's "being an ass" = well, you (not you, who I quoted, specifically but the general you) do you, and be ready to face to consequences.

Exactly right, sir.

Back
Top Bottom