And speaking of input volume

andyp13

Power User
did I read that adjusting the input volume just alters the signal to noise and does not adjust the actual volume...... Because mine does, if I turn it down it's quiet, if I turn it up its louder and also increases the drive into my amp block creating more drive etc.....

I adjuster the input from 07.3 to 18.0 and at last nights rehearsal noticed more gain that usual, I found it difficult to clean up. Today IV put the input back to 07.3 and it was cleaner.

The Input Level in the I/O Front Panel Parameter does not affect amp gain, volume level or output and is for S/N ratio. It almost sounds like you are describing the Input Trim in the Amp Block. Can you clarify?

It's the input in the I/O - there's 3 volume levels - input 1 2 & 3. I'm using input 1 as I am plugged into the front panel, and it does alter the volume significantly. If I have the volume on '0' the sound is weak and thin as I increase it the sound fills out and becomes stronger as I increase it further I can push mr drive block further into distortion.

At very low values the input level setting can alter the level reaching the grid. Above a certain amount it's not supposed to.

Is there a reason you initially set it so low, like high output pickups? The most common suggestion would probably be to set as described in the manual, then adjust presets (or maybe global amp gain) for the sound you want.

I when I first got my axe I adjusted it to "tickle the input meter" which I believe lights up at -6db? Might be something else I'm thinking of....
I adjusted it to around 23 at that point.
Then a day or so later once I learned the basic of the unit I just reset it and left it at default 49.
I found the tone was a lot fuller and I got a real nice powerful signal through.
I do however more than tickle the input LEDs though if I play hard.

When I received my AXE, the input level was set to 49. I plugged my cable in the back and played hard, (I'm using line level, coming from a processor. It never lights the red, but all the yellows are solid, which is a good thing. Left it there and it is perfect. The perfect scenario is to achieve maximum unity gain throughout your rig, before clipping. Some people like to tickle the red input LEDs when playing hard. I'd rather get as close as I can and not worry about clipping.

@andyp13 those values seem really low.

Are you running a line level signal instead of a instrument level?

I have never run below 49.0 even with overwound humbuckers.

Hmm......My Axe-Fx ll, mark 1 is 'Tickling the Reds' at 33.3 using an Ernie Ball/Music Man 'Axis' with stock passive pickups? I never thought of them as high output pickups?

did I read that adjusting the input volume just alters the signal to noise and does not adjust the actual volume...... Because mine does, if I turn it down it's quiet, if I turn it up its louder and also increases the drive into my amp block creating more drive etc.....

I adjuster the input from 07.3 to 18.0 and at last nights rehearsal noticed more gain that usual, I found it difficult to clean up. Today IV put the input back to 07.3 and it was cleaner.
The 'Inverse volume compensation' of the 3 'A/D Input Levels' aren't perfect. At the extreme ends there is a change in the volume that inters the 'Grid'.

But they should be set per the manual for the best 'signal to noise' ratio. And make level adjustments where ever you need to with the huge inventory of possibilities available.

Last edited:
The input level has no effect on my volume. Because I set it once when I got my Axe FX 2 and haven't touched it since.

image.jpeg

I am using a strat with EMG pickups, single coil SA and an 89 coiltapped humbucker... Anything above 0.7 will run red when using the humbucker

View attachment 32564

I am using a strat with EMG pickups, single coil SA and an 89 coiltapped humbucker... Anything above 0.7 will run red when using the humbucker

Love that guitar. Nice.

There is no input pad in the Fractal to handle cases like this. But running less than 1.0 seems strange to me.

I don't have any EMG's except in a bass and it doesn't overdrive the input like yours.

All my guitars are passive. But I don't crank up the pickup height either. I prefer a lower pickup for more clarity and string separation. I'm sure I end up with somewhat lower output because of it.

My Strat with Kinmans, I run at 77.0 input and never tickle the reds with full on Townsend strumming.

I run my Les Paul with WCR pups at 49.0 and don't tickle the red either.

Vintage 335 at 55.0.

Maximum gain and unity gain are different things. :)
Not for what I was talking about. Maybe you should read it again.:rolleyes: I was not referring to Maximum gain vs. Unity Gain.
"Maximum Unity Gain" is where you achieve the maximum optimum input/output before clipping, in each stage of your chain. Don't confuse what I'm talking about vs. pre/post amp gain. The input gain on the AXE is like the gain knob on a mixing console. It's controlling the signal gain input. Too low causes weak input, too high causes clipping. Of course the settings will differ for various guitars, processors, wireless units, etc.. And if your input is set too low or high, the result will apply to all presets in the AXE. If your red input LEDs are blinking, in theory you are clipping or are near clipping, not leaving any headroom left for peaks. Anything above 0dbFS will clip. To maintain proper headroom you need enough remaining signal range, above RMS signal, to accommodate peaks without clipping. This is why I adjust input/output with no red LEDs blinking. Again that clipping will be generated to every preset. If using multiple guitars, I would set the input gain, using the hottest guitar in my arsenal. Of course best scenario would be to set each one properly, but that's not practical. And with output gain, if you are going to a mixing console, you can set the gain too low, where you would have to increase the gain on the mixer, or too high where even with the mixer's gain knob at its lowest, you are still clipping.
Now set the volume knob on your amp for your optimum listening level. But remember amps can clip too.

Last edited:
View attachment 32564

Are you referring to the global input gain on the AXE? Because that seems awful low to me as well. I grabbed my hottest active pickup guitar, plugged direct and set the global input until it clipped, then lowered it and ended up at 45. When using the guitars, I mostly use, my global input is at 49.

Just to confirm, you are speaking of the Inst level, not Input 1 or Input 2 level on the I/O menu?
This thread is interesting, because I cannot go above 18% with any of my guitars. I read on the Wiki Cliff has his at 100% for a vintage strat.
I wonder if something has been wrong with my Axe all these years? I've never been able to get the tuner to work for me, it just jumps all over the place. Maybe the signal hitting it has been too weak? I read about people just dialing up any amp and cab and it sounds awesome, for me I've had to struggle for hours to get a usable sound. I love my Axe - but wonder if its actually way better than I ever thought??

I can get it up to 15.3 when on the humbucker (single notes only) on chords the Reds come on occasionally, is 15% and acceptable instrument level?

The input gain on the AXE is like the gain knob on a mixing console. It's controlling the signal gain input. Too low causes weak input, too high causes clipping. Of course the settings will differ for various guitars, processors, wireless units, etc.. And if your input is set too low or high, the result will apply to all presets in the AXE. If your red input LEDs are blinking, in theory you are clipping or are near clipping, not leaving any headroom left for peaks. Anything above 0dbFS will clip. To maintain proper headroom you need enough remaining signal range, above RMS signal, to accommodate peaks without clipping. This is why I adjust input/output with no red LEDs blinking. Again that clipping will be generated to every preset. If using multiple guitars, I would set the input gain, using the hottest guitar in my arsenal. Of course best scenario would be to set each one properly, but that's not practical. And with output gain, if you are going to a mixing console, you can set the gain too low, where you would have to increase the gain on the mixer, or too high where even with the mixer's gain knob at its lowest, you are still clipping.
Now set the volume knob on your amp for your optimum listening level. But remember amps can clip too.

Tommy, Rex knows very well what he's talking about. ;-)

We're talking about I/O > A/D Input Levels here. It's absolutely not the same as the GAIN knob on a mixer. A/D Input Level does NOT affect input / amp gain, does not make the signal louder or softer, and is not related to digital clipping of presets.

Try it: signal/tone is exactly the same at 25% and at 80%.

Only at extreme low and high settings (the OP is setting it extremely low), signal level and tone is affected, so one should avoid those.​

When the IN LED lits red, the input signal isn't "clipping" yet. The red light turns on at -6dB of the critical point. At the critical point the signal is hard limited.

Tommy, Rex knows very well what he's talking about. ;-)

We're talking about I/O > A/D Input Levels here. It's absolutely not the same as the GAIN knob on a mixer. A/D Input Level does NOT affect input / amp gain, does not make the signal louder or softer, and is not related to digital clipping of presets.

Only at extreme low and high settings (the OP is setting it extremely low), signal level and tone is affected, so one should avoid those.​

When the IN LED lits red, the input signal isn't "clipping" yet. The red light turns on at -6dB of the critical point. At the critical point the signal is hard limited.
I hear ya. I know the difference but I obviously misunderstood the I/O input level use. I just experimented, as you suggested, and could not really hear any differences between 25 and 100%. I've been set at 49. So what is the proper setting for the I/O input levels and to clear things up what does the I/O input levels do exactly?

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom