And God said let there be bluetooth midi...

pamisano

Inspired
Wonder what the range is on that. It's getting closer to instant random access to songs, something most foot switch makers don't program for reasons I don't get, MFC included.

The Gordius little giant foot switch has 10-key entry -- punch in 3 numbers and you have instant random access to any song in your show, and a complex stream of midi commands can be sent when the "preset" launches. Kinda like setlist maker except you're doing it with your feet in about the same time you'd flick up or down an iPad screen and select a song.

An iPad in front of you adds a strange vibe to the gig. People come up and think you have it as a crutch and/or it's on the internet and you have instant audio and lyrics download to any song on the planet. Therefore you should be able to play them all, girl songs included. And/or they start thinking they can get up and karaoke with you…it's weird.

Not quite getting my head around this please can you give an example on how this is used?

I've been playing with it for a while using OnSong.
When selecting a song within the OnSong iOS application (iPhone or iPad), you can set it up to automatically send over a preset to the Axe-FX.
I also setup remote "Presets" within OnSong. Basically empty songs with just presets for the Axe-FX..

Now looking into the Lemur Axe-Fx utility to get it updated to the new version of Lemur, then updated to support FW17.
It's taking me a bit of time, especially with all the holidays upon me..

Hey John, please let me know if you are going to do anything with Lemur. Would love to continue that AxeForLemur project!

I've been playing with it for a while using OnSong.
When selecting a song within the OnSong iOS application (iPhone or iPad), you can set it up to automatically send over a preset to the Axe-FX.
I also setup remote "Presets" within OnSong. Basically empty songs with just presets for the Axe-FX..

Now looking into the Lemur Axe-Fx utility to get it updated to the new version of Lemur, then updated to support FW17.

Wonder what the range is on that. It's getting closer to instant random access to songs, something most foot switch makers don't program for reasons I don't get, MFC included.

The Gordius little giant foot switch has 10-key entry -- punch in 3 numbers and you have instant random access to any song in your show, and a complex stream of midi commands can be sent when the "preset" launches. Kinda like setlist maker except you're doing it with your feet in about the same time you'd flick up or down an iPad screen and select a song.

An iPad in front of you adds a strange vibe to the gig. People come up and think you have it as a crutch and/or it's on the internet and you have instant audio and lyrics download to any song on the planet. Therefore you should be able to play them all, girl songs included. And/or they start thinking they can get up and karaoke with you…it's weird.

Well, some are or at least did. Nobels MF1 and MF2 could do it, although only within 128 presets (0-127). Lexicon MPX R1 could do it too, and there you could define the bank range. But yeah, it´s a bit odd that not more makers of footcontrollers are providing that...

How are these powered? And can they be configured to talk to each other direct?

And along the same lines, can you put one transmit unit on your floor controller, and one receive unit on your Axe-FX, and then use your floor controller to wirelessly control your Axe-FX?

And along the same lines, can you put one transmit unit on your floor controller, and one receive unit on your Axe-FX, and then use your floor controller to wirelessly control your Axe-FX?

Nope, These are Bluetooth to MIDI transceivers only. Think along the lines of a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse, except you need to power them. They are not battery powered, they need power from the MIDI port.
These devices receive/send MIDI data and send that data along a BLE Bluetooth connection. In order to be peer2peer they would need a lot more "brains".
I have not been able to get the mi.1 working while connected to the MFC-101.
The mi.1 gets power and talks to the iPhone properly, but MIDI data transmitted is not picked up by the MFC-101 or Axe-Fx when connected to the MFC-101.
It may be a config setting with the MFC, but I could not get it working. Everything works fine when the mi.1 is connected to the back of the Axe-Fx.

Okay. Makes sense. Can the app/ios device act as a server between two or more sets to accomplish what Dpoirier asks?

Okay. Makes sense. Can the app/ios device act as a server between two or more sets to accomplish what Dpoirier asks?

No, the mini mi.1 IOS app is a "helper" app that reroutes MIDI output data from your IOS application to a mi.1 device.
The application does not have a mi.1 device <-> mi.1 device capability.
You typically tell the app to listen in for MIDI data from "Garageband, OnSong, JamUp Pro, etc." and send data back and forth to "mi.1" device.
The mini app is designed to run in the background and help to route data from IOS app to an mi.1 device and back.
Very simple, no fancy routing, like MIDI in from one app, then return MIDI to a different app.
I also don't see support for multiple mi.1's. Of course this device just came out and we are getting the first batch of devices.
I suspect the software and hardware will be updated as time goes on, but it does provide all the functionality that I need!

Please, please yes

So, I could use my iPad as a foot controller too.
Not sure I want toe jam on there.

Joking aside, that is cool

Back
Top Bottom